PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

Riley
July 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Hello. My name is Nate. I live in upstate New York. I'm a 30 year old science lab technician at a local college and married to a lovely woman! I've been playing guitar self taught now for 10 years. I mainly play electric guitar, but pick up my acoustic occationally. My main guitar hero is Jimmy Page. he is why I decided to start playing guitar. I mainly play classic rock and blues, but also dabble with hard rock, metal, and alternative/grunge rock. Some of my favorite bands are Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Eric Sardinas, Joe Bonamassa, SRV, and the list just goes on and on!! As for gear, I went through some hard times a while back and had to sell off almost all my high end gear, which is why I got into the hard times, LOL! But currently I still have my first guitar, a MIM Strat which has been upgraded over the years with better electronics, pickups etc. I have an SX Les Paul which is dropped nickle covered Pearly Gates in, and all new electronics from RS guitarworks, along with a TonePros bridge and light weight tail piece. I have a stock MIM Muddy Waters telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul Junior. At work I keep a stock Squier '51 for lunch time enjoyment.:DR I plug into a loaded pedal board with various standard and boutique pedals, and then into a handbuilt custom made tube amp. A friend of mine built it. It's called a BF/Plexi AmpTramp. One channel is like a blackfaced fender and the other is like an old Plexi. 10 watts, three 12ax7's and one El34 power tube, and a 12" Weber Vintage 30 speaker. I look forward to reading and contributing to the forum. :D

-Peace
-Nate

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hello Nate.

This is a great place, Im sure that you will like it.

kerc
July 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I told Nate about this place, but I signed a release freeing me from any legal actions if he destroys this place.

Kidding!!! :D

Nate is a GREAT guy...We've been "co-forumites" on another music forum that unfortunately has drifted away from music far too much. He's a hell of a player, very soulful, and knows gear.

Welcome, bro! :)

Robert
July 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Welcome Nate! Man, that tube amp you mention there... it sounds very sweet. Tells us more! Got any clips?

That SX Les Paul - what do you think of it? Quality is good? I have an SX jazz bass that I like, but I will buy some of the SX guitars as well some time in the near future.

Tim
July 12th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Welcome Nate - We will expect great things form you. Until that time arrives, enjoy the forum and it's crazy members.

Spudman
July 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Welcome aboard Nate. As I tell all new members...hide your checkbook and credit card. We're probably going to have to change the name to GAS.net before too long. It's a fun place to be nonetheless.

kerc
July 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Welcome Nate! Man, that tube amp you mention there... it sounds very sweet. Tells us more! Got any clips?

Robert, Nate and me got those amps built by the same guy...Mine has a Blackface circuit with an additional switchable gain boost stage and a 1/2 power switch.

The guy builds excellent amplifiers, with top-notch workmanship, at a great price!

:D

Robert
July 12th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Kerc, why did you have to say that? :eek: Now the G.A.S attack I just got almost made me fall off my chair! How much do they cost? Does the guy have a website? Got clips?

*going for more coffee in attempt to cure the amph G.A.S attack...*

kerc
July 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Kerc, why did you have to say that? :eek: Now the G.A.S attack I just got almost made me fall off my chair! How much do they cost? Does the guy have a website? Got clips?

*going for more coffee in attempt to cure the amph G.A.S attack...*

Email him at amptramp@bellsouth.net ...Tell him Kerc sent you. :D

About a website, I'm actually working on his website (graphic design is a sideline for me)...It's supposed to be up before the end of month, if my main work doesn't suck away all my time!

:D

Guitar-Chris
July 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Wellcome Nate!

So as a owner of a Squier 51 this is the right place for you ;)

Everybody should at least have one Suier 51 at home :R

And let us hear a recording of your nice handmade amp, please.

Iago
July 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
and married to a lovely woman!

this part here was kinda funny, dunno why! :D

hope you enjoy the forum Nate..

oh change your avatar to a pic of your telecaster! :R

duhvoodooman
July 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM
this part here was kinda funny, dunno why! :D
Hey, it beats being married to an ugly man!! :D

Welcome, Riley. Always a pleasure to have another SRV fan here!! :DR

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Hey, it beats being married to an ugly man!! :D

Yeah! Like Todd Rundgren! :p

overthehill
July 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I found this forum a couple of months ago and was happy to see some people here in my age range[47 going on 20]I just recently started playing again after about 20 years.My wife thinks I'm a big kid but guitars are cheaper and safer than Harleys and affairs with younger women so she's cool with it.After watching a couple of Robert's free vids I started falling right back into it,he seems to have a natural talent for teaching. Great forum glad to be here.

SuperSwede
July 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM
.My wife thinks I'm a big kid but guitars are cheaper and safer than Harleys

Ah yes.. well that isnt entirely true :D

Spudman
July 17th, 2006, 08:50 PM
...but guitars are cheaper and safer than Harleys and affairs with younger women so she's cool with it. Great forum glad to be here.

Glad to have you aboard. Seems like we do have a strong membership in the 40 plus range. Cool.

Guitars, however, will never replace affairs with younger women. Cheaper? Maybe. Safer than a Harley? Yes, but not safer than a real motorcycle. Definitely safer than an affair with a younger woman if you are married. Unless you are Woody Allen.

Yes I love to create controversy, but I'm really tired of the Harley noise and just love the buzz of a performance machine.

Play on brother.

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Actually, there is evidence on Spud riding a real performance machine! What can you tell us about your ride (and since it isnt your wife on the picture, please tell us about the girl as well! :D )

http://moped2.org/i/vespa.jpg

Tim
July 18th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I found this forum a couple of months ago and was happy to see some people here in my age range[47 going on 20]

I have been sitting at 47 for 10 years now. But, anybody should feel at home here at the Fret Net. We do have a few young pups ... right Iago???

Riley
July 18th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome! HAHA! I hadn't checked back in this thread since I started it until now! LOL! Anyways, yup I love my SX Les Paul Copy and AmpTramp amp....I'll have to post and amp demo clip....maybe I'll use the SX for it. :D

-Peace
-Nate