PDA

View Full Version : E Chord moves and becomes?

Ch0jin
February 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I've been messing with a little finger picking melody for a while now and I thought I'd mention it here as a bit of an exercise for (us) beginners.

Someone once told me you can play an E chord in several positions on the neck, so a while ago I thought I'd play with that concept as a base to practicing finger style. You know, keep my left hand stuff simple so I can concentrate on the right and all.

Anyway, before you try and pick individual strings, just strum an open E chord, then slide that shape up 1 fret and try it again, then 1 more fret (so 2 frets from an open E) and try that.

See? They all sound musical :)

So what I've been doing is just moving between these three chords and trying out using two fingers to arpeggio (arpeggiate?) those three chords. It's not really enough for a song, but it's musical enough for practicing string skipping, single strings, leaving strings ring while you play others and so on.

I'm sorry I have NO idea what the second two chords are, or what key that'd be in I just got excited that I might be able to contribute something :)

thekiwidisciple
February 5th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Moving it up twice turns it into Gb11.

Ch0jin
February 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks! What about moving it up once? (and is there an easy way of working these things out?)

thekiwidisciple
February 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM
No idea. I'm not sure it's a proper chord, really...

oldguy
February 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Sure it is. Take your pick:
E5add#5addb9add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 9th Add 11th
Esus4#5addb9add12 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 9th Add 12th
Esus4#5addb9add5 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 9th Add 5th
E5add#5addb2add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 11th
Esus4#5addb2add12 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 12th
Esus4#5addb2add5 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 5th
CM13b11sus4/E C/E Major 13th Flat 11th Suspended 4th
FM#11/E F/E Major Sharp 11th
B7#11b9sus4/E B/E 7th Sharp 11th Flat 9th Suspended 4th
B7b9sus4b5/E B/E 7th Flat 9th Suspended 4th Flat 5th

I know next to squat about chord theory, I just know where to look.
Those chord names could even be wrong......you need to see for yourself......
Go to this link, make up your chords, scales, etc.......and see what they are.
It's a good site, try it.

http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=0&string4=0&string3=2&string2=3&string1=3&string0=0&notes=flats&labels=letter

aeolian
February 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks! What about moving it up once? (and is there an easy way of working these things out?)

I'm no expert on theory. I take it you moved the open position E chord shape up 1 fret but left the open strings open? Moving the barre E shape up 1 fret will give you an F chord (which of course you already know), but since you left strings 1 & 2 open, that where it gets interesting. The 1st string remains an 'e', so that is the major 7th of the F chord, the 2nd string will be the flat 5th of the F chord. So I am guessing this chord is a Fmaj7b5.

evenkeel
February 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I'm no expert on theory. I take it you moved the open position E chord shape up 1 fret but left the open strings open? Moving the barre E shape up 1 fret will give you an F chord (which of course you already know), but since you left strings 1 & 2 open, that where it gets interesting. The 1st string remains an 'e', so that is the major 7th of the F chord, the 2nd string will be the flat 5th of the F chord. So I am guessing this chord is a Fmaj7b5.

And that is way more theory than I'm going to ever know.

On a practical level the "E shape" slid up to the 1, 2, 3 and 4th fret is the foundation (if you will) of the old Cream tune "I'm so Glad".

Ch0jin
February 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Wow Oldguy, that site is pretty cool for working out a few of my "invented" chords, but they sure are a mouthful!

"OK Boys, it's a 12 bar blues in E5add#5addb2add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 11th. Everyone cool with that?"

(OK so I substituted a chord for a key for the sake of comedy)

I might just do a quick clip to demonstrate what I'm on about. (although the news just told me the the state of NSW will have the highest temperature anywhere in the world this weekend, around 47c (116f) so I might just be lying in the pool for 48 hours)

Evenkeel, I vaguely recall that song. I'll dig it out and refresh my memory :)

Aeolian, I was trying it again last night and I actually only use the top E when playing the open E chord. It sounds a little strange 1 fret up, and a lot strange 2 frets up.

Anyway, I was trying to offer a beginner tip, but it's starting to look a bit intimidating :)

slow&alive
February 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I just made a post here that fits right with this topic:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=119483&postcount=1

The Chord Finder gave FMaj7#11, which is the same as aeolian's Fmaj7b5.

I love this Chord Finder. As a matter of fact, I finally purchased it last night. I am currently using it to discover & learn as many open chords that are on the neck. Playing them sounds fantastic, especially when done all over the neck doing various grooves and vamps -- the sound is way cool!

And yes, evenkeel, doing that rundown using the E-chord position is part of the fun..."I'm So Glad" by the Cream. :D

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Here is something to play around with

http://www.gootar.com/guitar/

oldguy
February 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Wow Oldguy, that site is pretty cool for working out a few of my "invented" chords, but they sure are a mouthful!

"OK Boys, it's a 12 bar blues in E5add#5addb2add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 11th. Everyone cool with that?"

(OK so I substituted a chord for a key for the sake of comedy)

I might just do a quick clip to demonstrate what I'm on about. (although the news just told me the the state of NSW will have the highest temperature anywhere in the world this weekend, around 47c (116f) so I might just be lying in the pool for 48 hours)

Evenkeel, I vaguely recall that song. I'll dig it out and refresh my memory :)

Aeolian, I was trying it again last night and I actually only use the top E when playing the open E chord. It sounds a little strange 1 fret up, and a lot strange 2 frets up.

Anyway, I was trying to offer a beginner tip, but it's starting to look a bit intimidating :)

It was a good beginner's tip, don't let anything intimidate you, play all sorts of open chords up and down the neck, and have fun doing it.
It doesn't matter what intricate names are applied to what you're doing, just do it. As someone once told me...........
"Quit analyzing it so much, pick the damn thing up and play it"
:D :D :D

marnold
February 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
If I'm just watching T.V. sometimes I'll be noodling around and I'll misfret a chord, but it sounds cool. Then I have to stop and look at what I did. You can have many "happy accidents" (thanks, Bob Ross) that way.

Ch0jin
February 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks OldGuy :)

"Pick it up and play it" is exactly how my tip came about anyway. Honestly I don't really even pay much attention to the strings I'm hitting with my strumming fingers anyway in this example. That's why I thought it'd be a good beginners tip. You can pretty much just let your picking fingers wander and it sounds good.

From this "exercise" (If any other beginners are actually still reading) I usually switch to a minor chord progression and do the same thing. Em Am Dm and pick almost random strings with the right hand until it sounds melodic. Recently I switched a full minor chord practice session to the "Riders on the Storm" chord progression which is Em Am D C. Both ways though really help your coordination between shaping open chords and single string finger skills.

You could of course try any of these exercises using a plectrum, it's just that personally I'm leaning more and more towards fingers for the softer, smoother tone.

Ch0jin
February 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
If I'm just watching T.V. sometimes I'll be noodling around and I'll misfret a chord, but it sounds cool. Then I have to stop and look at what I did. You can have many "happy accidents" (thanks, Bob Ross) that way.

Exactly. Another "mystery" chord I found that way is a modification of Dm.
Fret the chord and notice your pinky finger has nothing to do? Place it next to your ring finger, but on the low E. Sounds cool but no idea what it really is :)

mcgreggor57
February 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Similar web site I use often: http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

player
February 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Okay now.in keeping on topic here.if an E chord is played try dropping the finger in the 3rd position down one string after playing an E chord then using the dropped finger chord strum then slide it to the G position.those chords played and muted correct yield Steppenwolfs tune ''The Pusher'' you just have to play them and mute where it's called for.interesting tune that beats born to be wild to pieces while giving up other ideas for experimenting with.no clue how John Kay came up with the things he did but they're all good.
consider this my small contribution to the beginners forum as one that has played guitar a long long time.I've no clue what those are but they do work if anyone wants to take a crack at it/them.
oh and Old Guy this is perfect. pick the damn thing up and play it - my thoughts exactly. it is how I did and do it

Robert
February 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
There are several ways of naming these types of chords. An easier way could be to call it Fmaj7b5/E, if you slide up one fret. They key would be to know what scales/modes you could use to play over each chord you make up.

player
February 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Not being huge on theory I just know it sounds good and does work for that tune.