PDA

View Full Version : Boss ME-50 review - I think I've cracked it (long)

markb
January 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
So I recently sold all my pedals (not saying much) to buy an ME-50 and a footswitch for the extra functions. Here's the way I use it and some observations on its sounds and function.
I very nearly gave up on this due to the silences when changing memory locations and the usual volume inconsistency between patches that takes so much tweaking time on a multi effect but now we've come to an understanding. I use the thing in manual mode set up as follows (with notes):

Tone Modify - Fat (see OD section). I don't really have any use for the other settings. The acoustic simulator is particularly hopeless with either of my guitars. I get closer to an acoustic tone in position 2 on my tele' through my clean channel.

Compressor - a little boosted over straight through and a bit of squish. Nice as a clean boost and for pushing the OD. Not a bad sounding compressor which is a relief as it lacks any fine control over the effect.

OD - I've several favourites here. For standalone use I like the Natural OD, very amp like and transparent. For OD pedal duties I'll use either the TS or OD-1 models with a slight preference for the OD-1. The Guv'nor model is great for Marshall-in-a-box tones and the RAT is, well, a RAT. The Distortion+ model gets you that US 70's tone. Crunch gets a bit of VOXiness going on.
I'm not that sold on the other models. The BD-2 and DS-1 are ok but I'm not convinced by the Fuzz Face and I've no use for a Big Muff or any of the other higher gain models. The bottom control (active bass cut/boost) is a masterstroke which extends the tonal range of any of the models beyond the usual treble cut tone control (hmm, a Tube Screamer with a bass boost, where have we heard that one before).
For use with my amp I'll set up a medium gain tone on the OD-1 model and use the Tone Modify and Compressor together for a fat boost. This gets me very close to what I had going with the FD2 I used before. I use my amp's OD for Marshall tones and can still push it with the OD-1 for higher gain. Lots of textures here without even saving patches. My backup/travel light rig is the amp and an SD-1.

Modulation - The chorus and tremolo are both fine. As luck would have it I get the sounds I want with the knobs in more or less the same position so switching from chorus to trem is just a matter of leaning down and twiddling the selector. The vibrato is a great model of the Boss CE-1/Roland JC120 vibrato, excellent for Shoot Out The Lights era Richard Thompson sounds with a bit of compression. I'm not a big user of phasing or flanging but they work. The rotary is ok but no match for the excellent rotary effect in a VOX Valvetronix amp (or a Leslie, but I'm not crazy enough to carry one around). The Harmoniser's quite fun, Big Country (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wk25TuaCwk&feature=related) anybody? I find the Univibe very muddy but then I'm not a big Univibe user.

Delays - How did I live without tap tempo? I use the analogue setting for listening pleasure at home and the digital delay in a band setting. The digi delay just gives more presence and cut to the repeats and prevents that "where'd my tone go?" problem in a mix. Even cooler the tap tempo in digi delay mode is not bound by the range selector knob.

Reverb - Ah, now the bad stuff. This is not switchable. The spring model is horrible with no effective high end damping. The room model is OK and usable in a pinch. My amp has a great sounding Accutronics spring reverb. I use that.

The volume pedal and tuner work well enough though not as well as, say, the Ernie Ball VP and a Korg DT10 I was using before but they get the job done. I like the fact that the wah is switched on just like a Crybaby (toe down and switch). I don't use a lot of wah but it's there ready to go without hauling an extra pedal.

On the whole I'm very pleased with this. One cable in and one out, a power connection, the insert cable to the footswitch and a Boss footswitch for amp channel and I'm up and running. Plus it'll run on batteries to avoid power connections in the spilt beer zone, an 8 pack of AA's in the lead bag and I'm covered. I was mightily impressed with the build the switches, pedals and knobs are positive and the casing is rock solid sheet steel. The jacks are properly bolted to the case even if they're probably board mounted. The battery cover is the only flimsy item in the whole package. It fits nicely into a little padded zip-on lead bag I got with a Rockbag gigbag with all leads and switches.

