PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest gig you've ever had?

Robert
November 2nd, 2005, 09:09 AM
I played in a shoe store last week. Not weird maybe, but unusual.

I also played a gig in a biker bar, where a heavily intoxicated biker chick fell over the stage and my mike stand, which in turn fell over and made a big dent in my guitar neck (it was my crappiest guitar). She wouldn't move either. There I was, trapped by the mic stand slammed into my guitar, and nowhere to move to. I had to wait until she got the urge to get up.

Nelskie
November 3rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
Robert - Man, do I have one for you! My buddy called me the other nite, and told me he'd played a set at a judo demonstration!! Yeah, while karate guys and gals were flinging each other over their backs, Dan was entertaining the dojo with his tasty electro-acoustic rendition of STP's "Highway Love Song"!! Now that's just downright WEIRD!! :eek:

Your shoe store gig does, however, come in a close second!! BTW - what did you have on your setlist??

Robert
November 3rd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Setlist?
- Blue Suede Shoes
- These Boots Were Made For Walking
- I'm Walking By Myself
- Walk Like An Egyptian
.... haha, just kidding! :]

Actually, it was a combined Shoe/Clothing store. See the attached pics!
Hmm, can't seem to attach pics! Will fix tomorrow!

Nelskie
November 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM
A shoe / clothing store you say . . . well, that makes a big difference in the overall weird / strange categorical rating system. Ha ha ha! As a ZZ Top fan, I'm a little surprised that your setlist didn't include "Sharp Dressed Man", since it was also a clothing store!!!! :D

Hey, don't mind me - - it's cool that you're out and about, showcasing your talent - as you should be. Keep on rockin'!!

Justaguyin_nc
November 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Wow look at Robert up there... Crate speakers behind him and an Acoustic in his hands... Robert can you explain the setup you used there for a small portable gig either here or a new thread? and did you have blue suede shoes on?

marnold
November 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I haven't had many "gigs" per se. Back when I was in college I played bass in a bluegrass band. Even though my heart was in 80s metal, the rest of the guys were my friends and we had fun. Someone got the bright idea to use us for a recruitment trip. Let's just say that high school seniors weren't really interested in "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." I got a few laughs for just hamming it up. Bluegrass bass isn't the most complicated thing in the world so I was free to wander and be weird.

Robert
November 8th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Justa, it was a little PA that Myra won in a competition at Ceili's pub in Edmonton, can't remember what model it is. It's really good for small gigs, very nice and clear sound. I played Myra's acoustic on the first set, before switching to my '51 + AD50VT. No blue suede shoes this time! It was kinda boring to play in front of people walking around shopping.

t_ross33
June 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
a barn dance. in a fully functioning barn. they moved the horses out and swept the floor just before we set up. my gear smelled like horse crap for months!!!

T

t_ross33
June 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
oh, and any small town bar in Northern Saskatchewan. I could write a book :rolleyes:

Seems every gig we played this winter was in the middle of a wicked storm. Took an hour and a half to drive out to one just outside of town, about 15 minutes away. Highways closed, vehicles in the ditch all over, TONS of snow, drifting and blowing. Over half the ticket holders didn't even bother to brave the elements, but the BAND MADE IT! We rocked the house for those fearless few (and probably drank enough for the organizers to break even on the bar :D ).

The things we do for love.

T