PDA

View Full Version : Art and Lutherie AMI

Algonquin
February 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Just a quick and dirty clip of a little acoustic I picked up earlier this week. Mic'd with an SM57 into Gearbox and recorded with Audacity. The volume had to be boosted which made it a bit grainy, but what can you do.
http://www.box.net/shared/i0zq364aer
http://www.musicarius.com/catalog/images/25602.jpg
Cheers :beer:
David

Spudman
February 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
That guitar sounds really nice. