PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Things Just Work Out...

Bloozcat
February 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I happened to be on The Gear Page when I noticed a thread on Ampeg amps. I got into the discussion, mentioning that I had a V2 4x12 that I was probably going to sell soon (seeing as I didn't see myself playing in any arenas any time soon ;) ). Well, within 5 minutes I received a PM from an interested buyer. I relayed the information about the amp to him and what I wanted for the amp. Then I mentioned that the greatest difficulty with selling an amp like the V2 was it's size and that freight shipping was about the only viable option, which is expensive - especially from Florida to L.A. California where he lives.

Well, back came the reply: Yes, the asking price was fair, and shipping would not be a problem because.....he was in the shipping business and regularly had trucks delivering in Florida. He knew right where I lived. I don't know what to call it...serendipity, kismet...? (how about simply, thank you Lord!)

So, here's a guy who's been looking for a V2 for a while, here's me who's been wanting to sell my V2 for a while, and almost magically, the only obstacle to the sale is gone...poof!

Looks like we'll work out a time next week for the pick-up.

Looks like I'm about to take a major step towards that JTM45 I said I wanted to get...:AOK:

Kazz
February 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Please tell us that he is paying via paypal and not a money order. Sorry to be leary.

Spudman
February 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
He might even include some extra $ for you to make sure that nobody else gets the cab. Probably all you'll have to do is cash his check for $5,000 and keep and extra $200 for yourself and then after the cab is paid for he'll take the balance back. Maybe?:confused: It that a Nigerian trucking firm by any chance? :D

Bloozcat
February 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Oh, it's better than that. He's sending cash with the driver...

Cash in, amp out...business as it should be...:D

duhvoodooman
February 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Cash is good!

Seriously, though, Kazz raises a good point. When I had that Nashville Tele up for sale on Craigslist, I got real sick of responses from scammers who "had to pay by certified money order" because they were "out of the country on an important business trip", but would "arrange to have the item picked up". I'll bet I got 5 or 6 of those in a week.... :thwap: :rolleyes:

Spudman
February 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Cash is good. May you have many more easy transactions.:dude:

TS808
February 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Cash is good!

Seriously, though, Kazz raises a good point. When I had that Nashville Tele up for sale on Craigslist, I got real sick of responses from scammers who "had to pay by certified money order" because they were "out of the country on an important business trip", but would "arrange to have the item picked up". I'll bet I got 5 or 6 of those in a week.... :thwap: :rolleyes:

Yes. I sold some of my amps and guitars on Craigslist and had the same kind of offers. Beware of the ones too that offer cashiers checks.

This transaction though sounds pretty safe..pick up plus cash.

Congrats on the sale!!

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Beware of the ones too that offer cashiers checks.

Hmmmmmm......not to be dumb here....but.....what's wrong with a cashier's check from a bank???? :D What am I missing? :confused:

tunghaichuan
February 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hmmmmmm......not to be dumb here....but.....what's wrong with a cashier's check from a bank???? :D What am I missing? :confused:

They're usually counterfeit. It looks legit and the bank accepts it when you deposit it. You send out the gear, and a few weeks later the bank removes the funds from your account when the check comes back as a fake. You lose the money and your gear.

tung

Algonquin
February 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Congrats on moving the unused gear BC, and a great bit of info from the rest of you Fretters on what to avoid when selling! Thanks :AOK:

Bloozcat
February 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ampeg away....................:beer:

It is helpful to have a warehouse at your disposal when shipping something. The head was packed up so tight I think it could have survived a two story drop. We padded the speaker cabinet, shrink wrapped it, banded it to a pallet and loaded it on the semi with a forklift. The driver was in and out in five minutes.

The amp that I always thought would be the most difficult to sell due to it's size, turned out to be one of the easiest sales ever. Go figure.....:AOK: