PDA

View Full Version : Steelers or Cardinals Kick off Time

Blaze
January 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Tomorrow is chicken wings day or wathever junk food & beer you like ..

I m gonna go with the Steelers by 17 ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Superbowl_Trophy_Crop.jpg/180px-Superbowl_Trophy_Crop.jpg

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 06:46 PM
I will go with the Steelers, but not by 17. I read a couple of polls today and a few of them were split pretty evenly on winner selection. I think the way the Cards closed the season have people wondering, plus they always like to see a good story (Kurt Warner).

I probably won't watch much of it, maybe try to catch a few commercials.

GO CAVS!!!

markb
January 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
I prefer The Cardinals. I mean, just look at the size of that "Princeton" :)

Si14rmNJcvA

Oh, this appears to be about some sort of sporting contest.

marnold
January 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm hoping for the Cards since I also root for one of the lost causes of the NFL.

BluesHowler
January 31st, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'm rooting for the Cardinals! I'm also making this http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html to eat during halftime.

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm rooting for the Cardinals! I'm also making this http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html to eat during halftime.

My cardiologist recommends that dish to me all the time.

TS808
January 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Being a life long Pittsburgher...Steelers by 13.

markb
January 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM

Looks, erm, lovely:eek:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-11.jpg

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Last year I rooted for Petty, the year before that for Prince. This year, I'm rooting for the Boss. ;)

A few years back, some of us may have rooted for Janet Jackson.

Tone2TheBone
February 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Last year I rooted for Petty, the year before that for Prince. This year, I'm rooting for the Boss. ;)

A few years back, some of us may have rooted for Janet Jackson.

Is that who's playing at halftime? I'm anti Arizona and I've been to Philly once so I guess I'll go with whoever wins me my numbers on the pools!

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM
Yep, The Boss is playing. Bet we see a butterscotch tele tomorrow.

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
I would root for the Boss from the 70's, but the Boss of today? I'll root for the commercials.

warren0728
February 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
I would root for the Boss from the 70's, but the Boss of today. I'll root for the commercials.
i agree.....i really don't care who wins so i'll pull for the underdog....being in the advertising field i admit i watch more for the commercials than the game....

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm predicting the Steelers take it today. I'm also predicting that I actually watch my first game of the season today too.

F_BSurfer
February 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-11.jpg[/QUOTE]

I'll have to try this

I would like to see the Cards win but think Pitt will take with there defense

R_of_G
February 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Not rooting for either team because I don't really like either team.

Picking the Steelers because they have the best defense in the NFL and I think they can shut down the passing attack better than any team in football. Take away the pass and Arizona is done. Edgerrin James is not running anywhere against the Steelers defense.

How much do I think they'll win by? Not as much as 17 that's for sure. I'm thinking about a 20-10 game (and one of those two Steelers TD's would probably come from the defensive side of the ball).

As for halftime, I love Bruce but those stupid halftime shows always come across as super cheesy with all the people around the stage and all. I'm sure the band will be good, but not nearly as good as seeing them in a real concert not a halftime show. Looking forward to it much more than Petty though.

And the commercials. That I am not looking forward to at all. Super Bowl commercials used to be something to watch for when the games were blow-outs. The last few years the commercials have been horrible and sub-par. I expect no different tonight.

All I really want is for the game to be over and have the thousands of tourists out of my city and off the roads. The traffic here in Tampa has been ludicrous. Time for them to go home.

Oh and I especially can't wait for the big fighter jet fly-over 5.5 hours from now. I live on a direct line between the Air Force Base and the stadium so the fly-overs go right over my house. Not a pleasant experience but I do always know when the Bucs game is about to kick off.

Enjoy the game everyone. :)

Blaze
February 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Tomorrow is chicken wings day or wathever junk food & beer you like ..

I m gonna go with the Steelers by 17 ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Superbowl_Trophy_Crop.jpg/180px-Superbowl_Trophy_Crop.jpg
Here we go ..........

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Just saw the Bridgestone commercial featuring the Spudster.

R_of_G
February 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM
So far the commercials have shown me:

1) I will probably not be seeing many movies this year as the ones I've seen advertised all look incredibly stupid. Must everything be a remake or a movie version of some old tv show? Where did originality go?

2) Bob Dylan needs to own the rights to his own songs because I would prefer not to believe he sold his own song to Pepsi.

3) Conan O'Brien drinks crappy beer. He should have his credentials as an Irishman revoked for endorsing Bud Light. Bud Light is colored water, not beer.

As for the game... Arizona's defense can't stop anything. This will be a l-o-n-g game for them if they can't ratchet things up very soon since their offense looks pretty weak so far. This game could be over by halftime.

R_of_G
February 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM
And now that I have looked it up I have learned that Bob Dylan did agree to appear in that Pepsi commercial and have his song remixed by that hack Will.I.Am from Black Eyed Peas. I hate to say this about one of my heroes, but Dylan is a tool and a complete sell out. To sell a song like "Forever Young" that he wrote about his infant son to Pepsi to sell soda is the act of a man who never met a dollar he didn't like. More artists should be like Tom Waits and refuse to allow any of their songs to be used to sell products (other than their own records of course). Dylan saddened me tonight.