For home and recording use the memories are handy for saving tones where the silences and the volume inconsistencies can be lived with in a no pressure situation.

Now the bad bit. The Behringer AB200 I bought as a footswitch is a serious POS. It's plastic and the casing obscures the jacks meaning you can't use right angleed jack if you wanted to use it as an A/B box. The switches themselves are decidedly moody. The only good part it that it's a (cheap) copy of the Boss switches so clips into a single unit with my Boss FS-5L channel switcher. I suspect that the Behringer casing will crack and fail connected to the aluminium casing of the Boss though. Saving NZ$20 on the Boss FS-6 was a mistake. I'll replace this as soon as funds allow hopefully before it breaks so I can get some money back on it.

The ME-50 has now been superseded by the ME-70 so there should be some good deals available. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a lot of effects variation in a simple to operate unit bearing in mind my caveats above about the memories. As a "row of stompboxes" without the spaghetti it's hard to beat.

Spudman
January 31st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Pretty brave of you getting rid of all your other pedals. I'm not that brave.

I hear you about the convenience of connections. Getting rid of all the weak connections and cables is a good thing. I know I've been pretty happy moving to all-in-one unit too.
It sounds like the ME50 could be a good unit. I imagine the prices are pretty good on them? Do the modules actually sound like the Boss pedals they are supposed to emulate? That would be a good thing if Boss did that. Did you have any Boss pedals that this unit replaced?

markb
January 31st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Pretty brave of you getting rid of all your other pedals. I'm not that brave.

I hear you about the convenience of connections. Getting rid of all the weak connections and cables is a good thing. I know I've been pretty happy moving to all-in-one unit too.
It sounds like the ME50 could be a good unit. I imagine the prices are pretty good on them? Do the modules actually sound like the Boss pedals they are supposed to emulate? That would be a good thing if Boss did that. Did you have any Boss pedals that this unit replaced?

I've had or used the following Boss products, some of them more than once as indicated:

Overdrives etc: CS3, OD1, OD2R, OD3 (2x), OS2, BD2, SD1, MZ2 (don't ask)

Modulations: CE2 (x3), CE3, TR2

Delays: DM3, DD3 (x3)

Others: LS2, PSM5, TU12H, ME30 multi

The only references I've got are for the ODs I mentioned in the review. They all pretty much do what it says on the label except they don't quite respond quite like the individual pedals. I could go into (enormous) detail here, but won't. You have to hear them to get the slight differences. You can get those signature tones but don't assume you can just put the knobs where you would on the pedal for the same sound.

It is what it is, an effects box designed for use into an amp, NOT a POD competitor. The GT series are closer to that (and the ME-70 sits in the middle ground). The chorus is much like a CE series (more CE3 than CE2) and the trem doesn't have the wave knob you get on a TR2 (but sounds better IMO). The delays are digital delays rather like a Boss DD3 but with tap tempo and 2 seconds total.

I like the fact that I can feed the front end of my ersatz Fender (or Marshall) amp with something labeled Tube Screamer and get what I expected, which has not been my experience with multi effects in the past.

just strum
February 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
I've always heard good things about the ME50 and it sounds like you are in agreement. The ME70 is being offered as "preorder" at all the web stores and at the moment it is only $4 more ($299).

You are probably right that the ME50 price will drop (or the ME70 will increase). Outside of four foot swithes (me70) versus three (ME50), I haven't looked to see what the differences are.

I am selling my RP350 and some other things in order to purchase the ME50 and a Blackheart, so your review was very timely. Now, if I can get a timely buyer I will be all set.

Good review.

wingsdad
February 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
I traded most of my old pedals straight up for my ME-50 4 years ago and don't miss the pedals one bit. I love that extra tone control on the OD/Dist section...Like you, I don't use a wah much, so the ME-50's is quite adequate for my needs (you can adjust the travel sensitivity on the expression pedal).

