PDA

View Full Version : Metronome testimonial.

Fretcruiser
February 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I've been working on the main theme to "Groove or Die" by Andy Timmons. I used to be one of those guys who thought metronomes were for nerds.
Anyway, I made a goal to be able to play the main theme at full speed, which is 8th note triplets at 240 bpm. Yesterday, I maxed out at about 144 bpm. I must have played it about 200 times at that speed, and then all of a sudden I hit a wall to where I couldn't even play it at all anymore, even at a slow speed. I guess my mind just got worn out or something and I just couldn't play it anymore, so I just put it down. Today, I came home from work, and I maxed out at 179 bpm, which is 35 bpm more than yesterday. I was totally blown away. I couldn't really believe it. I pushed myself so hard until I hit a wall, and the next day I was able to play it with ease.
I guess it's sort of like working out your body. When you hit the breaking point of doing that last rep to where it feels like you can't even get the bar back up to the rack, but then you know that the work out you just did made you a lot stronger.

After seeing what practicing with a metronome can do, I think I'm becoming addicted to it.

just strum
February 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I have never used one and I'm sure that many here would say it is a mistake not to.

markb
February 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Metronomes are good but even the cheapest drum machine is better. I used to use a Yamaha thing that was basically the rhythm section of a home keyboard. My metronome was last used in my darkroom to time dodges and burns.

Spudman
February 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Metronomes are good but even the cheapest drum machine is better. I used to use a Yamaha thing that was basically the rhythm section of a home keyboard. My metronome was last used in my darkroom to time dodges and burns.

I went this way too. I use the sequencer in a Yamaha QY10. The metronome was driving me nuts but drum beats are so much more...uh, tolerable.

It is cool that when you came back to it you could move further. Proof that hard work pays off.

Fretcruiser
February 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I went this way too. I use the sequencer in a Yamaha QY10. The metronome was driving me nuts but drum beats are so much more...uh, tolerable.

It is cool that when you came back to it you could move further. Proof that hard work pays off.

Yeah, I think I actually heard the clicking in my sleep.