PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over

piebaldpython
February 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
A gazillion years ago (closer to 35-40, :D ) I took some guitar lessons on an old Harmony semi-hollowbody with a little tube amp. The git/amp are long gone (passed on to nephews, doubt if they still have them) but the love for guitar remains and it's time to learn to play.
I know where first postion note/chords are, the diff types of barre chords (not that I do them all that well, :D ). I know where the blues scale and first position minor pentatonic scale are too.
So, I eagerly await Monsieur Rocket's lessons.
In the mean time, I am learning the NECK....how to play the same triad chord a bunch of different ways (inversions).....I am doing this with the major and minor chords......and since I wanna play the blues, I'm learning the movable dominant 7th chords all over the neck too.

Monkus
April 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM
good luck ! hang in there...

Robert
April 16th, 2009, 07:37 AM
How are things coming along, piebald?

piebaldpython
April 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Slower than I would like as I have had a million things vying for my time. :D Chief among them being work and overtime at work. :beer: So, I am not playing nearly as much as I had hoped at the time of my original posting. Plus, I have had some GAS pains that I took care of but haven't had the chance to test out the new gear. :thwap:

That being said, I feel that I am improving a bit. I'm getting more familiar with the fretboard and finding my comfort zones with respect to chords, chord shapes. My fingerpicking drills are paying off and I'm slowly building accuracy in my picking (Hey Rocket, I can do it and not look at my hand).

I hope to get some more time soon.

sumitomo
April 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Pie I have been playing off and on for years,I mostly play blues and I have usually get lost in scales and could never get much speed and control up but I have been playing with a DVD I bought by Andy Aledort,I didnt think I would like it cause of the name Play lead guitar but wow it has opened up a lot of doors and helped me alot!Best 15 bucks I ever spent.Really try it,the only thing you got to lose in slow playin with no understanding.Sumi:D

ZMAN
April 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM
When I "restarted" my guitar playing after amost 30 years I set some goals. It was something I learned in my career that took up most of my time for those 30 years. You set the goals and find a plan on how to achieve them. My ultimate goal was to be able to play along with my favourite guitarists note for note. What I realized was that none of them play the songs exactly the same. They put "their" style into it. At first I was obsessed with scales and progressions, and I found they helped me gain a knowledge of the board and really helped with my skill and dexterity. I used several of the DVD series, like Blues you can use, and Essential Blues guitar, and Hot licks Robben Ford, to name a few.
I found "recorded version" tablature books on my favourite blues albums and learned from them. With them I usually learn the intro, so you know what song I am playing then play along with them in my style, as if jamming with the artist.
Every so often I go back to the DVD series and I am finding that they are really basic and I am playing over the rythm tracks using a lot more phrases than they do.
I am not saying I am Buddy, or Eric, or Robben, but I am very happy with my progress.
Of course I retired very early and have a lot of time to practice and I do.
One of the biggest things that has come out of it has been my ability to hear a song and then go right to that key on the neck and play along.
I have recently set new goals, and I am working on a better understanding of chords and progresions. I find this all very rewarding.

TS808
April 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I really think it's a learning and RE-LEARNING process. Periodically I hit stale points where I feel like I'm not progressing at all, and it's always cool to revisit things like scales, chords, etc. I'm no speed demon on the guitar by any means, but over the years there has been alot of progress, but I don't see it as straight up...it's been an experience of peaks and valleys for me.

I feel like I hit another sticking point or rut, and contacted a guy about lessons. Had the first one last night. Always a good idea.

Geraint Jones
April 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM
In a way I look forward to getting into a rut, pretty soon I kick myself up the arse and starting moving forward again to another level . After quite a few years of playing with a pick I`ve tried to teach myself finger picking and can`t believe how cack handed I am .

Perfect Stranger
June 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hang with it. There will be times you'll seem stagnant....but also times of epiphany. Where everything just falls into place. Those are the best...

Tig
June 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Pie, keep finding the time to play, even for 20 or so minutes at a time.

I'm also in the Starting Over gang. I goofed around with an acoustic and a few electrics in my early to mid 20's, but switched to keyboards and later bass. I picked up a guitar again 6 months ago after 20 year off. (I'm 46 now) While I don't have much in the past to base my playing from, I'm pleased how much better than expected I am doing. Maybe having more patience that comes with age is helping!

I decided I needed a solid base to learn from, so I'm working my way through Fretboard Logic now. I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like, but progress is always welcome, even in small doses.

I started with a cheap Epi LP Jr. and a 15 watt Peavey Vypyr (not bad sounding after a speaker upgrade), and am now playing a Reverend Club King 290 with a modded Epi Valve Jr. I'm finally getting those tones that were once elusive, and my technique is improving little by little. I look forward to expanding my abilities over the next few decades, as far as my fingers and imagination will allow.

Rocket
June 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
There will be times you'll seem stagnant....but also times of epiphany.
...sometimes Epiphony!

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q392/jimcustom/Epiphone_Logo.jpg