PDA

View Full Version : Next Build: BYOC's New Overdrive 2 Kit...

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
As described in THIS POST (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10153), BYOC has redesigned their very popular Overdrive kit (Tube Screamer TS808 circuit clone), adding a number of new features and options. It even includes an integrated booster section that functions indepedently from the OD circuit and has it's own separate stomp switch. But the feature that grabbed my attention right away was the ability to build it as a MOSFET overdrive. If you're into overdrive pedals, you'll know that MOSFET-based OD's are all the rage, for their natural, tube-like response. The well regarded "boutique" MOSFET OD's regularly command prices in the $200 - $300 range. You've probably heard the names--Hermida Mosferatu, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, Blackstone MOSFET Overdrive, etc.

I already have a modified TS808 clone (IMO, one of the best you'll find--my Zonkin' Yellow Screamer mod!), but building a MOSFET version was something I definitely wanted to try. I managed to get two out of a handful of kits that Keith at BYOC still had available after his distributors ran him out of most of the initial production run. They were delivered this past Monday. One is for a Fretter who wanted one of these as a gift, but the other--that puppy is MINE!! :D

Looking through the build options, it turns out that MOSFETs can be used in 5 different places in this circuit:

The input buffer
The opamp
The clipping stage
The output buffer
The boost stage

I did some looking into the pro's & con's of using MOSFET's in these various parts of the circuit and decided to go with them everywhere but the output buffer--sticking with a bipolar transistor there apparently gives the pedal better drive characteristics. The input buffer and clipping section will have the MOSFETs soldered in. The pedal comes with an opamp socket, so I'll start with the MC33502 dual-MOSFET opamp provided in the kit, though it also includes a JRC4558D and a Burr Brown OPA2134. And I decided to socket the entire booster section of the circuit (it's only 8 component spots), so that I can try both MOSFET and bipolar NPN trannies there, as well as play with the max. boost gain. The MOSFET is supposed to give a very clean, chimey boost, where the bipolar NPN will provide more drive and a slight degree of distortion. So I'll see which I like better, both alone and in combination with the main overdrive stage. Should be fun, mixing & matching.

Anyway, I started the build a couple of nights ago, and have it all together except for the jack and switch wiring, plus adding all the socketed components. Hope to finish it up tonight, 'cuz the rest of the weekend looks pretty well packed with family commitments. Will take some pics to post here, as well as the obligatory sound clip, once I've had a chance to play with it some and explore the sonic possibilities....

tunghaichuan
February 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Cool. I'll be very interested to see and hear the OD2 when you've finished it. I'm lousy with OD pedals, but if this is cool, I could always add another one. :rotflmao:

BTW, have you ever checked out the Ibanez Mostortion? They are fairly rare. They came out in the same casing as the TS-10 Tube Screamer pedals. I got one on a blowout from Musicians Friend a few years ago. It only sounded OK, not as good as a normal Tube Screamer.

tung

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
BTW, have you ever checked out the Ibanez Mostortion? They are fairly rare. They came out in the same casing as the TS-10 Tube Screamer pedals. I got one on a blowout from Musicians Friend a few years ago. It only sounded OK, not as good as a normal Tube Screamer.

Must admit, I've never even heard of that one before. Interesting. How long ago was this that Ibanez sold these?

tunghaichuan
February 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Must admit, I've never even heard of that one before. Interesting. How long ago was this that Ibanez sold these?

I believe these were sold from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I owned one when the first came out, sold it and got another one pretty cheap on a blowout from MF.

Here is some info:

http://filters.muziq.be/model/ibanez/10/mt10

http://files.muziq.be/pics/ibanez_mt10_001.jpg

Schematic is here (http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=589). How close is it to the OD2?

tung

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
BTW, I should mention this: For those of you who might be interested in this kit, either to build it yourself or have someone build one for you (now, who could that be?)--the 2nd production run is supposed to be available for sale on Feb. 9. The first one sold out in 48 hrs. Just sayin'.... ;) :D

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
OK, I finished up the Overdrive 2 build on Fri. evening and had a little bit of time to play around with it yesterday. Very nice. Still recognizably a Tube Screamer-type overdrive, but the MOSFETs give it a nice warm, juicy kind of character. I've been playing around with the max and min gain trimpots inside and have it set up for the same minimum gain as a TS808 but a little more than twice the maximum. You have to be careful with this, because the max gain setting also affects the bass rolloff frequency of the pedal--dial it up too high, and you'll wash out the bottom end of the pedal, even at the highest of the 3 positions on the "Fat" toggle switch.

