PDA

View Full Version : Harmony-Central is a tough place...

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I thought other forums might have some players enjoying a jazz backing track, so I posted on
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=32652221

Look at the responses I got! :eek: OUCH.

I guess I should just stay away from there ... :thwap:

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Don't know what to say other than I am glad I don't go there much. I suppose that is fun for some people. Not me. :whatever:

I have had good luck on their classifieds for a couple pedals though.

markb
February 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Methinks "Smilin' Bob" must be an ironic choice of screen name :)

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM
What a bunch of douche bags. :whatever:

I'm all for criticism as long as it is constructive.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, ***** about how they could have done it better on the Internet.

Numbn*ts.

tung

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Methinks "Smilin' Bob" must be an ironic choice of screen name :)

He should spell it with two o's. :rotflmao:

tung

BluezOldy
February 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM
A nasty, redneck place best avoided.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
apparently not much harmony there.

Blaze
February 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Kings of the hill strike again...Too bad ..Good thing that other forums exist for these Jug heads power trips..

Vive le Quebec libre :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I know I'm not much of a jazz player, but that seemed a little harsh...

I thought a free and useful backing track would be appreciated, but maybe not?

Rocket
February 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Isn't it funny how everyone here reacts by condemning, and then responding in almost exactly the same fashion... bitter & acidic?
Where are those callouses when ya need em.

peachhead
February 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
apparently not much harmony there.

:rotflmao: exactly.

Just reminds me how much I enjoy this one.

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Rocket, I can handle criticism pretty good. I just thought a backing track would be appreciated by a community of guitar players. I was just surprised at what came back at me. My jam was also just a practice session, not intended to be a real tune or anything. Just some wanking, which maybe means I get what I deserve? I could have made a polished, worked-on project but I didn't.

Rocket
February 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I totally get it Robert... I was just pointing out a socialogical hilarity... it's how wars get started over small issues.

On a similar note... I get the same responses sometimes. I DO need a band behind me... I'm the very first to admit it... I'm a band player.

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Isn't it funny how everyone here reacts by condemning, and then responding in almost exactly the same fashion... bitter & acidic?
Where are those callouses when ya need em.

"People might be more civil if it wasn't an invitation to walk all over you." - Calvin and Hobbes.

tung

Blaze
February 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Here s what mr. Smilin' Bob signature section has to offer :

"" F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Geezer Brigade Trooper #99 ""

birv2
February 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
That forum is the very reason I came over to this one.

Don't worry about it Robert. I'm thinking something about pearls and swine...

oldguy
February 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM
It was a nice gesture on your part, Robert. Maybe in time those folks will learn how to solo over your track for 4 minutes without being repetitious.......as it was meant to be something helpful, not a pro track, not a backing band, but a practice tool and a fun thing, you did a nice thing and it wasn't appreciated there.
Oh, while I'm thinking about it..................

Thanks for the backer, Robert!
When I get some free time, I'll try and play something along with it, then post it online and wait for the remarks.

Algonquin
February 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Yup, Harmony-Central can be a tough place... I rarely go by there anymore since being banned.

ted s
February 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
:messedup:
Huh ?! David.. our very own 'gonqmeister got banned from a guitar forum ?
what, are you kidding me ? wth did you do ?

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I look at it as - you put it out there and the one guy stated it went on too long, blah, blah, blah, was only giving his opinion and didn't get overly nasty.

As he pointed out a few posts down, even Mozart had his critics. I believe it was the same guy that noted Robert plays better than he does, so it was a tip of the hat as well. The rest of them, probably never posted a track and took the risk to be criticized.

If it makes you feel any better Robert, I don't like every track you post here - I just change the channel. For me it's not the playing ability, but more the type of music that occasionally gets posted here (by any member) that I am not interested in. It's just personal preference/taste.

Besides, you probably have bigger veins than any of those wimps over there.

Ch0jin
February 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I've got nothing constructive to say about internet tough guys and eExperts (as I like to call them). Spend some time on digg and youtube and you'll be convinced all people are as*holes. Shake it off and post your demo's here where we appreciate listening to them :)

So as far as the track goes, I'm no Jazz expert, but I kinda thought Jazz guitar (and horns) were supposed to sound like noodling? I've listened to Miles Davis and to my ears he's all over the place. I've seen a couple of acoustic Jazz guitarists, including one kinda famous one who basically said he improvises the whole set because thats what Jazz is about. The guy had mega Jazz chops, but at the end of the day it still sounded like noodling to me.

