PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Yamaha DG60s?

Cottonwood King
February 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hey everyone, I'm just getting into this whole guitar thing, so I am looking at getting a decent combo amp. I know a guy who is selling his Yamaha DG 60, which looks like a pretty good amp. It's got built in Digital Delay and reverb, along with a stomp box for selecting effects, and it has decent reviews online, but I wondered if any of you have had any experience with one? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Tarin
February 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Not here but... depending on what price he's asking, i'll suggest you dive into other amp threads in this forum to make a wise decision.
Right now there's a lot of great options for beginner guitarists (such as i) at low prices.
Remember on thing... it does'nt have to be a tube amp to get some killer tone.
you'll be surprised of what some SS amps like the Peavey Vypr, some Line 6's, Vox's and other well known brands can accomplish.

markb
February 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
They get good writeups but consider if you really want a modeling amp. For a first amp you may find the options a little overwhelming (I do and I've been playing for 35 years). There are plenty of straight ahead solid state amps from the likes of Fender and Peavey that go for very little money used. A Peavey Bandit for instance will take you from first practice to first gig and way beyond without breaking either the bank or your back. Just my $0.02.

SuperSwede
February 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
The DG series sounds really really good... very dynamic! Most of them have motorized pots as well, and that is really cool imho.

Cottonwood King
February 3rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Well, the draw with this amp is that he is willing to trade me this amp for a free upright piano I picked up off of Craigslist. So, I'm thinking it's a pretty good deal, I just wanted to know if it was a good amp to get for a trade.

Also, how about the old Gibson Lab Series L9s? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them, and I'm talking to a guy on craigslist about it. I already have this yamaha amp if I want it, but now I want this Gibson, too. They were a fairly short run amp, designed by Moog...

I'm also waiting to hear back from another fella about a Peavey Classic 50 he was selling for only $375.

I'm officially diagnosed with GAS, or should I say AAS?

SuperSwede
February 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Here is some asian dude playing on the DG60.

6250nv1DtyM

markb
February 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Well, the draw with this amp is that he is willing to trade me this amp for a free upright piano I picked up off of Craigslist. So, I'm thinking it's a pretty good deal, I just wanted to know if it was a good amp to get for a trade.

Also, how about the old Gibson Lab Series L9s? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them, and I'm talking to a guy on craigslist about it. I already have this yamaha amp if I want it, but now I want this Gibson, too. They were a fairly short run amp, designed by Moog...

I'm also waiting to hear back from another fella about a Peavey Classic 50 he was selling for only $375.

I'm officially diagnosed with GAS, or should I say AAS?

LABs sound great but are very complex internally. They can be very expensive to repair and hard to dial in. Peavey Classic 50s are real workhorse amps that follow the classic (sorry) Peavey ethos of good, robust kit at reasonable prices. I'd go for the Peavey, but that's my preference. The Classic 50 is not a bedroom amp though, they're very loud.

Cottonwood King
February 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
The Peavey classic is choice number one, but I have no cash on hand. That's what's killing me, it's so cheap, but still at $375 it's too expensive. If I can scrape enough cash together I'm getting it, but we'll see.

Cottonwood King
February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
They get good writeups but consider if you really want a modeling amp. For a first amp you may find the options a little overwhelming (I do and I've been playing for 35 years). There are plenty of straight ahead solid state amps from the likes of Fender and Peavey that go for very little money used. A Peavey Bandit for instance will take you from first practice to first gig and way beyond without breaking either the bank or your back. Just my $0.02.

Yea, I noticed that. I was playing it last night, and got super confused as far as what button or effect did what, or which preset the footboard took me to on the delay, or how to reset it. However, The owner showed me how to work it more, and that it has a built in tuner, reverb, and digital delay accessible with the foot pedal. That was cool.

It was kind of embarrassing though, I had it on a preset, and told him the amp was nice, just not loud enough for what I wanted, and he was like, "really? I never turned that thing up all the way." He proceeded to walk over to the amp, put it on manual, crank the amp to ten, and promptly deafen me. I was impressed with the sound and completely embarrassed all at the same time!