Here are a couple of photos taken during the build. Clips to follow, when I have the time to do a couple.

Partially populated PCB; note the sockets on the right side, to allow switching the booster section between MOSFET and bipolar transistor configurations:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_partial.jpg

Completed PCB, except for mounting the socketed components:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_done2.jpg

Back of PCB, showing pot, toggle switch and dual LED mounting:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_back.jpg

Finished pedal "gutshot":

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_gutshot2.jpg

Finished but unpainted pedal top:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_unpainted.jpg

tunghaichuan
February 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
As always, excellent work. I'm in awe of your pedal building (and finishing) skills. :master: Have you thought of a name yet?

It looks like there are a few components missing from the PCB, mods to the basic design?

I'm definitely going to have to build this one.

tung

OK, I finished up the Overdrive 2 build on Fri. evening and had a little bit of time to play around with it yesterday. Very nice. Still recognizably a Tube Screamer-type overdrive, but the MOSFETs give it a nice warm, juicy kind of character. I've been playing around with the max and min gain trimpots inside and have it set up for the same minimum gain as a TS808 but a little more than twice the maximum. You have to be careful with this, because the max gain setting also affects the bass rolloff frequency of the pedal--dial it up too high, and you'll wash out the bottom end of the pedal, even at the highest of the 3 positions on the "Fat" toggle switch.

Here are a couple of photos taken during the build. Clips to follow, when I have the time to do a couple.

Partially populated PCB; note the sockets on the right side, to allow switching the booster section between MOSFET and bipolar transistor configurations:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_partial.jpg

Completed PCB, except for mounting the socketed components:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_done2.jpg

Back of PCB, showing pot, toggle switch and dual LED mounting:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_back.jpg

Finished pedal "gutshot":

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_gutshot2.jpg

Finished but unpainted pedal top:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_unpainted.jpg

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Have you thought of a name yet?
Working on that! I definitely want to do some sort of word play on "MOS" or "MOSFET". Open to suggestions. So far, my short list of ideas include:

MOSFETishist Overdrive
Uno MOS-fet Overdrive (my current favorite)
MOS Transit Overdrive
Critical MOS Overdrive

It looks like there are a few components missing from the PCB, mods to the basic design?
Indeed. Depending on which sections of circuit are built to "stock" or MOSFET specs, certain resistors and diodes are used or left out.

tunghaichuan
February 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Working on that! I definitely want to do some sort of word play on "MOS" or "MOSFET". Open to suggestions. So far, my short list of ideas include:

Critical MOS Overdrive

I like the one above.

tung

thearabianmage
February 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
To be fair, it's gonna be pretty hard to beat Mosferatu. . .

But I've got some suggestions:

MOSeltav - It's an OD!

MOStensibly Vintage OD

M.O.D. (i.e. Ministry of Defence - or Mosfet Over Drive)

My 2 cents. . . :D

Great build, by the way! Looks awesome!

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
MOSeltav - It's an OD!

LOL! I like that one!! :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
MOSeltav is good, or I like the Critical MOS one.

tot_Ou_tard
February 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Beautiful work as always Vood.

It makes me wish that I was more into pedals.

Bipolar transistors? That's the first that I've heard of silicon with mental disturbances. Probably makes a great pedal. ;)

What else is there? Schizophrenic op-amps? Pots with OCD?

marnold
February 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Mos Tequila?

tot_Ou_tard
February 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
How about

MOS y Mas

(ie MOS and more)

The boost could be labelled Mas.

Here's "Mas y Mas" by Los Lobos for inspiration:

ITCodQARAGA

MOS y MOS

is also good as you have a lot of MOS.

or

MOS y MOS y MOS y MOS

since there are four places where you've used MOSFETs.

scgmhawk
February 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
There was an interesting article on BYOC in Premier Guitar that I was reading last night --might have been a back issue though, now that I think of it. The company is 3 people working out someone's house and it's really taken off. Pretty neat story.

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM
How about

MOS y MOS

is also good as you have a lot of MOS.

O-o-o-o-o-h, that's very good, Tot! :AOK: I think we have a worthy challenger to Mage's MOSal Tov! (the "correct" spelling)

duhvoodooman
February 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Bipolar transistors? That's the first that I've heard of silicon with mental disturbances. Probably makes a great pedal. ;)

What else is there? Schizophrenic op-amps? Pots with OCD?
Pot's with OCD? How about the whole pedal:

http://www.proguitarshop.com/images/products/202_01.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
February 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Pot's with OCD? How about the whole pedal:

http://www.proguitarshop.com/images/products/202_01.jpg Yeah, I've often wondered about that pedal. All pedals tend to bring out the OCD in us. A little tweak here, a little knob twiddling there.

duhvoodooman
February 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Here's a quick clip I dashed off with the MOSFET Overdrive 2. Forgive the quality of recording, because I mic'ed the speaker cab through my crummy PC onboard sound, and it's very noisy & boomy sounding. I really need to buy a decent USB recording interface....

Recorded using my Strat Plus, bridge-middle pickup setting, into my Egnater Rebel 20 amp head connected to a Drive 2x12 ported cab with Eminence Legend speakers. This seems to be a fairly neutral sounding combination--neither bright nor dark. The Egnater was set up for a clean tone--Master & Gain both around 10:00, tube mix 60% EL84/40% 6V6. Treble 1:30, Mids 12:00, Bass 3:00. Bright and Tight switches both off.

The same sequence is repeated 5 times. Here's what's what:

Clean signal
MOSFET Boost on, Overdrive off
MOSFET Boost on, Overdrive at 9:00 (20%)
Overdrive at 12:00 (50%)
Overdrive at 4:00 (90%)

Again, ignore the recording quality problems and focus on the tone of the guitar.

http://www.box.net/shared/jb4mu5iv49

thearabianmage
February 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Nice tones! I'm especially liking the ones with more OD to them. Very cool! :D

markb
February 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So far so good. One interesting test, since you've got an Egnater Rebel would be to compare the pedal's sound with EL84s and 6v6s separately rather than using a mix. OD pedals can be so sensitive to the amp's tonal character. What d'you say? One demo for the Marshalloids and one for us Fenderheads?

sunvalleylaw
February 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I like those clips! I don't know if I can say for sure, but it sounds hotter overall than my Bad Monkey (at least as compared to how I set it up mostly, with level at noon and all the rest of the settings at 2), and warmer than the overdrive settings in the Rodent. I have played with the rodent settings more, and I am pretty confident that the Rodent has a more transparent, hotter overdrive characteristic overall. Nice! I wonder how the two (this one and the Rodent) would combine as a team, and how you think this one compares to the Monkey overall.

piebaldpython
February 10th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Nice clips, sounds good DVM.
1.....Is the OD-2 as versatile in the sounds it makes as the Bad Monkey?

2.......Did you ever post clips of the Tri-boost? If so, where are they? :D

While comparing the Tri-boost and OD-2 is like comparing to apples and oranges, in your opinion, which pedal gives one more of what you can't get anywhere else?

tot_Ou_tard
February 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Nice range of tones there. All of them sound good.

mrmudcat
February 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Im hoping to have a non mosfet one:master:

tot_Ou_tard
February 10th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Im hoping to have a non mosfet one:master: Does hoping involve sending cash to Vood? ;)

F_BSurfer
February 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Sounds good DVM...........I like the MOSFET

duhvoodooman
February 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Nice clips, sounds good DVM.
1.....Is the OD-2 as versatile in the sounds it makes as the Bad Monkey?

2.......Did you ever post clips of the Tri-boost? If so, where are they? :D

While comparing the Tri-boost and OD-2 is like comparing to apples and oranges, in your opinion, which pedal gives one more of what you can't get anywhere else?
1) Much more. Has a greater range of gain available, two switchable clipping modes as well as a "diode lift" no-clip setting, and three switchable bass EQ settings. And that doesn't even touch on the integrated booster function the OD2 has. No comparison, IMO.

2) Using the Fret.net Search function (DVM:poke:Pie), you'll find that here:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5575

Triboost - OD2 comparison: You're right, it's apples to oranges, or maybe more like apples to pineapples. The Triboost is a great booster pedal--basically BYOC's Dallas Rangemaster germanium treble booster clone, with two other switchable boost modes. These are a bipolar silicon transistor boost based upon the popular Linear Power Boost circuit, and a MOSFET boost. Most people buy this kit for the germanium treble boost, based upon the Rangemaster's legendary reputation--the famous "Beano" boost reputedly used by Clapton on the Mayall Bluesbreakers album. If you want a pure booster pedal, this one is very difficult to beat.

