PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a bit more advanced jazz blues talk?

Robert
January 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm working on a jazz blues backing track, and I'll soon upload it for you guys to jam on. This may be a bit more advanced stuff than I've talked about here, so just wondering if anyone would be interested in this?

I have published very few jazz clips of me playing so far, but I hope to change that.

The clip will be just drums and bass, so we can play both rhythm guitar as well as solos on top. The form will be a typical minor blues. I'll post the chord progression once I have it ready.

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Sure I would love it!

EDIT: meaning I would enjoy watching and learning from the talk, not that I am in any way advanced. :)

thearabianmage
January 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Would I be interested in a jazz blues progression/discussion. . . um. . . Yeah! Bring it on, dude!

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2009, 02:21 AM
Absolutely!

aeolian
January 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'd certainly want to see if I can do anything with it. I have been interested in jazz for a while now, but I don't have a lot of basic knowledge and I have not been able to devote much time to it.

tjcurtin1
January 31st, 2009, 08:24 PM
Sure I would love it!

EDIT: meaning I would enjoy watching and learning from the talk, not that I am in any way advanced. :)
+1

ET335
February 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Sound's great to me Robert.....I'm in:beer:

thearabianmage
February 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Robert, I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd reply in this one. . .

Nice track! I was curious what modes you were using in this one? I can only seem to hear a few different ones (in the first take - the second take's link doesn't work), but this progression seems like it could be rife with different possibilities.

Cheers!

Robert
February 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Oops, I fixed the link, try again now.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/jazz_guitar_backing_tracks/

I used mostly Dorian and Melodic Minor for the minor chords. For the C7b9 chord, I like to use the Altered scale. For the Ab7, I use the Lydian Dominant (or Eb Melodic Minor). For the G7, I use Altered scale or Diminished, starting with a half step.

I try to not just play scales though, but I probably do too much. I'm not much of a jazz guitarist really, but I have an idea what can be done. Executing it is the hard part though...

Basically, it's about playing great lines, whether you use modes and scales as helping tools or not. I know some incredible jazz guys who never think in terms of scales and modes - they just play want they think fit. Now, that's probably the hardest thing to do well. Most of us need "helpers" such as scales, arpeggios, triads, etc.

thearabianmage
February 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Oops, I fixed the link, try again now.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/jazz_guitar_backing_tracks/

I used mostly Dorian and Melodic Minor for the minor chords. For the C7b9 chord, I like to use the Altered scale. For the Ab7, I use the Lydian Dominant (or Eb Melodic Minor). For the G7, I use Altered scale or Diminished, starting with a half step.

I try to not just play scales though, but I probably do too much. I'm not much of a jazz guitarist really, but I have an idea what can be done. Executing it is the hard part though...

Basically, it's about playing great lines, whether you use modes and scales as helping tools or not. I know some incredible jazz guys who never think in terms of scales and modes - they just play want they think fit. Now, that's probably the hardest thing to do well. Most of us need "helpers" such as scales, arpeggios, triads, etc.

Nice one! I'll have a little fiddle when a bit later on. I tend to try and 'play what I think fits', but for my course, I need to be able to jump from mode to mode on command and the only way to do that is to practice it.

Cheers!

Robert
February 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
So does anyone else have any ideas to add to the talk about playing over a minor jazz blues?

On the G7, I sometimes use the whole-tone scale as well.

You may notice that on the 4th bar, it sounds good to emphasize the major 3rd and also the b9 note; gives it that altered/dim sound.

thearabianmage
February 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
I hear a few different chord voicings. Would you mind going over them?

Robert
February 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Do you mean the rhythm guitar? I was just improvising the rhythm guitar, but I can try and clarify the chords if anyone is interested.

Blaze
February 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Nice Job Boss , as usual ...

thearabianmage
February 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Do you mean the rhythm guitar? I was just improvising the rhythm guitar, but I can try and clarify the chords if anyone is interested.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I'd also be interested to know which turnarounds, if any, you used.

Cheers!

Robert
February 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Well the chords are more or less:

Cm7 | Cm7 | Cm7 | C7
Fm7 | Fm7 | Cm7 | Cm7
Ab7 | G7 | Cm | G7

For the minor chords, I like using minor 9 chords, or minor 11 and similar voicings. Minor 9 with the 6 in there sounds nice too.

For the Dominant 7 chords, I use #5 but for the Gb7, I use b5 (or #11, same thing) for that lydian dominant sound.

Instead of the Gb7, you can also use Dm7b5.

Does that help?

thearabianmage
February 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Does that help?

I'll try it out, cheers!

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I had the wrong chord in there, sorry! The Gb7 was WRONG - it is of course Ab7.