PDA

View Full Version : Is coffee bad for you?

Robert
February 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I drink A LOT of coffee. Just wondering anyone has any good sources regarding health risks associated with large amounts of Java consumed buy a guy like me. I've been at it since I was 17 maybe.

I have a problem with my fingers and toes, in that they go numb easily in cold weather and I have read coffee may worsen this condition.

My addiction to coffee is very strong.

Bloozcat
February 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I suppose it depends upon which report you believe. There's always some new report popping up that either extols the virtues of coffee (caffeine), or condemns it as the devil's nectar.

I like the, "it's ok in moderation", approach. I've cut my consumption down to two large cups in the morning and that's it for the day.

What was the George Carlin skit?

"The Food and Drug administration announced today that saliva causes cancer. But, only if swallowed in small amounts over long periods of time..."

R_of_G
February 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Everything in moderation. I know it seems to be good for me in he morning :D

bigoldron
February 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I drink A LOT of coffee. Just wondering anyone has any good sources regarding health risks associated with large amounts of Java consumed buy a guy like me. I've been at it since I was 17 maybe.

I have a problem with my fingers and toes, in that they go numb easily in cold weather and I have read coffee may worsen this condition.

My addiction to coffee is very strong.

Yeah, but look at what it'll do to your veins! :rotflmao:

marnold
February 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Most of what I've read (and I'm by no means an expert) indicates that moderate intake of 2-3 cups per day is actually beneficial. Once you start getting beyond that, the negatives start coming in.

Oh and if you think your fingers go cold easily now, try lopping your fingertips off :)

abraxas
February 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
There are two distinct issues here: health risks related to caffeine and health risks related to coffee consumption. Those may be unrelated since coffee also contains a lot of other substances and caffeine can be found in a lot of other beverages; black or green tea, for instance. Sometimes it is the other ingredients in coffee that can cause trouble.

Chronic consumption of large caffeine quantities has been related to lowered insulin sensitivity. That means that, any carbs you consume, have better chances ending as deposited fat tissue... not good. On the other hand, the ergogenic qualities of caffeine are well documented. In fact, caffeine is considered a controlled substance for Olympic events, above certain quantities (measured in blood).

I'd say, as a man of almost 40 (such as myself) you should arrange for a yearly medical checkup. Especially since you are athletically active, and I suppose you want to be in top shape! If something dubious shows up, certainly consult your doctor indicating your high coffee consumption. The problem you mention about hand/feet extremities is indeed known in the bibliography and somewhat linked to coffee consumption, among other things. There is a number of over the counter supplements you can probably take for those issues, as well as prescribed drugs, of course.

Since you mentioned it Robert, is there something in Sweden about coffee? My friend Spiros (who lives in Sweden) also consumes vast quantities of quality coffee, and the same holds true of other Swedes I know! Our own Superswede has something to say about it? :D

Rocket
February 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Honestly, if coffee is bad for me... I don't want to know about it!

Robert
February 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Swedes drink insane amounts of coffee generally.

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I heard running's bad for you though. *ducks*

Algonquin
February 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Running ducks? :confused:

I thought they either swam or flew :poke:

Tone2TheBone
February 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Running ducks? :confused:

I thought they either swam or flew :poke:

For that awful joke you have to send me back the GE-7. :D

Algonquin
February 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
For that awful joke you have to send me back the GE-7. :D
Clearly I'm in need of a coffee...

Blaze
February 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Can not start the day without 2 long expressos ,taste so good , 1 at noon and 1 late in the afternoon..

Side effects : sometimes bad gastric reflux ...Ouch !!

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I heard that one or two cups a day are good for you, but it sounds like you are beyond that and possibly may be chewing beans and passing on the water.

Coffee has always been a strange thing for me. I can be at work and suddenly say "that's it" and won't touch a drop for a year or two. I am currently a coffee drinker, three cups at work, none at night, and never on weekends. It's not by design, I just don't have the urge for it at home. In the 16 years we've lived in this house, I can easily count the number of times I've had coffee on one hand.

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Can not start the day without 2 long expressos ,taste so good , 1 at noon and 1 late in the afternoon..

Side effects : sometimes bad gastric reflux ...Ouch !!

One word: Pepcid

BluesHowler
February 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM
All I know is if I don't have my coffee every morning I can be bad to the people around me.

I drink two 24 oz coffees every day and I also have a cup of black or green tea later in the day.

abraxas
February 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM
One word: Pepcid

I have the same condition some years now... (gastroesophagus reflux). Only Pariet (prescription drug) seems to really help and "cure" (at least for some time), this condition. Any anti-acidic (sp?) medications are just temporary fixes I'm afraid.

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Since you mentioned it Robert, is there something in Sweden about coffee? My friend Spiros (who lives in Sweden) also consumes vast quantities of quality coffee, and the same holds true of other Swedes I know! Our own Superswede has something to say about it? :D

Iirc Sweden is number 2 on the list of coffee drinking countries.
The coffee is usually very strong too.

I drink a lot of coffee (probably too much).

Jimi75
February 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
German coffee drinker here.....we drink huge amounts in the office. We got one of these pad machines and with about 6 persons we dring 120-140 pads per week.

I can't stop drinking coffee.

Robert
February 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Interesting article here -

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/051219/19coffee.htm

Pretty positive to coffee, this one.