The OD2 is really two pedals in one. First, a very flexible overdrive that can be built to TS specs or as a MOSFET overdrive, or a hybrid of the two. Then you get a completely independent booster circuit with it's own footswitch in the same enclosure. The same bipolar silicon or MOSFET circuits from the Triboost are your two choices for the boost circuit in the OD2, but it's one or the other, not both.

So two very different pedals, both excellent at what they do. Both are quite unique in the combination of features that you get in a single pedal. If you have a hard time choosing, I'd be happy to build you one of each! ;)

duhvoodooman
February 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
So far so good. One interesting test, since you've got an Egnater Rebel would be to compare the pedal's sound with EL84s and 6v6s separately rather than using a mix. OD pedals can be so sensitive to the amp's tonal character. What d'you say? One demo for the Marshalloids and one for us Fenderheads?
Might be a couple of days, but let me see what I can do. Would probably make sense to record the Fendery one with a Strat or Tele, and the Marshallicious one with an LP, don't ya think?

Does hoping involve sending cash to Vood? ;)
Only if you wish to convert hope to actual tone. :D

Since you mention it, if anybody is interested in purchasing an assembled OD2, check out THIS THREAD (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10445)....

mrmudcat
February 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Does hoping involve sending cash to Vood? ;)

Of course it does but ive got it covered:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
February 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM
1) Much more. Has a greater range of gain available, two switchable clipping modes as well as a "diode lift" no-clip setting, and three switchable bass EQ settings. And that doesn't even touch on the integrated booster function the OD2 has. No comparison, IMO.

The OD2 is really two pedals in one. First, a very flexible overdrive that can be built to TS specs or as a MOSFET overdrive, or a hybrid of the two. Then you get a completely independent booster circuit with it's own footswitch in the same enclosure. The same bipolar silicon or MOSFET circuits from the Triboost are your two choices for the boost circuit in the OD2, but it's one or the other, not both.

So two very different pedals, both excellent at what they do. Both are quite unique in the combination of features that you get in a single pedal. If you have a hard time choosing, I'd be happy to build you one of each! ;)

I am confused by the above. I am interested in hearing the TS spec pedal, and knowing how the hybrid works. But basically I am lost in sorting it out at this point. I think a really versatile TS type pedal would be awesome. I like the MOSFET clips, but I am wondering how the TS setup sounds. Not saying you have to build one to show us, but just sayin'. All the sounds are great so far!:AOK:

mrmudcat
February 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM
SVL: Vood is doing mine like that !! He can post clips of its sound as I hope to pay him this weekend,so he can start building!:beer:

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
SVL: Vood is doing mine like that !! He can post clips of its sound as I hope to pay him this weekend,so he can start building!:beer:
Very cool! Congrats! Is it the TS spec or a hybrid?

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I am confused by the above. I am interested in hearing the TS spec pedal, and knowing how the hybrid works. But basically I am lost in sorting it out at this point. I think a really versatile TS type pedal would be awesome. I like the MOSFET clips, but I am wondering how the TS setup sounds. Not saying you have to build one to show us, but just sayin'. All the sounds are great so far!:AOK:
Apparenly I created some confusion with my non-specific language, so let me clear this up.

The BYOC Overdrive 2 is still very much a Tube Screamer TS8080 circuit clone. The basic overdrive circuit is the same one that's in the original BYOC Overdrive, and the one my ZYS pedal is based upon. It also includes a separate booster stage within the same enclosure, fully independent of the overdrive. This booster would behave no differently if it was in a separate pedal enclosure located the next spot down in your pedal chain.

It is still possible to build the overdrive portion of the OD2 as an exact circuit replica of the original BYOC Overdrive, if what you want is the closest thing you can make to a vintage TS808, period. What the OD2 adds is options. Options for how it's built, and options for how you operate it.