I leave the Tone Modify off. I think the Noise Suppressor's pretty decent, and transparent. And the Reverbs? Well....I'll verify there's no need to override the T60's great 6-spring Accutronics tank.

To me, the Stereo Outs of the ME-50 are what makes it. I can send it stereo to my recording setup, 2 different amps, or in mono to 2 different signal chains.

... The Behringer AB200 I bought as a footswitch is a serious POS. ...
I picked up one of those to try to use with my ME-50. No comment on the quality, it works OK enuff, but it's a hassle, overly complicated. Like you, I was too cheap to buy 2 Boss FS5U's and when I got my ME-50, the FS6 wasn't available yet. But...I had a Digitech FS300 3-button switch on-hand that I got to go with a Vocalist Performer about 12 years ago, and it works perfectly for switching between the 3 Banks...while the A button switches Banks Up in Memory Mode or in Manual, turns the Tone Mod on/off; the B switches Memory Banks Down, and in Manual turns the Compressor on/off; the 3rd 'C' button on the FS300 adds a magic extra function in Manual mode: it switches BOTH the Tone Mod & Compressor on/off if they're both engaged...if only one or the other is engaged, it switches between the 2 with one click. Neat.

I got the AB200 so I could dedicate the FS300 back to the VP.[note: the AB200 is still useful to have 2 guitars hooked up to switch between without recabling] Scratched that and went back to FS300. Excellent, versatile switch that can replace the Boss FS6 or 2 FS5U's, and comes with a decent TRS-TRS cable for $40 US:
Digitech FS300 at Sweetwater (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS300)

...The ME-50 has now been superseded by the ME-70 so there should be some good deals available.
True, that. My Local GAS Station has (or maybe had) a new ME50 on clearance at $249 (street price has been fairly universal and steady at $299 since it came out.

...Outside of four foot swithes (me70) versus three (ME50), I haven't looked to see what the differences are.
I checked out the ME70 online and while it does some things the ME50 doesn't, thus the 4 switches, one glaring change that I don't like is that they reduced the OD/Dist section from 22 options to about half that. IMHO, that's a downgrade.

markb
February 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
I checked out the ME70 online and while it does some things the ME50 doesn't, thus the 4 switches, one glaring change that I don't like is that they reduced the OD/Dist section from 22 options to about half that. IMHO, that's a downgrade.

It's a swings and roundabouts deal. They've reduced the OD/dist options to 10 but added some of the amp models from the GT10. The amp modeler can be switched off whence it becomes a proper 5 band (I think) EQ. This gives it more flexibility than the ME-50 for recording or direct to the PA gigs but loses the ME-50's "just the FX, ma'am" style which I prefer to "all bells and whistles". I've discovered that the two button footswitches that come with the Behringer V-amp (and some of their amps) work with the ME-50. They're a better build quality than the AB200.

wingsdad
February 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM
It's a swings and roundabouts deal. ...
:rotflmao:

...They've reduced the OD/dist options to 10 but added some of the amp models from the GT10. The amp modeler can be switched off whence it becomes a proper 5 band (I think) EQ. This gives it more flexibility than the ME-50 for recording or direct to the PA gigs but loses the ME-50's "just the FX, ma'am" style which I prefer to "all bells and whistles"....
I've tried and had enuff amp modelers over the years to come to the conclusion that I don't care for any of them, although I guess my Roland Micro-Cube qualifies as one. Amp modelers are cool, just not for me. I'd rather keep things simple & have one go-to 2-channel amp (i.e., the Tech21 T60) that combined with the appropriate FX (besides the ME50, I've got a few other basic tricks in the bag...an old MXR 10-Band EQ maybe the most useful) can cover all the bases I need covered.

I've discovered that the two button footswitches that come with the Behringer V-amp (and some of their amps) work with the ME-50. They're a better build quality than the AB200.
Now, that's good to know :AOK: As long as you either keep the amp, or sell it without the switch to someone who just fell off a turnip truck...;) There's plenty of options besides the Boss switches...like almost any other mfr, they make it sound in the manuals like you MUST use their accessories, or you'll explode the amp...

