PDA

View Full Version : Hey guitar techs

Rx Tone
February 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Who was/is the best band you ever worked for? Why?

Who was the worst band you ever worked for? Why?

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
What is your experience? Who's the best and the worst for you?

Rx Tone
February 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
What is your experience? Who's the best and the worst for you?
Thanks for asking.

My experience?..pretty extensive...

I guess one of my favorite players/clients/friends(easy to work for,low maintenance,sensible...and a bad *** player) is Brian Stoltz.10 years with the Neville Bros. won a Grammy for co-writing "Healing Chant". 5 years with Dr. John and he also appeared on Bob Dylans' "Oh Mercy" record.
Dylan even mentions how good Brian is and how much he likes New Orleans in his latest book "Chronicles". check out Brian at his site.

but the best?... ever?....probably a one off with Buddy Guy. 1 amp, 2 guitars, 1 wah, 2 cables, wireless, and go home after the show.Painless...easy money.

best tour? that's a different category, but probably Conway Twitty back in '84...9 months of bus and truck, I didn't love the music but overall a very low pressure gig with low maintenance players. Oh..and the checks most assuredly cleared the bank...good $$$..for the time, anyway.I s'pose it depends on why you tour as to whether it's a good gig, but I'm in it for the money...Personalities are important...but I can withstand the worst "music" as long as the $$$ is correct.Can I get an "Amen"?

The worst?...no doubt about it, a band called the subdudes.I had 7 amps on stage plus pre amps, FX and pedals, and as many as 13 guitars.Plus usually around 12-15 guitar cues during the show with three players.
Lots and lots of fly dates but my boss was a neurotic, unstable, irrational, oblivious, prima donna who loved hearing about how smart he is and couldn't understand why the rest of the world was so stupid...:yawn: charming....

How 'bout you, Spud? What'cha got for us?

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Lucily I missed out on working with the Subdudes. After the shows the room was usually trashed. People had a good time for sure.

I really liked working with C.J. Chenier. Very classy guy and the whole band was easy going. Just fun. Also really enjoyed Chris Duarte because they all knew what they had to do from the moment they walked into the building until they left. It was easy to get them up and running.

My worst was probably Robert Earl Keen. He was a little overly particular about things and so was Eric Burdon. Those guys were not incredibly unpleasant just not as much fun as everyone else.