One of the options for the build is the MOSFET conversion. All this does is allow you to replace "stock" TS components (mostly bipolar NPN silicon transistors) with a different type of transistor known as a metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor, or MOSFET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET). There are 5 places these can be used. One of them is in the booster stage, so let's just forget about that one and concentrate on the overdrive portion, where the other 4 are located. These are: the input buffer, the output buffer, the clipping stage, and the operational amplifier (opamp). The first three all use a discrete MOSFET known as a BS170. The opamp, however, uses MOSFET technology built into an IC chip. As I understand it, most opamps used in effects pedals use JFET (junction field-effect transistor) or bipolar transistors, and MOSFET opamps are much less commonly found in these applications. Don't ask me why--I have no idea. In any case, MOSFETs have different properties than other transistor types, which are reflected in somewhat different tonal characteristics. Because MOSFETS also have internal diodes, they can be used as signal clippers. In this role, they're known for having a somewhat warmer, smoother sound than the commonly used silicon diodes such as the 1N4148 or 1N4001.

In any case, you can use the MOSFET components in all, some or none of those four places in the OD2 overdrive circuit. Use none, and you're building to "TS specs". Use them in all four places, and you have a full MOSFET overdrive conversion. Use it in some places and not others and it becomes a hybrid. In point of fact, the tonal impact of their use is most apparent in the clipping section, and quite subtle elsewhere. AAMOF, if you listen to certain audio clips posted here recently (hint, hint), it's a comparison between the 3 different opamps provided with the OD2 kit--one MOSFET and two non-MOSFET--that you're hearing. The differences aren't big, to say the least. The impact of the MOSFETs in the two buffers is more subtle yet. There, the primary effect is to raise the impedance, which helps preserve top-end response. But the impedances are already quite high with the stock transistors, so there's little if any real audible impact there.

There are a couple of other choices you can make as far as the OD2 build options go, but the other options with real tonal impact come from features added to the OD2 to let you change the way you run it. These include:

Two switchable clipping choices as well as a "diode lift" setting that passes the signal through unclipped.
Three bass response settings: stock (Normal), more (Full), and more yet (Fat).
Three internal trimpots to adjust minimum gain, maximum gain, and the output level of the second stage of the opamp ("Louder" trimpot). You have to be a little careful about the max gain setting, because it also affects the bass response. And the Louder pot will affect the sensitivity of the pedal's Tone control.

Bottom line: whether you build to stock, MOSFET or in-between (hybrid) specs, the pedal still has a lot of tonal flexibility from these other features. Not quite as much as my ZYS, where you have the max. gain as an external control and more range on the bass control, as well as 3 different clipper choices, but still much, much more flexibility than a TS808 offers. Or most other overdrive pedals, for that matter.

Hope that helps fill in the blanks....

duhvoodooman
February 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Here's the graphics design I've put together for the non-MOSFET version of this pedal:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74499c44da7bdce.gif

tunghaichuan
February 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Sweet! :AOK:

You really have a talent for developing graphics for pedals, DVM. :master:

tung

Here's the graphics design I've put together for the non-full MOSFET version of this pedal:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74499c44da7bdce.gif

duhvoodooman
February 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
You really have a talent for developing graphics for pedals, DVM.
Thanks for the encouragement, Tung!

Here's the MOSFET conversion counterpart, with a tip of the hat to Tot for a great name idea:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74499c4be598c56.gif

tunghaichuan
February 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Again, very cool. :AOK:

tung

Thanks for the encouragement, Tung!

Here's the MOSFET conversion counterpart, with a tip of the hat to Tot for a great name idea:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74499c4be598c56.gif

sunvalleylaw
February 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Those both look very cool DVM!

duhvoodooman
February 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Just thought I'd add a photo of the finished pedal. Thanks again to tOt for a great pedal name....

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7449a6a46b1d1c2.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
February 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hey you went with MOS y Mas...cool!

(Can't stop, can't stop the Los Lobos from playing in my head.)

EARNEST
July 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Are there any major differences between BYOC's version (PCB) and GGG's?
Thanks.

duhvoodooman
July 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Are there any major differences between BYOC's version (PCB) and GGG's?
Yes, very substantial. While both are based directly upon the vintage TS808 design, the BYOC version incorporates a lot of the most popular TS modifications directly into the kit design. The GGG kit is set up to let you add a second clipping mode, but any other mods have to be added by the builder, though instructions for adding some of the more popular ones are available on the GGG site. The BYOC kit is set up for 3 clipping settings, a 3-position toggle for changing the bass EQ, and trimpots on the board for setting min and max gain for the overdrive, as well as the output level of the second stage of the opamp. You can also spend an extra $8 for a "MOSFET Conversion Kit" that allows you to modify 5 sections of the circuit to use MOSFET-based componentry, very popular among some of the higher-priced "boutique" overdrives. But the biggest addition is the incorporation of an independent boost circuit into the pedal, with its own footswitch and level control. And the boost can be built in either bipolar silicon or MOSFET versions.

