PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

scgmhawk
January 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
This might be a case of "you get what you pay for" but I would like to know what you all would do!

I bought an Xaviere Strat last summer from GFS. I wanted a strat, cheaped out, and bought it online sight unseen. The overall quality of the guitar (pickups, construction) seems good, but there was always some fret buzz. This buzz prevented me from playing the guitar very much.

Well, I brought the guitar in for a "professional" set-up over the weekend by a guitar tech. He told me that the fret heights were uneven in numerous places and it would cost me about $200 for him to correct the problem. I couldn't justify spending $200 to fix a $200 guitar so I said no thanks. He said he would do the best he could but it wouldn't completely eliminate the buzz. He was right! The buzz is especially annoying on the 5th and 6th strings -- throughout the neck (6th string especially).

I'm wondering if I should spend the $200, buy a new neck from Guitar Fetish for $49 (I'd ask them to check it before shipping it to me), or ? I'm not sure what my other options are.

I really appreciate your opinions! Thanks.

P.S. I usually like a good buzz too! :beer:

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Learn your lesson... eBay it and spend your money on a decent Strat... If you must, cheap-out on strings, (because strings are temporary,) not guitars, amps, or pedals.

...and never throw good money after bad!

markb
January 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
A new neck from the same source isn't likely to be any better unless you get reallly lucky. I'd sell the guitar on and consider a Mexican strat.

kiteman
January 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I think the best thing to do is to forget guitar fetish.

Spudman
January 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I think the best thing to do is to CONTACT guitar fetish. fixed

I certainly wouldn't Ebay it. You'll create more trouble for yourself and that guitar will become a weight around your neck. Call Jay and tell him the issue, be polite and explain in detail your concern. He's a smart guy and will likely want to promote a good business deal rather than make an enemy.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM
You bought it new from GFS... right?
You're the original owner... right?
You DID get a new guitar warranty with it... right?
It's been less than a year... right?
It's a manufacturer's defect, right?
Have it repaired or replaced under warranty.

scgmhawk
January 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I agree that selling it will probably be more of a pain in the a#$ than I'm willing to deal with for the return (although I was considering it). I just checked the GFS site and it looks like it's a 60 day warranty. I will email Jay and see what he has to say. I'll report back for those who are interested.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
That's a 60-day exchange policy.
Guitar itself should have, at least, 1-year manufacturer's warranty.
Those are 2 different things... one deals with customer satisfaction, other deals with defective manufacture.

duhvoodooman
January 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Just curious--why didn't you return or at least contact GFS when you first noticed the problem? Jay is very good about such things, and I expect he would have made it right. Even now, I'd contact him and at least ask.

BTW, guys, I really don't think it's fair to start condemning the Xaviere guitar line on the basis of a single bad experience. I own two now, and am very happy with both. There have been other Fretters with similar good experiences. Perfect? No, but then you don't expect perfection for under $200. On the other hand, you have the right to expect a sound & playable instrument, and I'm quite sure GFS will work with you if you don't have one!

scgmhawk
January 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I should have contacted Jay right away, Vood. I figured a professional set-up would correct and I didn't get around to doing that until this past weekend! (procratinator!). I am not condemning the brand at all -- just was looking for some feedback from folks who have bought many more guitars than me. I sent Jay an email and I'll see what my options are. It's good to hear that you don't have this issue.

scgmhawk
January 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Here's the response from Jay at GFS. Very good (and quick) customer service!:bravo:

"Total warranty- Easiest thing would be to pull the neck and send it to us- we'll do a full fret job and return it and it'll play like BUTTAH"

Rocket
January 29th, 2009, 10:12 AM
There ya go... squeaky wheel gets the goo!

marnold
January 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Another big thumbs-up for Jay, then. GFS might sell their stuff dirt cheap but they don't skimp on customer service. Even with that reputation, I didn't expect that. That's awesome.

peachhead
January 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
That's great to hear, as I like several of their guitars; and that just makes it easier. Great service makes a huge difference.

scgmhawk
January 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Absolutely, Kudos to Jay and GFS. I had lost my order number when my computer crashed last summer and must have tossed my paperwork. I let him know this and here's Jay's response:

"Yeah don't worry about it- If you can detach the neck and get it to us I'll do a fret job on it or just outright replace it-

jay

Great customer service goes a long way.

Andy
January 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Mine was in rough shape when I got it , but after I spent some time filling frets ,adjusting the truss rod,and action ,it's not bad at all.
I figued it would need some set up when I bought it and this was a chance for me to take a shot at doing the work myself. If I messed it up, I planned to replace the neck.

I like to tinker so it was an enjoyable project for me.

It's good to hear he is more than willing to resolve it for you. :AOK:

F_BSurfer
January 31st, 2009, 09:45 AM
It is great Jay is taking care of this for you...Guitar Fetish rocks:rockon: ... not to pick at your tech but 200 for fret leveling is way out of line to begin with think going price for a Luthier is about 60-70 and w/setup 80-90

scgmhawk
March 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Just an update. Finally got the neck back a week ago. Looks like the nut was replaced -- honestly I can't tell if the frets were leveled or not. There is definite buzz still if I keep the action too low but with slightly higher action, a truss rod adjustment, loosened the trem claw some (not sure this helped or not!) and I have a basically buzz free, nice sounding guitar!

I will say that the customer service from GFS was first class -- albeit a little slow. Plus, this experience has helped me to learn some aspects of setting up a guitar that I didn't know before.