PDA

View Full Version : New Speaker for My AD30VT

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I finally got around to ordering the Eminence Ragin' Cajun tonight for my amp. I figure I will give this speaker a try and see how it performs. If I like it, I will buy another one (possibly two more) for the cabs to be used with my Valve Jr and hopefully soon to be owned Blackheart Little Giant head.

I've been putting this off for some time, but I ordered it from SameDay (free shipping) and having it delivered to where my wife works.

I've read a lot of different reviews and this 10" speaker seems to get the best reviews and for $65 it is worth a try.

I should have it Wednesday or Thursday (I'm not sure where SameDay is located).

piebaldpython
January 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hey Strum..........if the guys on the Fender SCXD Forum are any indication; you should LOVE your Ragin Cajun. They gush on and on that the RC is a splendid speaker. Keep us posted.

mrmudcat
January 31st, 2009, 09:12 PM
Yea ive heard good things about those..even though im a celestion mostly man!

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Yea ive heard good things about those..even though im a celstion mostly man!

That was my initial choice and a good one, but after reading all positive things about the Ragin Cajun, I figure it is worth a try. If it doesn't work out in the AD30VT, I can always use it with the speaker cab and Vjr. If I end up doing that, than I'll get a Celestion G10 for the AD30VT.

Speaking of the AD30VT, I didn't know they were discontinued. Got to get out of that damn cave once in awhile.

marnold
February 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I'm really interested in finding out what you think. I think it was a Ragin' Cajun that I had been looking at too--there were a couple of Eminence options.

just strum
February 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
The speaker is being delivered tomorrow to where my wife works. If I have time I will install it tomorrow night (have a feeling I will make time).

I am really interested in hearing if there is a difference. If not, there are a lot of people out in Ampland that are full of....

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I just installed the rajun cajun about 30 minutes ago and I am just testing it out. Since I have no technical background, I can only tell you that

1) It performs the blues much better than the stock speaker. There is a clearer tone and an obvious warmth that is missing with the stock speaker.

2) The speaker seems to react better to changes in the amp settings and the settings of the guitar. You get a clearer distinction between different settings.

3) I had Marnold send me some pointy guitar settings. Since I am not accustom to them on a daily basis, the comparison between speakers was difficult, but I have to say that through the RC speaker the setting weren't bad. To someone that uses the settings often, they might think RC is a major improvement. I thought the old speaker made the settings seem too muddy and even for pointy guitar settings, muddy is not good. Again the clear distinction in the settings seemed to help the tone being produced by the RC speakers.

I played all of the above with the Fender Strat, placing the switch in all five different positions (remember this is an HSS) and the speaker performed well in all settings just a little adjustment of the guitar settings.

I played the blues settings with both the Strat and the Dot. Plugging into the humbuckers - all I can say is ohh, la la. It was great and the difference in warmth was very apparent. The old speaker tended to make the bass over bearing at times, but not with the RC.

Maybe it's just me, but the guitar is much closer to the tone you get from a tube amp once the RC is installed. Is it better than a Celestion G10 Vintage? Don't know, but I think it is safe to say that you wouldn't go wrong with either. So, if you have one of the ADxxVT amps and it has a stock speaker, this is a great mod/upgrade at a inexpensive cost and ranks very high on the "bang for the buck" meter (something that always is important to me).

ted s
February 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
1) It performs the blues much better than the stock speaker.

An amp can't be hav'n the blues 'less it's made out of planks from a shotgun shack or it's fix'n to die.

tjcurtin1
February 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
So what was the cost of this upgrade, Strum? I pay attention when you say you can hear the difference and think it's worth the price of admission...

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 07:39 PM
So what was the cost of this upgrade, Strum? I pay attention when you say you can hear the difference and think it's worth the price of admission...

$65 free shipping.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EMICAJ

The speaker seems to weight about three times the weight of the old speaker, but it probably really isn't actually that much.

I will be buying at least one more for installing in the speaker cabinets I have.

marnold
February 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hmm. Seems like it would be a worthy upgrade. Hmm. And my birthday is coming up. Hmm.