Don't get me wrong--the GGG version is a high-quality kit. I've built it, and it's quite well done. It just doesn't have nearly the breadth of features & options that the BYOC OD2 kit offers. But it's considerably cheaper, too--$60 vs. $90 for the OD2.

Hope that helps....

EARNEST
July 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, very substantial. While both are based directly upon the vintage TS808 design, the BYOC version incorporates a lot of the most popular TS modifications directly into the kit design. The GGG kit is set up to let you add a second clipping mode, but any other mods have to be added by the builder, though instructions for adding some of the more popular ones are available on the GGG site. The BYOC kit is set up for 3 clipping settings, a 3-position toggle for changing the bass EQ, and trimpots on the board for setting min and max gain for the overdrive, as well as the output level of the second stage of the opamp. You can also spend an extra $8 for a "MOSFET Conversion Kit" that allows you to modify 5 sections of the circuit to use MOSFET-based componentry, very popular among some of the higher-priced "boutique" overdrives. But the biggest addition is the incorporation of an independent boost circuit into the pedal, with its own footswitch and level control. And the boost can be built in either bipolar silicon or MOSFET versions.

Don't get me wrong--the GGG version is a high-quality kit. I've built it, and it's quite well done. It just doesn't have nearly the breadth of features & options that the BYOC OD2 kit offers. But it's considerably cheaper, too--$60 vs. $90 for the OD2.

Hope that helps....
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.
Also, at this point I do not really concentrate a lot on the price. I want to build 100% hand crafted pedal. I've never ever done anything...pissed off at myself. So I want to build the PCB by myself and so on. Thus, either the BYOC kit or GGG would serve as foundation, the base for my potential build. I want to build a very good pedal for my tube amp (bugera 6262).
I did not understand few things.
1. Would I sacrifice that (in)famous TS tone with MOSFET chips and what's up with that "bass" mode?
2. As I understood, GGG and BYOCS have the same clipper modification and "expensive" ala fat mode.
So...I think that should be enough...am I wrong?
I am completely new to this subject. If it is not a problem. Can you highlight, please, the major options that GGG and BYOC have and the major differences, Something like
GGG and BYOC:
1. The same clipper mode
2. The same "fat" mode
BYOC (unique):
1.MOSFET
GGG(unique):
1. blah-blah.
:poke:
thanks

marnold
July 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Earnest, DVM build a pedal for me based on the OD2. I posted clips in this thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11850&page=2) to highlight some of the tonal differences.

EARNEST
July 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Earnest, DVM build a pedal for me based on the OD2. I posted clips in this thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11850&page=2) to highlight some of the tonal differences.
Hm....:thwap: confusing
What do I need to have these things:
1. (main priority) TS to push the tubes to the next level. To boost them ("usual" job of TSers)
2. Nice OD pedal without losing TS tone
Thanks

marnold
July 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM
1. (main priority) TS to push the tubes to the next level. To boost them ("usual" job of TSers)
It'll do both of those things nicely . . . and a lot more. Matter of fact the boost will do #1 without the mid-range hump. As I understand it, if you build it stock, the OD part IS a TS-808 with all the popular mods switchable or controllable via trim pot.

duhvoodooman
July 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks
Don't make this more complicated than it is. Either the BYOC or GGG kits will give you those things, and more. They both start with a true-to-the-original Tube Screamer circuit and then add some more features/tones. But you still have that TS808 tone available whenever you want it--just dial back in to the stock settings. The BYOC kit will give you more additional features, but at a higher price and a somewhat more complicated build. But as long as you have decent soldering skills and can follow directions, you should be able to build either one successfully.