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Just saw the Bridgestone commercial featuring the Spudster.
I was saving it as a surprise.:D

Blaze
February 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Gee! What an interception and that 100yds run , ouf !

Let see the Boss now ..

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
I came out of the shower to see the 100 yard interception return.

R_of_G: It's all about the money.

R_of_G
February 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
R_of_G: It's all about the money.

Which is why I respect Tom Waits more than any other artist. His songs are not for sale, ever.

As for the Boss, that was plain terrible. Here's why:

This is the band I once proudly described as the tightest band in rock and roll and tonight they blew the syncopated parts of the first two songs.

For the intro to "Born to Run" one of the three guitars was out of tune and I am positive it wasn't Little Steven or Nils Lofgren so it had to be Bruce.

The sound is mixed terribly, I can barely hear Max and cannot hear the bass player at all.

Playing "Glory Days" is a a terrible choice. He should play only songs from Nebraska and earlier.

Bringing in a choir for backup is an overdone schtick.

Swinging the guitar is so very played.

One night, two idols humiliate themselves. After this game is over I am listening to a ton of Waits.

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
Well, the song selection was good (at least no political crap). I would like to have heard something from The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle (I still consider it the bands greatest), but obviously show length didn't lend itself to one of the songs from that album. I prefer skinny, pre-body building Bruce that didn't roam the stage like he had a broom stick up his...

Also, he should have been playing the Tele while performing Tenth Ave Freeze Out, he just doesn't fit the lead singer look without that guitar.

Obviously I am an early Bruce fan.

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh, and I never liked the idea of his wife joining the band - a sort of "Wings" thing.

Edit: Oh, and R_of_G, I was listening to "On the Nickel" when I was writing my comments (but I was drinking a Pepsi:D )

R_of_G
February 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
In fairness, Patty was in the band before she was his wife so she's not quite Linda McCartney, bur her role increased greatly after they hooked up.

I thought the song selection was mediocre. The first two were ok, but if they wanted to bring the house down they should have played "Rosalita". He had the foresight to bring in LaBamba Rosenberg and Marc Pender and company to be the horn section and then barely put them to use. It's a waste of exceptionally talented musicians.

Also, I agree Strum, The Wild, The Innocent, etc. is the band's finest album hands down.

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Roughing the quarterback???? Put a dress on those guys!!!

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
20 to 23 oh my!

Blaze
February 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
20 to 23 oh my!

Yeah ! Good Show , Congrats Pittsburg 6th Championship..

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
That was a pretty good game.

R_of_G
February 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
It was a better 4th quarter than the rest of the game. A lot of penalties and sloppy play for a Super Bowl. Still, it turned out to be suspenseful in the end so it was exciting to watch it play out.

Perhaps the result will finally calm down the talk of Hall of Fame for a QB with a career record of 48 -37? Yes, he played great in his playoff appearances over the years, but for a large swath of his career he would have had to have played better to be mediocre. In his good seasons he also had the benefit of having receivers like Issaac Bruce and Tory Holt or Fitzgerald and Boldin. Surround a guy with talent like that and he will like as not look good.

Warner was often very good, sometimes great, sometimes poor. That's not a Hall of Famer to me.

piebaldpython
February 2nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
What a great 4th quarter!! Just super.
However, Bruce stunk up the joint; and not because of the songs he picked. Too much pandering, sliding across the stage on his knees, he had "sellout" written all over his face. Where were the freakin' guitars in the mix? Little Steven played a little solo and you couldn't hear one note of the solo. Really, really lame.
OK, it's the SB and you don't expect great sound but you ought to be able to hear the guitar. I had no trouble hearing PRINCE the other year.
Go home to NJ and retire because he moves about the stage like.........he's old enough to be Jagger's dad. :D

R_of_G
February 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Python. I am glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Bruce was terrible (well, my wife agrees too).

I can forgive him for the crappy sound (though whoever the engineer was should never get to work in live music again) but I can't forgive him for how sloppy the band was. He's the leader and for a band as tight as that one used to be to sound so off on their timing is a travesty.

As for the overdone movement about the stage on his part, it blew my mind. It's Bruce Springsteen. The man has more stage presence than just about anyone without having to resort to such cliched pandering. It made him look like a complete tool.

marnold
February 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
In his good seasons he also had the benefit of having receivers like Issaac Bruce and Tory Holt or Fitzgerald and Boldin. Surround a guy with talent like that and he will like as not look good.
Is there a Hall of Fame quarterback in the modern era that didn't also have great receivers?

R_of_G
February 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Is there a Hall of Fame quarterback in the modern era that didn't also have great receivers?

Warren Moon?

All I'm saying is when Warner went to teams that didn't quite have superstar receivers he couldn't even land a starting job. He didn't "win" the job in Arizona more than Leinart lost it by not living up to his potential. The job was Leinart's to lose from day one. Not exactly the mark of a Hall of Famer on Warner's part. Warner has a slightly above mediocre win/loss record and has won exactly one championship. That's not the kind of dominance in one's era I associate with worthiness of enshrinement in Canton.