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I've discussed the ME50 on and off with Wings probably going back at least 1.5 years ago. I'm going to order one tomorrow after I talk to my sales tech at Sweetwater to see what kind of deal I can get.

wingsdad
February 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Good luck with that quest, strummy :AOK: You can download the manual in pdf format at the Boss website (if you look hard enuff :messedup: )...if you can't find it, I can send it to you.

Why? There's a 2-page Patch Sheet you could photocopy, or if you have the pdf, print at will, that you can jot your personally-created preset patch settings on. Truly handy, since they're only ID'd by numbers, not by name, on the ME-50.

The manual wasn't downloadable when I got mine, so I re-created the Patch Sheet in XL as a one page thing. I've attached it here:

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Could one of you ME50 owners tell me what the input/output rating is on the adapter you are using?

markb
February 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I've got a 500ma 9v generic adapter. Works fine at 1/3 the price of a Boss PSA.

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I've got a 500ma 9v generic adapter. Works fine at 1/3 the price of a Boss PSA.

You are on a different power grid or supply than the US (I believe), I'm not sure if we are comparing apples and apples.

My Digitech gear uses

Input: 120V~60V 18W

Output: 9V~1.3A

I have a drawer with a number of adapters, but they are all different output/input. I don't want to risk screwing up the ME50, so I might go with

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-PSA-120S-AC-Adaptor/dp/B0012BPMHW/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

markb
February 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
The key things are centre negative power connector, 9v regulated. That's all you need worry about. The Boss PSA is only rated at 200ma. That Digitech PSU is quite powerful. The ME50 pulls a maximum of 120ma according to the spec sheet.

tunghaichuan
February 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yikes. Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? The PSA-120S is only about $20 + tax from them. They are $19 at the new Best Buy music store.

tung

You are on a different power grid or supply than the US (I believe), I'm not sure if we are comparing apples and apples.

My Digitech gear uses

Input: 120V~60V 18W

Output: 9V~1.3A

I have a drawer with a number of adapters, but they are all different output/input. I don't want to risk screwing up the ME50, so I might go with

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-PSA-120S-AC-Adaptor/dp/B0012BPMHW/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yikes. Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? The PSA-120S is only about $20 + tax from them. They are $19 at the new Best Buy music store.

tung

When I posted that earlier today, it was $19.65, but like $6.35 for shipping.

Now it's $26 and free shipping.

Now let's see $19.65 for the adapter + $6.35 for shipping = $26

Wow, I'm going with the free shipping and save, ah...

You can scroll down and see that it was $19.65

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002D0KTG/interactiveda8770-20

just strum
February 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM

tung

Did even better, got a new one for free.

tunghaichuan
February 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Did even better, got a new one for free.

:master:

That's the best kind, other than someone paying you to take one. :D

tung

just strum
February 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
ME50 folks, I am going to find some time to spend with the ME50 this weekend and was wondering if you've hit on any favorite settings? I want to explore some blues with the ME50 and will be looking for some good settings.

markb
February 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
The TS model's pretty good for blues but give the Natural OD a go. A very transparent OD tone that responds to the guitar well. Great for that JJ Cale-ish "larger than life strat" tone (with a strat ;) ). Also, try the vibrato for some Bo Diddley Magnatone type stuff. As I said above I'm not that fond of the rotary or the Univibe but ymmv as ever. The joy of this box is that once you've dialed in something you like with the knobs you can write it with three or four button pushes. I like intuitive UIs :)

just strum
February 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
The joy of this box is that once you've dialed in something you like with the knobs you can write it with three or four button pushes. I like intuitive UIs :)

How about reverse for a little Beatles

markb
February 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
How about reverse for a little Beatles

I never use the B-word ;)

wingsdad
February 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM
ME50 folks, I am going to find some time to spend with the ME50 this weekend and was wondering if you've hit on any favorite settings? I want to explore some blues with the ME50 and will be looking for some good settings.

