PDA

View Full Version : I'm GASing for...

scgmhawk
February 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
a higher end guitar. My 3 guitar collection cost a total of $600! While they are fun, I've gotten GAS pains of late wanting more. This will most likely be a couple of month search as I haven't tried any out yet -- I've just been going on message boards and reading reviews (I haven't found any bad reviews of the 3 I have listed). I primarily play blues and rock.

I am pretty sure I want a HSS combination for maximum versatility. As of today, the guitars currently causing me the most pain are:

1. Suhr Pro Series 1 (most expensive -- not sure I want to spend this much)
2. Musicman Luke or Steve Morse (middle price) -- mass produced but everything I've read indicates high quality.
3. Carvin DC135 (cheapest but won't be able to try out) -- this intrigues me because I can customize it.

What do you think? Any thoughts of other guitars I should also be checking out? Maybe cheaper with similar quality. I appreciate the input and wisdom of this board! Thanks in advance. :rockon:

sensei
February 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
What kind of music do you play? I've heard good things about Suhr guitars.

A friend of mine has a SRV signature strat and loves it. Personally I like Peavey guitars.

In my mind though, it doesn't matter what research you do, or what opinions you hear. Once you sit down in a room full of guitars for sale and start playing. One of them will choose you.

S

duhvoodooman
February 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
People who have Carvin's seem to love 'em. And the customization is a cool thing. I'm still hoping to be able to get a CT6 Cali Carved-Top some day.... :drool:

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I say, a Suhr for you, Sir!

mrmudcat
February 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Carvin will give you the best possible guitar for the money!! Suhr are nice gunslingers according to the boss ^^^^^^^^^^^^ so I guess price will decide!

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm biased, I admit. I am so hooked on my Suhr guitar and I may not be able to separate the wheat from the chaff as a result. I haven't tried Carvin guitars, but I have heard a lot of good things about them.

Spud can tell your more about the Luke. He's got one.

Blaze
February 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I bought one these from the same guy ,realy nice at cheap price ..But a Shur is a Shur ,no doubt..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170298990860&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/3683497498badaf80.jpg

marnold
February 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'd suggest patience and at least make sure you get to try all of these in person before making a decision. The hardest to find will be a Carvin. You'll get the best bang-for-buck out of those and also have a guitar that is uniquely your own. The only problem is that their resale value is really bad. I'm really not sure why that is other than the custom nature of their guitars. If the day would come that I'd get a more expensive instrument, I'd seriously look at Carvin.

scgmhawk
February 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the input so far, guys. I knew someone had a Luke on the board but I couldn't find the posting. Hopefully Spud will chime in.

Yes, in my preliminary research I have not read anything bad about Carvin -- other than resale. Probably because of the customization and the fact that they are apparently pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

I will definitely try a Suhr, but it may be out of my price range at this point. We'll see! I'm also sure others will pop up as I truly begin my search.

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I bought a Bolt a few years ago. It was transparent green over "swamp ash." Now when I think of swamp ash, I think "light in weight." This guitar was easily as heavy as a Les Paul. It also had some fret buzz issues that I couldn't get worked out, even after talking to a tech at Carvin. So I ended up returning it. I bought the guitar from their guitars in stock page, but now I know to order one by talking to an actual person at Carvin. I believe that most of the guitars in stock are returns, and are returned for a reason.

I have a friend who is a materials engineer, PhD. no less. He is also a big fan of Carvin guitars. He suggested to me that if I were to get a Carvin, I should get one with a maple or rosewood fingerboard. The neck stiffening rods and the ebony fretboards on their standard guitars tend to make them very bright. If you like that kind of tone, they you're good. If not, get rose wood or maple for the fingerboard.

I've often heard criticism that the stock pickups aren't that great, but YMMV. And pickups are easily changed.

I hope someday to get a Carvin, they offer tremendous bang for the buck and sound good.

tung

Thanks for all the input so far, guys. I knew someone had a Luke on the board but I couldn't find the posting. Hopefully Spud will chime in.

Yes, in my preliminary research I have not read anything bad about Carvin -- other than resale. Probably because of the customization and the fact that they are apparently pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

I will definitely try a Suhr, but it may be out of my price range at this point. We'll see! I'm also sure others will pop up as I truly begin my search.

Blaze
February 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Carvin reviews in there ;

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=472359&highlight=carvin

scgmhawk
February 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks for that link, Blazes. Well made with poor pickups was the consensus of that thread. I think pickups are very subjective but it was overwhelming on that thread!

Rocket
February 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
If I were you I'd get up and go out and play everything I could get my hands on... then your decision would be based on something real for YOU instead of a lot of individual opinions based on knowing nothing about you or your style.

mrmudcat
February 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I have 3 carvins .A new cali carve top ..pups are great ,a new v220 with different set of carvin pups they are great !!I also have a 80's v220 .....all great.Tung all my fretboards are ebony.Only on the cali carv top is it a lil bright.(mahog body maple top) The new 220 is swamp ash with maple neck through and the old 220 is all hard rock maple.They are not bright at all!!

Carvin pups are really good pups in my opinion.:rockon:

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I agree with Rocket. Take the advise here and use it as a starting point for a test drive, but don't pass up things that catch your eyes and ears along the way. Test them, new or used and if you find something new, see if you can find a used one and save some $$$.

Are you selling what you have in order to bring up your spending range or is that already part of your calculation?

If you want opinion, take along a friend for another set of ears (one that isn't prone to say whatever it is you want to to hear).

scgmhawk
February 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I agree. I won't necessarily buy based on advice or reviews, but they can certainly sway me not to buy! This won't be an impulse buy (I hope!) because I'm looking to spend some decent cash. I'm not going to sell my others -- just adding on at this point.

Lots of good advice. I really appreciate it! :beer:

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I agree. I won't necessarily buy based on advice or reviews, but they can certainly sway me not to buy! This won't be an impulse buy (I hope!) because I'm looking to spend some decent cash. I'm not going to sell my others -- just adding on at this point.

Lots of good advice. I really appreciate it! :beer:

I have the feeling you are going to be posting a very good "Guess what I got today". I will live my guitar GAS through you - buy a really nice one so I am GAS relieved for a while.

wingsdad
February 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I agree with Rocket. Take the advise here and use it as a starting point for a test drive, but don't pass up things that catch your eyes and ears along the way. Test them, new or used and if you find something new, see if you can find a used one and save some $$$.
If you want opinion, take along a friend for another set of ears (one that isn't prone to say whatever it is you want to to hear).

Ditto these sages...

I'd only suggest you either lug your amp along or be sure the store has one like it to test-drive whatever you try, so as not to be mystified about why it doesn't sound the same when you get it home. Or buy the amp, too, if you like the marriage.:thwap:

Rocket
February 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
...buy the amp, too...
Uh.... YEAH! I thought that was implied.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
What all those other guys said. If you want to spend that kind of money, make sure it is the one you are in love with. Happy shopping!

F_BSurfer
February 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
in hss other options could be G & L or Ibenez