PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Question (Marnold)

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 09:01 PM
I like the occasional dark beer and was kicking the idea around of brewing my own if it can be done inexpensively. That said, I was wondering if there are any good starter kits that would minimize upfront costs?

If I can capture the Waco market, I might just go into it full time.

BluesHowler
January 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Home brewed beer can be great and less inexpensive than most commercially brewed beer. That said, it takes a huge equipment and time investment at first.

The cheap brewing kits will disappoint you and discourage you from brewing again so I never recommend using them.

Check out this http://www.beerathome.com/. I worked there several years ago and the owner is very knowledgeable about brewing beer.

E mail me through my profile and I can answer most of your questions about home brewing that you may have.

tjcurtin1
January 31st, 2009, 10:24 PM
What Blueshowler said.... plus, it takes a bit of time; it'll cut in to your on-line time (or playing time) for sure, but in the first instance, that could be a good thing:poke:

Katastrophe
February 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/181?OVRAW=home%20brew%20beer%20kits&OVKEY=home%20brew%20beer%20kit&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=40054227011&OVKWID=152586954011

I've seen these while out and about. They look pretty cool. I had a friend of mine brew his own dark beer, and I have to say that it was very tasty.

Another former coworker used to make his own wine. Peach wine was incredible.

marnold
February 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM
I like the occasional dark beer and was kicking the idea around of brewing my own if it can be done inexpensively. That said, I was wondering if there are any good starter kits that would minimize upfront costs?

If I can capture the Waco market, I might just go into it full time.
Well, if you want to get into the Waco market, a starter kit won't give you near enough volume :)

I'd probably avoid the Mr. Beer kit. I've heard of a couple people who liked it but most didn't or quickly outgrew it.

Anyway, you can usually get a starter kit for ~$100. I usually get my stuff from House of Homebrew (http://www.houseofhomebrew.com/) in Green Bay, but I'd look to see if you've got a local homebrew shop around. I've been really impressed with the beer made with Brewer's Best kits. It has all the ingredients you need in one box. Beyond that you'd need bottles for bottling and a pot to boil the wort in.

I'd also suggest checking out if there is a homebrew club local to you. Our club has semi-monthly club brews so you can see how to do everything before trying it yourself. They also can help find good deals on equipment, ingredients, etc.

After a year or so I went to all-grain brewing. It's more complicated and has a greater equipment outlay, but you then can make beer exactly the way you want it. The ingredients are cheaper that way too.

You're probably not going to save money making your own beer--at least not initially. But if there is anything cooler than drinking a beer you made yourself, I have yet to figure out what that would be.