That being the case, my constructive critique on that track would be that it did go a little long without any sense of a journey (or story if you like). If you wanted to turn it into a song some day I'd look at overlaying some kind of structure that will help tell a story to the listener is drawn in. No need for intro-bridge-chorus and so on, just break it up a little with some more chords perhaps, maybe a slight change of tone (neck to bridge or vice versa perhaps) What would transform the track entirely is a sultry female vocal and/or some horns. The addition of another instrument like that would mean you could probably leave your guitar track mostly as is and use the other instruments as accents and punctuation.

Regarding the sound itself, I thought the BT was great. No suggestions there from me. Your guitar tone is great and the amp model suits the feel of the track too. I saw the poster on HC that said "Thats no AC30". Who cares? It's about the sound, not how you got it. Your playing was also impressive. My critiques are purely around the arrangement, and are offered in the hope that they might be helpful.

I hope that makes sense because I'm a. not really a jazz fan (unless it appears in trip-hop tracks), b. nowhere near your league as a guitarist, and c. not much of a songwriter.

I just thought as you originally posted the track for review, I'd have a go at giving you one. I hope thats OK :)

(Oh and by the way, I've put your track on my ipod, it's great to have in the background while I work so don't think I hated it haha)

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yup, Harmony-Central can be a tough place... I rarely go by there anymore since being banned.

How does one get banded from that hell hole??? You must have asked someone to act civilized.

duhvoodooman
February 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
:messedup:
Huh ?! David.. our very own 'gonqmeister got banned from a guitar forum ?
what, are you kidding me ? wth did you do ?
Geez, I hope it was something really evil, after reading that!

Robert, if you're a "middling guitarist", I hope Smilin' Bob stops by here one of these days and checks out some of the tonal horrors the rest of us "sub-middlers" have recorded. The experience would probably prove fatal to him. I hope....

Ch0jin
February 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Geez, I hope it was something really evil, after reading that!

Robert, if you're a "middling guitarist", I hope Smilin' Bob stops by here one of these days and checks out some of the tonal horrors the rest of us "sub-middlers" have recorded. The experience would probably prove fatal to him. I hope....

Haha maybe he should listen my fuzz pedal demo. That'd kill him for sure ;)

Darren - Certified Sub-Middler :)

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Chojin and Strum, no problemo. I appreciate the feedback. I do not expect everyone to love what I do. This was just a practice track and I was practicing playing over the changes, and posted my take. It is far from being a real piece. I would of course look at the form, arrangement and variation in the drumming and bass if that was my intention, but that is cool, I totally get that it sounds repetitive and kinda boring after a while. It is just a practice track. And I am just practicing over it. :)

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Chojin and Strum, no problemo. I appreciate the feedback. I do not expect everyone to love what I do. This was just a practice track and I was practicing playing over the changes, and posted my take. It is far from being a real piece. I would of course look at the form, arrangement and variation in the drumming and bass if that was my intention, but that is cool, I totally get that it sounds repetitive and kinda boring after a while. It is just a practice track. And I am just practicing over it. :)

My comments weren't specific to you, it was more in regards to my taste in music. I am not a big jazz fan, so I would most likely not listen or not give it a close listen. I do realize that people post for different reasons, some for playing style, some to demonstrate improvement in their playing, some to demonstrate their mixing ability and the reasons go on and on. If I hear something that I like, I usually comment.

Now Robert, don't be signing up your friends from the HC in an effort to increase your referrals. If you do, I will petition to have you banded. If I don't do that, I will bring over more from Washburn (if you think the crew I brought over is bad, just wait:D )

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I just thought of something - they are concerned about spam and advertising - I wonder if they took the time to look around the site they are posting on?

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
With such moderators, the HC place is doomed... I am very happy that we have the atmosphere and camaraderie that we have here. It's a world between HC and TFN (The Fret.Net).

Thank YOU guys for making this place what it is. :AOK:

Spudman
February 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I've noticed at HC they talk very little about music and playing. It seems they mostly want to insult each other, create parody threads, talk about sex and body parts. In general everything but guitar. They were probably dumb struck when they heard your clip and couldn't figure out what it was. I'm sure they couldn't handle something so foreign to them.;)

I enjoyed hearing the clip but your guitar was mixed low and when you have such a static backer you really need to use a lot of dynamics to make it feel like something is going on rather than noodling. You played some great phrases and it was diverse just maybe not as dynamic volume wise as it could have been.

PS. Screw Harmony Central.