Algonquin
February 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm never sure what to believe anymore. What's good for you one year, is deemed bad for you the next... and vice versa.

For me, I stick to two coffee's in the morning usually :AOK:
http://euroross.blogspot.com/Tim%20Hortons%20Big%20Cup.jpg

F_BSurfer
February 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm sure the amount of coffee I drink probably not good I drink 15 to 20 cups a day plus good espresso. But I like it and even smelling it does me good

Tynee
February 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
If caffeine is wrong, I don't want to be right...

Kazz
February 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Robert....some reports say that drinking too much coffee causes bulging veins.....

(I really cannot believe that nobody jumped on that train before me)

bigoldron
February 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Robert....some reports say that drinking too much coffee causes bulging veins.....

(I really cannot believe that nobody jumped on that train before me)

I beat ya to the punch(line) buddy boy! :rotflmao:

Spudman
February 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I love the smell of coffee but not the taste so I don't drink it. Out of curiosity...would coffee and Ritalin be okay together.:messedup:

Childbride
February 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
i used to love coffee. drank it during law school for all-nighters. many late nights at i-hop across from campus.

burned my stomach out. i can't drink it any more. at all.

but i have drunk diet coke since i was 13, and i can tell you true,

i don't have my caffeine in the morning, i am non-functional and not anyone you want to be around. period.

i am a horrible insomniac, tho, so i cut that off early in the afternoon.

peachhead
February 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I enjoy my coffee, but I have a hard time drinking what some other people call coffee. Sooner or later I'm going to splurge and order some Timmy's, even though the shipping costs as much as the coffee does. Go figure.

Rocket
February 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
...but i have drunk diet coke since i was 13...
You should read up on the horrors of Aspertame and please don't ingest another molecule. It's the things they cleverly sidestep that'll kill you.

Remember how long it took for people to finally get the denial beat out of them in regards to cigarette company deceptions.
Same deal!

If you want a cola drink... drink a real cola. If you want zero calories... try water.

Sorry for the short rant... some people I do care about!

Edit: Ask anyone NOT addicted to aspertame how foul a diet soda tastes... only people addicted to it can even tolerate the taste. Also, like cigarettes, they'll fight to protect their source of aspartyl-phenylalanine-1-methyl ester.
Sorry again... it's important.

Kazz
February 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I will bite on Rocket's post.....diet drinks taste.....foul. I drink mainly water at work and will indulge in a glass or 2 of warm tea at home.

just strum
February 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
If you want zero calories... try water.

I'm a 5 to 8 bottles a day person. I use it to break free or at least curtail the Pepsi addiction.

Diet soda :puke:

AndyFender
February 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Robert,

Go to this website and do a search on caffeine. Gary is well known and very well respected.
http://www.garynull.com/

Cottonwood King
February 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm at the point where it doesn't matter if coffee is bad, I'm hooked. I've been working at Starbucks for about a year and a half, and get a free pound of premium coffee every week. Too late to turn back now...

tunghaichuan
February 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I have to agree with Rocket here. Except that all colas/sodas are bad for you. I had a Coca Cola addiction. I was up to 4-6 cans a day for the energy boost. I kicked the habit twice and it really sucked both times. I dropped about ten pounds after giving up cola/soda.

Now I only drink green tea or water. I never did like diet soda, the aspertame gave me bad headaches.

tung

You should read up on the horrors of Aspertame and please don't ingest another molecule. It's the things they cleverly sidestep that'll kill you.

Remember how long it took for people to finally get the denial beat out of them in regards to cigarette company deceptions.
Same deal!

If you want a cola drink... drink a real cola. If you want zero calories... try water.

Sorry for the short rant... some people I do care about!

Edit: Ask anyone NOT addicted to aspertame how foul a diet soda tastes... only people addicted to it can even tolerate the taste. Also, like cigarettes, they'll fight to protect their source of aspartyl-phenylalanine-1-methyl ester.
Sorry again... it's important.

Kazz
February 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Tung.....4-6 is nothing compared to when I was addicted to soft drinks....it was nothing for me to drink 12 Mountain Dews in a day. It was no wonder I developed severe sleep issues.

just strum
February 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Tung.....4-6 is nothing compared to when I was addicted to soft drinks....it was nothing for me to drink 12 Mountain Dews in a day. It was no wonder I developed severe sleep issues.

I worked with a guy that did the same thing and added sticky buns to eat with his Dew. You could watch his hands shake because he was so wired. I think he would sleep 3 to 4 hours a night.

He changed jobs (he had worked at the rat hole I just left) and changed diet. Sleeps like a baby and doesn't have the hand tremors.

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I enjoy my coffee, but I have a hard time drinking what some other people call coffee. Sooner or later I'm going to splurge and order some Timmy's, even though the shipping costs as much as the coffee does. Go figure.

A guy from Georgia drinks Tim Hortons? Can it be true?

TS808
February 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm a big coffee drinker too, and if you have reflux like I do, too much can make for a miserable day.

Coffee does have some benefits when taken in moderation.

However, coffee (caffeine and other stimulants) do tend to constrict the blood vessels as well as lower body temperature. Too much coffee of course contributes to tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, and acute gastrointestinal distress.

Decaf coffee makes no sense to me though...it's kind of like drinking non-alcoholic beer. I need my coffee in the morning for sure.