PDA

View Full Version : Lead amp?

Cranium
July 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know a really good amp for leads, but not too expensive, under 600$ maybe? My current amp sounds really bad even if I try to get a lead sound its not too good, it should probably be something that can really distort well but not be too dirty, any suggestions? :R

Spudman
July 14th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Oh my gosh did you ever come to the right place.

There are plenty of Vox users here and they sound great for a hybrid amp (tube and solid state, right?).
Otherwise depending on your gigging or not situation the Peavey Classic series 30 or 50 watt amps are full of great tube tone and still way within your price range.
Crate even makes a Vintage Club series 50 and 60 watt all tube amp within your price range too. Plenty of nice used ones to be found.
There are some really good Fender tube amps as well and hybrids still in your price range.

I'm sure the other fretters will chime in soon. So tell us more what your requirements are? Are you playing with a loud band? Bedroom rehearsing? Home recording?

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Yea its somewhat a home thing, so I was thinking something not too big, I saw the Peavey classic 30 I never tried it thought but I think I will now, I think they are remaking them now, is the delta blues any similar to it? I don't know about Fenders, never tried them, people tell me they are very nice clean but Im not really into the clean tone thing, I like soft drive for blues sounds but I got tired of the soft sounds so I want an amp with a very defined lead sound.

Also are you into single coils by any chance? I don't have a Fender type guitar, but I want one =D so feel free to fill me in on those a little if your experienced with em.

I already looked into the Vox ad30vt, I like it but complicated amps with a ton of options really confuse me lol.

SuperSwede
July 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Try a couple of Marshall amps if you want good distorted lead sounds. I think a used valvestate would be a good amp for you ( and they are very easy to use as well ).

Single coil guitars? Check out the threads about the budget guitar with a amazing sound, the Squier ยด51.

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM
I own a Marshall currently, I dislike the lead sound on it, although its just a solid state, but Marshall tube amps are expensive. Also used a squier 51' at the store months ago when I first saw it on the Squier site, didn't like it much, it was ok but I much prefer 3 single coil guitars, probably a MIM strat is what Im gonna get. Probably gonna go for the Vox AD30VT.

Spudman
July 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
The Peavey Classic 30 and the Delta are almost the same thing. This amp with a good distortion pedal would keep you happy for decades.

The Peavey Valve King has more balls and probably better amp channel distortion. I've seen these used for $350ish. It's a bit loud for just home use.

Marshall tube amps are expensive. You are right, but I still have mine from 1977 and will probably pass it on to my inheritors.

If you aren't after a gigging amp check out the Epiphone Valve Jr. Class A amp. Low wattage so you can turn it up at home and get some good tones.

Do you live anywhere that you can go try a bunch of different amps?
A little patience and homework before your purchase can go a long way towards long term enjoyment.

Bloozcat
July 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM
The Crate Vintage Club 30 is my favorite, and the Peavey Classic 30 is an even more popular choice. Try to find a good used one and save the extra money for a better speaker(s) and tubes. They're great bang for the buck amps.

duhvoodooman
July 14th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I have a Peavey Delta Blues and a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT and love 'em both. The Delta Blues is a great value for an all-tube amp at $350 or so for used examples in good condition, but if you want a broad range of lead tones, the $240 AD30VT is tough to beat. The various amp emulations it offers are really amazingly good, ranging from classic Fender tones to chimey Vox sounds to vintage Marshall crunch to modern high-distortion screamers like Mesa Boogie and Soldano. If you can't find the right lead tone in there somewhere, you must not be looking very hard! And if 30W isn't enough power, you can always move up to the AD50VT for $360 or even the 100W model with two 12" speakers for $550. :DR

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys I think Im gonna go with the AD30VT or the classic 30, I think they should have those at Sam Ash, its always good to try em out first. :R

Tim
July 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I got the AD30VT and it is good for home type jamming. On stage it will not be enough to cut through the rest of the band. I have tried it and I was surprised that it could not keep up. If you mic it, it will be sufficient. Presently I am thinking of up grading to a small all tube amp.

So now I will ask if anybody can recommend a small tube amp for a small stage act. I am thinking of a 25-30 watt amp. Somewhere around 30 lbs. I have a bad back and cannot carry the heavier amps.

tremoloman
July 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Cranium,

If you look you should be able to find a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville for under $600. My 4x10 Hot Rod Deluxe is a killer amp that has more volume than you will know what to do with, :)

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yea but volume is not what Im looking for, Im more for the tone. Maybe I should go to the store and try the hot rod deluxe, I heard some good things about it, does it distort nicely?