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hmm. And my birthday is coming up. Hmm.
Hoepfully that is directed towards your wife, because I doubt you'll get much from the fret crew. Despite the respect you have here, no one is giving up cash. Maybe a "Happy Birthday and hope you are enjoying your day" and we will toss in "hope your wife got you that speaker"

marnold
February 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hoepfully that is directed towards your wife, because I doubt you'll get much from the fret crew. Despite the respect you have here, no one is giving up cash. Maybe a "Happy Birthday and hope you are enjoying your day" and we will toss in "hope your wife got you that speaker"
Pity. Although since my wife is a stay-at-home mom, if she got me the speaker, I'd still be getting me the speaker.

tjcurtin1
February 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yes, but with her permission!:poke: ;)

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Pity. Although since my wife is a stay-at-home mom, if she got me the speaker, I'd still be getting me the speaker.

According to this, you are getting off pretty cheap.

http://www.salary.com/aboutus/layoutscripts/abtl_default.asp?tab=abt&cat=cat012&ser=ser041&part=Par499

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I made an interesting observation today. I have the Vox and the DVM Valve jr sitting side-by-side and I will switch back and forth if I am playing for a long period of time. After working on the Washburn I was playing the Vox for about 30 minutes and decided to switch over to the Valve jr. I always thought there was a distinct difference between the two and the warmth of the tube amp was one of the primary reasons.

Well, I played the Vjr for awhile and then switched back, it was at that point that I realized how similar they are in sound. The Vox sounded just as warm and seemed to achieve similar results.

The more I use the Vox with the new speaker, the more I appreciate the purchase of the speaker and the resistance to sell the Vox. I will definitely be purchasing another Rajun Cajun to use with the Vjr.

marnold
February 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
The more I use the Vox with the new speaker, the more I appreciate the purchase of the speaker and the resistance to sell the Vox. I will definitely be purchasing another Rajun Cajun to use with the Vjr.
I don't know whether to thank you for posting this or tell you to shut up. I want to thank you because it sounds like the speaker will give what I've been looking for. I want to tell you to shut up because the speaker's not in my grubby little paws yet and I'm getting "UPS Truck Angst." :D

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I don't know whether to thank you for posting this or tell you to shut up. I want to thank you because it sounds like the speaker will give what I've been looking for. I want to tell you to shut up because the speaker's not in my grubby little paws yet and I'm getting "UPS Truck Angst." :D

Well, if I said that after a couple of days of owning it I am not as thrilled with the results, but then you would be disappointed in the fact that you bought it.

So, I will tell you that I am really pleased, you won't be disappointed, and after my ME50 gets delivered tomorrow, UPS is going out on strike.

There, now you can tell me to shut-up.

Oh, and you owe your wife $86K:D

marnold
February 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Oh, and you owe your wife $86K:D
Will you take a check?

Duff
February 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Strum,

I immediately put the RC in my Fender SCXD when I got the amp, within days. It was 64 dollars from MF.

The sound difference was highly noticeable and better. The stock Fender speaker has a tiny magnet. The RC magnet weighs probably twenty times as much.

Also, did you notice that the Ragin' Cajun produces a lot more volume at the same vol setting as the old stock speaker?

I noticed a big increase in volume because the Eminence Ragin' Cajun is 100+ sensitivity and the stock fender speaker was about 95 dB. Five dB is a big difference in volume. The SCXD is way louder and sounds super good.

An increase of only two dB will give you a lot of increase in volume, but the more increase in sensitivity you will see a greater volume increase. Just a few dB makes a big difference in volume. The RC has great tone as well.

I might buy another one and put it in my Crate Palamino V8 or my Behringer GM110 which is a great sounding analog modelling thirty watt combo. I'm sure it would make that amp sound phenomenal The Crate would probably be a lot louder too and with better tone, but the Palamino is great sounding already but I'm sure it would be even better sounding.

Let us know if you noticed any volume increase with the Vox and the RC.

Thanks,

Duffy

Peace

sense2k
May 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I got a RG for my ad30 and i used pliers to unscrew/screw the nuts
do you know what size wrench fits them - they are small but nothing i had fit
which is why i used pliers
do you know th epower rating of the stock 10"?

just strum
May 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I got a RG for my ad30 and i used pliers to unscrew/screw the nuts
do you know what size wrench fits them - they are small but nothing i had fit
which is why i used pliers
do you know th epower rating of the stock 10"?

What nuts are you referring to and what is an RG?