I use my ME50 by itself a lot, as a headphone amp. Without going thru the hassle of plugging & turning on other stuff, I can try out different patches/settings without adding a particular amp's characteristics, then try what I've got thru my mixer/studio monitors or thru my Tech21 another time.

I guess that's partly why my XL version/pdf of the Patch Sheet that I attached to an earlier reply here has an added column for 'Primary Guitar'; I set up and store 2-3 patches for each of my electrics and electric/acoustics, and a couple for my Yamaha PSR-520 Keyboard.

I can start by calling up a patch, then tweak/goose things with that patch; as long as I don't 'write/store' the changes, the patch isn't altered in memory...but if I somehow like the modifications, I'll see if I can store it as another patch. And while I 'design' a patch for a specific guitar, I'll often try it with another guitar and find it's a cool setting.

Here's one of my go-to 'headphone amp mode' settings for my Sheraton II that you can try with your Dot:

DOT: bridge pickup, vol & tone dimed.
ME-50 - Going L/R starting upper left:
TONE MODIFY: Fat
COMPRESSOR: Sustain @ 10 o'clock, Level @ 12 o'clock
NOISE SUPPRESSOR: 9 o'clock
REVERB: Hall, just above minimum
MASTER LEVEL: 1:30 o'clock.
PEDAL: Volume mode
O/D-DISTORTION: BD-2 - Drive @ 10 o'clock; Bottom & Tone @ 12 o'clock; Level @ 1 o'clock
MOD: Stereo Chorus 1: Rate @ 11 o'clock, Depth & Level at 12 o'clock
DELAY: Analog/400-2000ms, Time @ 12 o'clock, Feedback & Level @ 10 o'clock

True, my Sherri has Gibson Classic 57's instead of the stock Epi humbuckers, but...with the ME-50 set as above, I like the 'Golden Earring/Radar Love' sound I can get.

Maybe try your PlankSpanker HSS Strat?

Set it up this way to start, then experiment with the guitar's pickup positions, vol & tone controls, and the ME-50's 'Tone Modify'; or put the Expressio Pedal in Wah mode to use it as a treble boost/cut.

just strum
February 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Well, after owning it for a couple of weeks I can honestly say I am happy with the purchase. I'm still exploring, but I have found some settings that I am really happy with. It is also a lot of fun to experiment with the settings as one does a search for the ones you want to lock in on.

I see Amazon raised the price from $248 to $258. After I received mine, I contacted them to complain that they did not supply the adapter (another $19.65) and they told me to order one from a local store or on-line store and they would reimburse me. I ended up buying one through one of the stores that sells through Amazon and was reimbursed within 1 to 2 days.

In searching for info on the ME50 before and after my purchase, I came across a number of people in forums that did away with most of their pedals and went with the ME50 and seem happy. I can't say I got rid of any pedals, but I can say that I am happy with the purchase.

I still have the RP350 and PM me if anyone is interested.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10321

A couple of my daughters friends are interested, but they are not showing me any green.

markb
March 1st, 2009, 01:40 AM
Glad it's working out, Mark. I think it's the ideal processor for people like me with fairly minimal effects needs. I've had a number of multis before but the manual operation with instant tweaking make this one actually practical to use on stage without hours of programming before the show (and loads of tweaking during, which is a complete PITA).

wingsdad
March 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Glad it's working out, Mark. I think it's the ideal processor for people like me with fairly minimal effects needs. ...

Ditto :AOK: And perhaps a limited budget. ;)

What would 11 Overdrive/Distortion pedals alone cost you before you knew which one(s) you really cared for? More than $250...

I'm particularly glad you're happy with it since you know I'd 'promoted it' :poke: to you personally for so long. :)

Eric
October 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
To me, the Stereo Outs of the ME-50 are what makes it. I can send it stereo to my recording setup, 2 different amps, or in mono to 2 different signal chains.