Robert
July 14th, 2006, 07:45 PM
The distortion on the Hot Rod Deluxe sux, I must say. The Peavey Classic is better in my opinion.

You can find a used Hellhound on eBay for around $400. Great little amp - 40/60 watts of pure tube tone.

I think if you want an amp that do good clean sounds, as well as high saturated gain tones, the Vox ADxxVT amps is the way to go.

I'd stay as far away as possible from a Marshall Valvestate. I cannot stand those amps.

The Traynor YCV Blue is another cool amp. 50 watts, 2 channels and Fender tones as well as lotsa gain Marshall tones can be had. Plus, they relatively cheap amps for a 2 channel switchable tube amp with reverb.

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yea I heard some of your clips, most of them sounds nice so Im gonna check the Hellhound, but Im probably gonna go with the AD30VT or peavey classic, don't know yet, your are so knowledgeble on amps Robert, lol.

Spudman
July 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
If you run the Hot Rod clean and use a good distortion pedal then the battle is won.
But Robert is right the distortion sucks in the HRD. It's not that great on the Classic 30 either at gig volume in my opinion. If you want dirt get a really good pedal and a good clean tube amp to go with it. Look up the Radial Tonebone thread here on thefret.net.

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well I use a tube screamer, but it doesn't really give me the metalish type tone, maybe I should get a more dirty pedal too, I was actualy thinking of looking for the old Chandler Tube pedal, those are cool with tube amps.

Nelskie
July 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned the new Peavey Valve King. Like its Classic 30 cousin, it's all-tube powered, loud as hell, and ready for action. The Class A/AB blending feature will cover the gambut of sounds, some of which I think are very usable for metal. And if it's not "metal" enough, Digitech's Scott Ian (Anthrax) endorsed Black 13 pedal will certainly blast your metal tone into the outer limits. This pedal has also been certified as effective in peeling paint off walls, as well as to cause stampeding amongst large, herbivorious animals. If I were looking for an amp to use for lead, and metal was my game, that's the rig I'd be using. That, along with a steady supply of ear-plugs! ;)

Cranium
July 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
"Loud as hell" is the reason why I don't want a ValveKing, otherwise its a real nice amp.

Nelskie
July 15th, 2006, 10:05 AM
"Loud as hell" is the reason why I don't want a ValveKing, otherwise its a real nice amp.
Back in my metal glory days ('83 - '89), "loud as hell" and "metal" were one and the same. We practiced it that way. We played it live that way. And I'm hoping I haven't been out of circulation so long as to find out that loudness is no longer THE calling card for metal music? :eek: Puuuhhllleeezzzee - tell me it ain't so!

Cranium
July 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Loud is good, but not for home use, unless you have a soundproof room or a garage or something, lol.

oldguy
July 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Cranium,
If you live near a Traynor dealer, you might try a ycv-20. 15w all tube, clean and gain channels, plus a boost sw. that adds some "oomph" to your lead, a 12" celestion speaker, comes w/ footswitch to change channels and turn the boost on. They go for aroung $560 new, less on the 'bay used. A new set of JJ's from Bob @ Eurotubes will definitely improve this amp, and it weighs about 35 lbs. As Robert said, the 50 watt blue is a great amp too, but about $200 more. Hope this helps. :D
Glenn

SuperSwede
July 16th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I'd stay as far away as possible from a Marshall Valvestate. I cannot stand those amps.

I think that they had a rather good clean tone, and the distorsion is rather good for contemporary music (not a blues deluxe)
Ah well... just my 2 pesetas

Cranium
July 16th, 2006, 02:50 AM
The thing about tube amps is that you have to put the volume up to at least 5 or 6 to drive the tubes otherwise its not gonna sound as good as it should, so If I got a powerful tube amp I wouldn't be able to use it to its full.

Probably gonna get the AD30VT or a small tube amp, I saw a nice little Crate, 15 watt class A tube amp very little features exept EQ and I think reverb, but Im not buying an amp for effects otherwise I would buy a Line 6 amp. Thanks for all the suggestions guys :DR

Guitar-Chris
July 16th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Probably gonna get the AD30VT or a small tube amp, I saw a nice little Crate, 15 watt class A tube amp very little features exept EQ and I think reverb, but Im not buying an amp for effects otherwise I would buy a Line 6 amp. Thanks for all the suggestions guys :DR

Last suggestion: Think of buying the AD50VT. So you can use it on stage as well, and in my opinion, the speaker is much better. You can reduce power stepless fom 1 to 50 Watts, so there will be no problem at home. And you can get the sound of an all cranked up amp by, let's say, 5 Watt.