PDA

View Full Version : Trem or Vibe? Help needed.

Jimi75
January 28th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Hey folks,

I am currently building up my new set up. Actually, I am looking for a kind of modulation effect. I took two effects into consideration which are the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe and the Fulltone Supa Trem. Here comes my problem....I am indecisive. On the one hand I love Hendrix as everyone knows (1+ for the Vibe) on the other hand I want to come up with something more personel instead of running the typical set up so many people run (1+ for the Trem).

The Supa Trem sounds awesome and I could imagine using it for slower ballad stuff in my blues band. It's a double windmill for me. Any suggestions from you guys? There's an auction for a Supa Trem on ebay that ends in about 8 hours, so quick suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

J75

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Tremolo is great for slower stuff. You know the Cool Cat Tremolo is cheap but sounds terrific. Same for the Cool Cat Vibe, hehe! :)

Jimi75
January 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Tremolo is great for slower stuff. You know the Cool Cat Tremolo is cheap but sounds terrific. Same for the Cool Cat Vibe, hehe! :)

The Cool Cat pedals seem to be "cool" indeed, but they see mto colour the sound and to add volume when getting kicked in. Might give them a try anyways.

Blaze
January 28th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I think you already have the OCD, Fulltone are reliable,
great sounding & have a good resale value..
No hesitation , go for both ..

Suggestion :Glass nexus (Damage control)

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Cool Cat Tremolo doesn't colour the tone at all. I love mine. There are probably other trems that are more vintage like, but try it. It's true bypass too. As for the Vibe, yes it has a small volume boost and it sure colours the tone - that's what it is supposed to do. ;)

marnold
January 28th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Tremolo is one of those effects that I personally don't find much use for. A Uni-Vibe sort of thing is good for some Hendrix and Trower. There's really no way to get a Uni-Vibe sound without a Uni-Vibe pedal (or its clones). It might seem cliche, but there's a reason why it is.

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I love tremolo. Listen to Oz Noy and Michael Landau. They both use tremolo often, albeit in very different ways. Bill Frisell of course needs to mentioned too.

R_of_G
January 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I agree with Robert, there are many uses for tremolo. In addition to the artists he mentioned, Marc Ribot uses tremolo quite often in different projects, often in different ways always. It's an effect that has a wide variety of uses depending on the player and the project.

I think a player of your skills Jimi75 could make good use of it.

Tone2TheBone
January 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Jimi the Mini Deja Vibe is killer go with that one.

oldguy
January 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Jimi, IMO, vibe first, then trem next.
It's true, there are lots of uses for trem, but for me, vibe is more useful all around.

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm the opposite, I use tremolo more than I use vibe.

oldguy
January 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I know, and you'd think with me being raised with country music I'd prefer it too, but I seem to lean towards a subtle vibe more often.
I don't use a lot of effects often anyways, but sometimes I like to make crazy sounds just 'cause..........

F_BSurfer
January 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I would agree with Robert the cool cat trem. good buy and cheap spend the money get a mojo vibe

markb
January 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Another happy tremolo user here. I find vibes and chorus just a little too cloudy, stomach churning even, for my tastes. If I want subtle pitch modulation my strat's got a vibrato built in. Give it a go, it's easy enough on slower numbers. Your trem has to float though.

Jimi75
January 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks for all the input and taking care of my request here.

Taking into cosideration the songs of my current band I think I go for the TREM first, although I love VIBE, too.

I think the Trem is a very underrated effect most of the new players don't appreciate.

Let me check the Danelectro Trem. The clips on their site sound very good, but I have to play and hear it in persona.

Regarding the vibe I will safe up for the Fulltone Deja Vibe. It's perfectly matches my taste.

J75

Robert
January 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Vibrato. :D