I know I've bothered you about this at length in another post, but if I may have one more question...

How do you have it output in mono to 2 different signal chains? This is likely in the future for me, so I would really like to know. Thanks!

wingsdad
October 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
How do you have it output in mono to 2 different signal chains? This is likely in the future for me, so I would really like to know. Thanks!
The L/R 1/4" outs on the back panel can be sent to different signal chain inputs using regular guitar cables, and that's OK for the dist/od and most things, BUT any of the stereo chorus or delay fx won't be equally split.

So to send a true summed mono signal (summed = the L/R sides of the stereo signals get blended together as one), stick one of these in the L output, and then stick a guitar cable into each of the female jacks.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP111/

This isn't a stereo splitter, a/k/a 'insert' cable; the 'TS' means 'Tip-Sleeve', which is a mono plug or jack using just 2 conductors (pos & neg). For stereo (or a 'balanced') signal, you want TRS, which means 'Tip-Ring-Sleeve', 3 conductors - a pos for each L/R and a common neg.

This 'insert' cable takes a stereo out (like the ME-50's headphones out) and splits it into a true stereo L & R to go 2 inputs...a common use of the ME-50 into a mixing board, or into 2 amps to play true stereo.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STP202/

That's fine for desktop use, but a little short to go to 2 amps, so this y-cable version of the 1st one I linked to allows you to use guitar cables (TS) to reach longer distances:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP117/

Eric
October 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM
The L/R 1/4" outs on the back panel can be sent to different signal chain inputs using regular guitar cables, and that's OK for the dist/od and most things, BUT any of the stereo chorus or delay fx won't be equally split

Perfect. That's exactly what I needed, and as I had suspected. Thanks!

Eric
July 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM
If I can revive a dead thread again, whatever happened to your ME-50, Mark? My impression is that you've shifted gears by this point, but I must have missed the reasoning behind it.

I was just thinking the other day that I should get mine back from the guy I've loaned it to.

markb
July 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
It was great as a pedalboard, Eric but the delay in switching patches was just too long. The overdrives began to grate after a while too. Just a matter of taste really. I liked nearly all of the effects but the biggest omission, imo was a proper eq section to bring the drives out. Even a simple 3 band job would have done.

What's in my sig now is the distillation of what I used on the ME50, more or less. A light tweedy drive (TS7), a heavier Marshally drive (DS1), both on for fat solos, delay with tap tempo (DD-20). I get chorus from the DD-20's modulation mode and I use the Cube 60's tremolo and reverb to fill in those gaps. It's still a pretty small board.

Eric
July 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
It was great as a pedalboard, Eric but the delay in switching patches was just too long. The overdrives began to grate after a while too. Just a matter of taste really. I liked nearly all of the effects but the biggest omission, imo was a proper eq section to bring the drives out. Even a simple 3 band job would have done.

What's in my sig now is the distillation of what I used on the ME50, more or less. A light tweedy drive (TS7), a heavier Marshally drive (DS1), both on for fat solos, delay with tap tempo (DD-20). I get chorus from the DD-20's modulation mode and I use the Cube 60's tremolo and reverb to fill in those gaps. It's still a pretty small board.
Hmm, pretty interesting. Thanks for the update. I've learned to live without delay, chorus, and a volume pedal since loaning out mine, so I wonder if/when I'll use it if/when I get it back. The TM60 drives are serving me pretty well so far.

lowlight
March 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Ya new guy here bought my ME-50 in 2005 for 40 bucks and love it. Yet i still have the other pedals.Im looking for settings for A Perfect Circle. If any one can help that would be great.
Thanks

jtees4
March 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I had one a few years ago and just hated it. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to really probe everything, but I had an ME30 that I loved and just figured it was time to upgrade and assumed I'd like it because I loved the ME30. My favorite multi fx pedal really was the Korg AX1500G. I don't use multi fx anymore.