PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Bluegrass State

mcgreggor57
January 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
New to guitar, but not to music. Spent elementary through college on the trumpet. Currently I'm renting a Washburn D10S and have taken a few lessons over the past 6 months. My biggest struggle right now is with strumming rhythms, but at least I'm making progress on chords :AOK:

ET335
January 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Welcome mcgreggor57!!
you came to the right place...Great people here.:beer:

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Welcome McG... why renting?

mcgreggor57
January 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Rocket... it just seemed to make more sense to see if I enjoyed playing before shelling out money for a purchase. Part of the rental fee would be applied to the sale if I decide to keep the Washie. In the meantime, I've got a few bills to pay off.

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Welcome! Have fun here, thanks for joining.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Rocket... it just seemed to make more sense to see if I enjoyed playing before shelling out money for a purchase.
I've never heard of someone renting a guitar before... didn't even know it was an option.

In the meantime, I've got a few bills to pay off.
Bills aren't going anywhere, buy a guitar... start the insanity!

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Welcome McGreggor! If you like it well enough to take lessons and join a forum, I would think you are ready for a guitar of your own. You could get one of many pretty darn cheap ones that would cost less than renting for any stretch of time I bet. Look for a Fullerton on ebay even. Search Fullerton on this forum to learn more.

See, aren't we great? We pressure you already.;)

Spudman
January 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi and welcome.:wave:

oldguy
January 29th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Welcome to TheFret! Glad you joined us here, mcgreggor57.
You've aroused my curiosity..........how much does a guitar rent for (by week,month, whatever), and how much of the rent applies to the final purchase price........... or do they do it like the rent-uh-center joints--where an $800 dollar sofa is $1500 bucks on the easy payment plan?

Brian Krashpad
January 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Welcome! As others have noted, you could probably buy a cheapie for less than what the rental will be.

We're helpers.

OK, OK, enablers.

mcgreggor57
January 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Helpers?....more like enablers! ;)

Rent on the D10S is $15 / month (no contract) and I can buy it for $199. Unlike the Rent-a-Center's, they don't inflate the prices....although they will only apply 10% of your total rental to the purchase price.

Another nice feature, is I can take this one back and bring a different one home to try. It gives me a chance to demo several brands/models. I'll pull the trigger one of these days.

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Ah, that makes sense. Demo plan is good. You can really find something you like.

Rocket
January 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Here's a suggestion: Test drive a bunch of manufacturers, sizes, & models until you find the best match for you, then go out and buy a brand new one from a retail store. That way you get the right one (for you) plus a lifetime warranty.

scgmhawk
January 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Welcome, McGreg, and Cheers! :beer:

mcgreggor57
January 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Here's a suggestion: Test drive a bunch of manufacturers, sizes, & models until you find the best match for you, then go out and buy a brand new one from a retail store. That way you get the right one (for you) plus a lifetime warranty.
Thanks! Kind of my plan. I've got my eye on a couple other makes/models to try in the near future.

mcgreggor57
January 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Welcome, McGreg, and Cheers! :beer::beer:

Tarin
January 31st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Wow, never guessed that renting a guitar could be beneficial, for 15 bucks a month you get to try several guitars!
That's a great way of finding YOUR guitar (without snobbing on brands).

I started searching for a low-budget-yet-good guitar to start off and ended up, guessing from what i read, with a Squier M80... great guitar to start off IMO.
Meanwhile i spent lots of gas (as in gasoline, not the syndrome) and time traveling to my nearest Guitar Center to try out my "upgrade" guitar.
Got my hands on a Parker and instantly felt it was for me.

Renting would've save me lots of time and money.

warren0728
February 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
welcome mcg....glad to have you here at the fret....keep us posted on guitars you try out and your thoughts on them.... :pancake:

mrmudcat
February 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Welcome:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
February 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
So Mcgreggor are you learning guitar in order to entice Peter Rabbit into your garden?!?