Bloozcat
February 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Oh, you posted it in Cool Jam...

They're generally a group of constipated old crumudgeons who love to look for fault in everything. I used to hang out there a bit in the past (even being bestowed with the honorable "Geezer Brigade Member" title). It became just too tedious a chore to continue.

Robert, you got their equivalent of "Hey, get off my lawn, kid"...:reallymad:

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I remixed my take. Listen again?

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/jazz_guitar_backing_tracks/

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Robert, you got their equivalent of "Hey, get off my lawn, kid"...:reallymad:

So they treated him nicer than they treat most.

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I remixed my take. Listen again?

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/jazz_guitar_backing_tracks/

I don't know if it is me, but I can't connect.

Rocket
February 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
With such moderators, the HC place is doomed... I am very happy that we have the atmosphere and camaraderie that we have here. It's a world between HC and TFN (The Fret.Net).

Thank YOU guys for making this place what it is. :AOK:
Maybe you can connect with this: I felt the same sort of thing when I first strolled into TFN and away from my comfort neighborhood... it felt very, very, overly cliquey.
I know from some emails & PM's that I'm not the only one that felt that... I laid low until it passed... they don't frequent TFN anymore.
Maybe another project for 2009 would be to attempt to overcome that cliquish feel toward new members.
(Of course, I have no idea how one would accomplish that!)

Robert
February 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Rocket, I sure hope you didn't get that kind HC treatment here though! :eek:

We have many different kinds of guitar players here, and that's great. There is room for every kind of player here. You don't have to belong to a certain style of music in order to enjoy this place. At least, I hope that is the case. We seem to have everything from metal and shred to country and jazz as musical interests, so we should be good.

tjcurtin1
February 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Re Rockets last post:

I think that happens when a group of people get to know each other (to the degree and in the way that happens on-line) and get comfortable with each other; know each other's sense of humor, and post comments that refer to a long history of posting. Someone new joining invariable feels out of the loop, even though there is no intention to be cliquish or make others feel 'outside' the 'insiders'. This can be seen (and can be a temporary problem) when for example folks post 'negative' comments in support of another member who's been bashed somewhere else. Having read lots of your posts, I can 'read' the tone, and can usually tell when someone's 'flame' is tongue-in-cheek. The thing that I've always liked and appreciated about the Fret is the civility and friendliness that predominates. I would hope that anyone who sticks around long enough to read through a few posts would pick up on that.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM

Huh? Do tell! (EDIT: I can see it now, our own David/Algonquin banned for excessive reasonableness. ;) )

P.S. Robert, I think the guitar sounds clearer to me on that mix. Also, I am finding as I re-listen, that I hear the phrases much better that on my first, "quick while I was at work" listen. Not that it sounds like a professional cut, and you stated you didn't intend it as such. But once I took time to listen a little more closely, I can hear what you are practicing much better. And like Oldguy said, thanks for the backer. :AOK:

Algonquin
February 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hmmm... why don't we all individually record and post a four minute free-form jazz exploration on HC and sit back and watch the show! :munch:

Fretcruiser
February 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Whoa. I've been a part of the marcseal.com forum and now this one. The marc seal forum has become like a family, and this one is really friendly too. Don't worry Robert, some people are just jealous and bitter. Just keep posting here and let them throw their own crap at each other.:pancake:

bigoldron
February 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hmmm... why don't we all individually record and post a four minute free-form jazz exploration on HC and sit back and watch the show! :munch:

I'm afraid mine would sound like a spastic colon. Really don't think I could stand the feedback for that one. :D

Brian Krashpad
February 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM
The funny thing is that Cool Jam is supposed to be more laid back than some other forums there.

The places one really should avoid over there are Open Jam and the Political forum. Those are really really bad. Guitar Jam is all over the place, but is designed to be off-topic. When there I've learned to not even click on troll threads any more. My fave is Electric Guitars. That's pretty reasonable.

hubberjub
February 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Harmony Central is like high school. If you don't have 10,000 posts on there you will be ridiculed in most of their forums. I have bought a lot of gear through the classified listings though.

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Maybe another project for 2009 would be to attempt to overcome that cliquish feel toward new members.

I think most of us experienced that, however it is not unique to TFN by any means. The influx of Washburnites had to look a bit strange. It's a lot of people, different tastes, different personalities.

I went to a large high school (3,100 students) and like most high schools it's no different here. You tend to communicate better with some and not so good with others.

I tend to ignore the ones I don't seem to "click" with. Too many people here that I enjoy communicating with to let a few discourage me. There is nothing wrong with that.