Monkus
July 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM
take the plunge .... I did ...:dude:

EARNEST
July 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks...I was wondering if it is possible to put, let's say, 2 IC chips and a switch for them in order to achieve different tone variations.

marnold
July 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks...I was wondering if it is possible to put, let's say, 2 IC chips and a switch for them in order to achieve different tone variations.
Anything's possible, but from looking at the guts of mine, I'm guessing that you'd have to completely redesign the circuit board.

duhvoodooman
July 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The IC mount is socketed, so you can change the chip whenever you want--takes about a minute.

Different opamps only make a very slight tonal difference. The other switchable features (clipping diodes, bass EQ) make a much more audible impact.

EARNEST
July 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I might re-draw the PCB layout of OD2...is it better if the lines (bus) are wider?

EARNEST
July 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I tried to google the layout of OD2, but couldn't find. If anyone has it, can you share it pls? Thanks

duhvoodooman
July 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Try the BYOC product page:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html

There's a link there to the kit instructions, including photos of the board (front & back) and diagrams of the hardware layout.

EARNEST
July 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Try the BYOC product page:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html

There's a link there to the kit instructions, including photos of the board (front & back) and diagrams of the hardware layout.
I was thinking about that picture too. Thanks. Since I am newbie, I wasnt sure. So, I will try to edit it in photoshop. The thing is that I am not sure about eyelets: the size and certain eyelets' location. Some of them are square shaped. Some of them are too small. At some point I cannot understand the schematic and layout, so cannot check if certain eyelets have contact with the bus. Maybe some1 can take a closeup picture? Thanks

vroomery
July 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
A square eyelet typically is for certain capacitors. The longer lead on the capacitor is the positive end and it goes into the square eyelet. I'm not sure about the small eyelets though. I'm sure dvm will be able to help.

duhvoodooman
July 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
+1 on the square eyelets--positive terminal of polar caps (electrolytics, tantalums) and diodes.

Those really small eyelets are generally "pass-throughs"--a way of connecting a trace on one side of the PCB to one on the other side. Take a look at that same eyelet on both sides of of the board (the instructions show both) and you'll see what I mean.

EARNEST
July 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM
+1 on the square eyelets--positive terminal of polar caps (electrolytics, tantalums) and diodes.

Those really small eyelets are generally "pass-throughs"--a way of connecting a trace on one side of the PCB to one on the other side. Take a look at that same eyelet on both sides of of the board (the instructions show both) and you'll see what I mean.
Oh...shit...I was thinking BYOC was trying to confuse ppl...So most likely I won't be able to make the board on my own...?:thwap:

Like on this pic

duhvoodooman
July 20th, 2009, 01:37 PM
So most likely I won't be able to make the board on my own...?
These are sophisticated and very high quality double-sided PCB's with full through-plated eyelets. Really, I've never come across an effect PCB that can touch them, quality-wise. They'll stand up to a lot of thermal abuse--you can solder/desolder/resolder multiple times with no difficulty.

If you want a PCB layout to be able to make your own TS-style overdrive board from, there are TONS of them posted on the 'net. For example, THIS ONE (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_pcb.pdf) at General Guitar Gadgets. But you won't get all the additional functionality & features of the BYOC design, including the separate onboard boost. But as long as you understand the GGG layout, you can add many of the same mods "off-board" using switches and pots. There's a ton of supporting documentation there on the GGG website.

EARNEST
July 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
These are sophisticated and very high quality double-sided PCB's with full through-plated eyelets. Really, I've never come across an effect PCB that can touch them, quality-wise. They'll stand up to a lot of thermal abuse--you can solder/desolder/resolder multiple times with no difficulty.

If you want a PCB layout to be able to make your own TS-style overdrive board from, there are TONS of them posted on the 'net. For example, THIS ONE (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_pcb.pdf) at General Guitar Gadgets. But you won't get all the additional functionality & features of the BYOC design, including the separate onboard boost. But as long as you understand the GGG layout, you can add many of the same mods "off-board" using switches and pots. There's a ton of supporting documentation there on the GGG website.
what do you mean by full through-plated eyelets?:master: :rolleyes:

P.S. The double-sided PCB of OD2 has the same track pattern on both sides? Or bottom side has 1 track layout, the other side has another layout?
cheers.

tunghaichuan
July 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
what do you mean by full through-plated eyelets?:master: :rolleyes:

The top pad is connected to the bottom pad by a metal tube, the hole is plated through. Some holes on PCBs are not plated through, so you have to solder both pads to ensure electrical conductivity.

tung

duhvoodooman
July 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM
The top pad is connected to the bottom pad by a metal tube, the hole is plated through. Some holes on PCBs are not plated through, so you have to solder both pads to ensure electrical conductivity.

tung
Exactly. Also, through-plated eyelets are very securely anchored in the board and it takes some really doing to "lift" them from the PCB. Single-sided pads are notoriously prone to lifting, particularly when desoldering/resoldering.

