PDA

View Full Version : One High Fret-any quick fix.

ZMAN
January 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have a Les Paul type guitar and the action is very nice. It has one high fret on the 13th Fret on the G String. I don't want to raise the bridge because it will effect the height on other strings. Is there a quick fix I can do to lower that one fret.
I usually have all my set ups done by a tech but the set up is perfect now so I don't want to take it to him for one fret.
Thanks for any help.
I put a 6 inch metal ruler on the frets around it and it actually rocks back and forth on the 13th. On the ones above the ruler sits flat and the frets below the ruler sits nice and flat.
Thanks for any help.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
First try reseating it by tapping with a mallet?

Spudman
January 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
First try reseating it by tapping with a mallet?

+1

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Wood & metal get squirrelly in dry winter weather and sometimes fretwire will pop or protrude sharp edges when fretboard shrinks up. If that's the problem, best get your gear humidified.

ZMAN
January 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Is it just me or does hitting my neck with a hammer not seem to be a good idea. I know what you guys are saying but I thought maybe filing or sanding the fret down may be an idea. Never having done any of this I will trust it to my tech.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Not hammer... wood or leather mallet.
Don't tap the neck... tap the high fret.

The problem with sanding or filing is that if it's high because the seasonal dryness allowed it to pop, when rehumidified it will be a low fret... then what? Hard to put that metal back on. Then you'll need to replace & dress a new fret.

ZMAN
January 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh!! I thought you hit the back of the neck and maybe that would pop the rest of the frets out.
No I will take it to my guy. I don't have either style mallet and the cost of a set up is only 35 bucks plus strings. He takes care of any "other" issues at the same time.

Spudman
January 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
He takes care of any "other" issues at the same time.

Part of me wants to know and the other part says to just let it go. :D

ZMAN
January 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
This is a G rated forum Spud so the "other" meant. anything that needs fixing, on my guitar!!!!

bigoldron
January 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I had a dog one time that got "fixed". He never was the same... :rotflmao:

Rx Tone
February 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
I had a dog one time that got "fixed". He never was the same... :rotflmao:

:thwap:

:bravo:

gordy_sg_no1
October 14th, 2010, 12:00 AM
you can generaly get a small deadblow mallet on ebay for a couple of quid i got 3 at like £3 each there