PDA

View Full Version : Is this guitar any good?

senan
February 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=170296451290&Category=33040&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Rocket
February 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM
No.

Robert
February 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
I bet it's real awful.

Rocket
February 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Not only is it NOT produced by Gibson... the shape & pickup configuration is licensed to Baldwin for this cheap 3rd World knock-off... on top of that... it's a freakin' B-stock!
Go get an Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special or Les Paul Special II.

senan
February 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
lol thanks guys. but im a beginner. and i really wanna les paul. and i only got 50 quid. so which one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CSB-LP-Electric-Guitar-new-starter-kit_W0QQitemZ400027668336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mus ical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item400027668336&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1308

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Epoch-LP-Guitar-CLEARANCE-SALE-49-99-b_W0QQitemZ170296451290QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Music al_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item170296451290&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Rocket
February 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Neither... you'll be over 50... shipping cost put ya over.

Save a little more and get some quality AND a warranty.
That's my advice.

senan
February 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
thanks dude. but i got the epoch gibson. after watching this vid i think it sounds nice

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eg09TnT4_ZQ

and is this true what this guy is saying? :

hi have the same guitar i bought for 49.99 gbp on ebay type in gibson epoch and only buy off the person called avg if ur gonna by one they are amazing they are better than my fender telecaster but they play just as good as some real gibsons. ps i emailed gibson and they said that they are real gibsons because theyre in argos as gibsons. they also said that because the guitar is made by gibson they send them most gibson parts apart from the body and neck so it sounds like a real gibson

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dZQqMi_uDZ8&feature=related

hubberjub
February 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Save your money. You'll appreciate it in the end.

Rocket
February 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
That's all BS!... but doesn't matter as you're not gonna listen to anyone anyway. If you already made up your mind, why come here to ask the question?

senan
February 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
well sorry. i just thought id ask first. and then i seen that vid. so is it all BS? is that not the guitar in the vid? cause if it is. then im happy. :) and now i can begin to play guitar on my new les paul. thanks for ur help. its because i never listened to u. i became a good guitar player. better than u anyway :)

Spudman
February 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
If you read the comments on the video pretty much the majority say that it's crap. Don't say we didn't warn ya.

Rocket
February 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Story of my life!

Ch0jin
February 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
well sorry. i just thought id ask first. and then i seen that vid. so is it all BS? is that not the guitar in the vid? cause if it is. then im happy. :) and now i can begin to play guitar on my new les paul. thanks for ur help. its because i never listened to u. i became a good guitar player. better than u anyway :)

I'm so hoping English isn't your first language. At least that might explain the attitude I perceive in that post as an accident. :thwap:

Kazz
February 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Wow you just bought a guitar and you play better than Rocket who is a touring musician.....

Damn....I bet you a computer programmer too then.

just strum
February 2nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Don't be too hard on the guy, he wants to play, he wants an LP and he has tunnel vision. This is a beginners section and at a young age the guitar of your dreams (or in this case one w/same body shape) looks magical.

Think back to your youth (Pes, don't look too far back) and remember what it was like.

oldguy
February 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
:messedup:
:messedup:
:eek:

:rotflmao:

( I'll keep an eye out for your U-tube vid playing your new Gibson Les Paul....)

Katastrophe
February 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
senan,

What you bought is a product that is sold mainly in retail stores that don't have a music department, like WalMart or Target. It is intended for students and beginners. The manufacturer slapped the name "Gibson" on it because it is a well known brand, and they hope that you will purchase one of their higher end instruments after you move on from this one.

It is NOT a Gibson Les Paul. I would suspect that at the price point that quality control is nonexistent. "B stock" means that the guitar didn't initially meet what little quality control was there, and it was sent back to the factory to be repaired or refurbished.

It is possible to buy a quality B stock guitar. BUT, you have to know what to look for.

I would also suspect by your posts that you are young, and if not, at least impatient. Dude, it's your money. Spend it how you want. If you're happy with the purchase, then that's all that matters, really. I guarantee, however, that you will either a) not be happy with the guitar eventually and b) will not know how to do a proper setup and maintenance. If it doesn't play crappy now, it will in the very near future. Guitars at this price point can have numerous issues that will need attention over time.

YouTube videos are great. I use them all the time to get an idea of what different guitars and amps sound like. However, I also refuse to purchase ANY guitar or amp when I have not put hands on a similar model and tried it out for myself. The reason is that there are a ton of great players out there, and a great player can make any rig sound good, if they know what they're doing. Also, the comment that you read was probably from another beginner, or someone who is trying to sell his own stock of Epochs.

What Rocket and the others here were trying to do was get you to save some money, and point you in the direction of a quality first guitar that will last for a while. Don't be alarmed if the pots are scratchy, the frets aren't level and cut your hands on the side of the neck, the neck is twisted, the action is a mile off the fretboard, the body starts separating, or you have dead frets or buzzing. Those are just some of the things that can go wrong with a poorly constructed guitar.

Just between Robert and Rocket alone you have enough experience to know that this is probably not a good idea. Spudman owns more guitars than some music stores. If those three tell me to pass on a purchase, it ain't gonna happen. Why? because they are all guitarists that gig regularly and have years of experience between them.

There are some good, inexpensive guitars out there that don't cost an arm and a leg to own. Unfortunately, I don't believe you bought one. Good luck with your purchase, and I hope the guitar makes you happy.

Your attitude is immature and snotty at best. It's a shame, because we have young members here that are productive members who also play well for their respective ages. Claiming, as a beginner, to play better than a touring musician is disrespectful and just plain silly.

See ya on the youtubez, dood.

Rocket
February 2nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
That's one of the most succinct posts ever!

murph
February 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
I agree with Rockets assessment of Katastrophe's evaluation of this young lads situation. Dude, if you are going to come to a forum and ask for an opinion, you are going to get one. Your know it all attitude is an insult to these fine musicians, who by the way, could play a broomstick and make it sound good. You asked for an evaluation of this "Gibson" and Katastrophe and Rocket gave you the best answer that is possible,Save your money. You snub them with a snotty attitude. You have more to learn about than just guitars.

Spudman
February 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/3940/Troll.jpg

kiteman
March 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

Let's have a guitar showdown then, snot.

Suhnton
March 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Never played one, so I'll reserve judgement on it, but I had to laugh at this review of the Epoch on another site:

man. this guitar sounds like MY guitar.. and i found my guitar for free in the trash can. my guitar's neck was almost completely snapped, but i actually repaired it and got it to play somewhat ok.

Ch0jin
March 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Shsssssshhhhh, this thread was sleeping.

markb
March 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Shsssssshhhhh, this thread was sleeping.

Have we got DFTT in that sticky list of abbreviations? ;)

Moshe
March 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Not to mention that guitar on the vid had TONS of effects swirling around. Who knows what the guitar really sounds like.