EARNEST
July 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
About the clipping section, can I put MOSFETs, germanium diodes and something else there?
Thanks

ColPhorbin
August 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
About the clipping section, can I put MOSFETs, germanium diodes and something else there?
Thanks

The mini toggle switch is an on/off/on thing. so theres always going to be two options and then the "off" part of the switch. I know you can't have LED and MOSFET at the same time, and i guess you have to choose between either germanium or silicon diodes. so basically your options are MOSFET/none/germanium, MOSFET/none/silicon, LED/none/germanium, and LED/none/silicon. Is there another interesting kind of clipping you had in mind?

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks
Yes, absolutely. There are three spots on the PCB to install clipping diodes, though two of them share the same position on the selector toggle switch, so you use one or the other of those. One of these two spots is specifically set up for a pair of MOSFETs, and I find they sound so damned good I just solder those in and dedicate that spot to them permanently.

The other clipping position I like to install eyelets in and then experiment with different diode combos there. You can go with LED's, germaniums, asymmetric silicon arrays, etc.--just go wild trying stuff untill you find one (or two, or three....) that you like.

Here's a photo of a partially completed OD2 with those diode spots socketed. They're the ones to the immediate left of that pair of black BS170 MOSFET's at the middle-right of the board. The entire boost section of this OD2 board is also socketed, so that I could switch between the linear silicon and MOSFET boost versions.

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/OD2/OD2_PCB_fitup.jpg

EARNEST
August 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
thanks, guys. you ve been very helpful. finally i got my breadboard, multimeter and other tools.
time to buy material.
few questions here.
1. can u recommend good ebay sellers where i can purchase FR4 at reasonable price (preferably, based on your own purchase/experience)
2. i live in Malta (EU) and I am planning to order around 100-120 euro worth components for future pedals (OD, chorus, phaser, etc). Most probably, I would buy off http://www.export.farnell.com. IF any Maltese here, maybe we could order more and share the shipping cost?
Malta (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=malta&ie=UTF8&ll=35.969115,14.414063&spn=5.680314,11.634521&t=h&z=7)
3. Eyelets...are they really important?
4. About that clipping section...I was thinking to try and install some cool switch that would allow more than 1/0/1 positions....

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Not me, but I'll bet Tunghaichuan could. But it's likely it'll be here in the US. Maybe some of your EU brethren will speak up.
There a small town called Malta about 20 miles north of here on I-87, but somehow I think you're referring to a different place.... ;)
Eyelets are a convenience, not an essential. A great time-saver if you plan to swap around a bunch of components, and they reduce the wear & tear on a PCB (esp. the traces) from repeated soldering/desoldering operations.
A rotary switch is a good way to go to get lots of different combos off a single switch. But they're bulky, so be sure to get an enclosure with enough room.

EARNEST
August 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Not me, but I'll bet Tunghaichuan could. But it's likely it'll be here in the US. Maybe some of your EU brethren will speak up.
There a small town called Malta about 20 miles north of here on I-87, but somehow I think you're referring to a different place.... ;)
Eyelets are a convenience, not an essential. A great time-saver if you plan to swap around a bunch of components, and they reduce the wear & tear on a PCB (esp. the traces) from repeated soldering/desoldering operations.
A rotary switch is a good way to go to get lots of different combos off a single switch. But they're bulky, so be sure to get an enclosure with enough room.

1. ok, thanks, hopefully he will read this post :D
2. yeah...different place, i edited my previous post
3. Then I would need to get eyelets and some kind of a tool for it :D Hope I get the right size
4. I am planning [for now] to build 100% DIY pedal, so maybe even an enclosure is going to be hand built.
Cheers.:AOK:

P.S.
I tried to google PCB layout of OD2, but could not find it. Therefore, the only option left is to draw it by myself. If someone has it, I'll be grateful if you share it with us [me :D].
Anyways, if I draw it, you think some ppl can help me out to debug it, since I am completely newbie in electronics :(