Rocket
February 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I went to a large high school (3,100 students) and like most high schools it's no different here.
Maybe that's the problem... 12 in my graduating class.

hubberjub
February 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe that's the problem... 12 in my graduating class.

I thought the 37 I graduated with was something special.

duhvoodooman
February 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm afraid mine would sound like a spastic colon. Really don't think I could stand the feedback for that one. :D
So don't go back and read the feedback! Just post it and get out of Dodge. Kind of like a dog and a hydrant.... :D

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
So don't go back and read the feedback! Just post it and get out of Dodge. Kind of like a dog and a hydrant.... :D

Hah, funny thing is, when speaking of that group, that is more appropriately stated than one might think.

Oh and for the small graduation class crowd - It was a school of 3100, the graduating class was much smaller at somewhere around 950. Just small town folk.

thearabianmage
February 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Because that would involve taking the time to sign up in the first place :D

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Because that would involve taking the time to sign up in the first place :D

A young man with some smarts and wisdom.:AOK:

Plank_Spanker
February 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
HC is full of little kiddies and morons.

oldguy
February 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
HC is full of little kiddies and morons.
As is the internet, as is the world.......
you can tell a lot about people by how they treat others, anywhere.

Childbride
February 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
As is the internet, as is the world.......
you can tell a lot about people by how they treat others, anywhere.

+1...

and i was in a class of almost 1100.

people, in their hearts, evoke their words.

go from there.
k

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I know from some emails & PM's that I'm not the only one that felt that... I laid low until it passed... they don't frequent TFN anymore.
I'd love to hear more about the perceived cliquishness. But not right now, the cool kids are listening.

...heading back to the space alien table to eat my lunch alone.

BTW, I thought that the Washburnout was a lot of fun.

slow&alive
November 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I gotta tell ya, I love this backing track by Robert. I keep running into on the internet, and everytime I do, I always have to stop and play it, and jam along to Robert's Take .

Robert, your playing has a lovely meandering quality that is precious and wonderful to jam with. It is quintessential! Really. Your recording is par excellence, all levels are good (and your guitar tone is "to die for"). In additon, I just love your walking bass throughout the track...Yowsah, Massa Boss!

And so, we won't mention HC as they have a ways to go in many areas..

The truth be told, I get the bug every once in a while to look for some new backing tracks on the net, and these recent months I've been looking for good jazz backing tracks...

Here's the thing. My Google was this: forum "jazz backing track"
(because I've found that snooping on forums can usually yield some good stuff)

The punchline to this is: The very first search return is...
The link to Robert's jazz backup track!. :applause

Now, ain't that the Cat's Meow!

So, Robert, your jazz backing track is not only great (especially your take on it), but it has the most prominent position on the world-wide internet for searching for jazz backing tracks at various forums!
(HC notwithstanding)

:applause

Besides, you have first place in this because you are such a humble gentleman, and a generous one at that...and yer BT is batchin'. :rockon

Thanks for the track! :)

just strum
November 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM
How can you stroke his ego like that.

He's a bum, an exiled European that was sent to Canada where he must live with his out of place accent and oversized veins.

Let it be said the HC people have spoken!!!

Ok, I've been up all night and have reached the point of boredom. I'm only joking, well except the part about European, living in Canada, accent, and oversized veins. The bum part I made up.

Robert
November 8th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Haha, yeah Strum, I have to live with my oversized veins and out of place accent. Ain't easy, I tell ya...

slow&alive, thank you for the kind words. I don't I think I really deserve them, but I am glad you enjoy what you found!

Spudman
November 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Haha, yeah Strum, I have to live with my oversized veins and out of place accent. Ain't easy, I tell ya...

See, now there is the problem. Just throw "eh" (ay) at the end of everything and no problems.

Fixed

Haha, yeah Strum, I have to live with my oversized veins and out of place accent. Ain't easy, I tell ya...eh.:D

Not much we can do about the veins though.

mrmudcat
November 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Robert we love ya just stick with family .......and yea that place bites:what

just strum
November 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
See, now there is the problem. Just throw "eh" (ay) at the end of everything and no problems.

Just like notes, it's not how many, but where you place them.

kiteman
November 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
HC forum? Is that Hell's Children forum? :whatever:

Mike S.
November 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Those who are quick to rip apart a performance for sport, all the while failing to provide solid, constructive advice are nearly always piss poor players themselves.

Don't let the armchair cyber "experts" get you down.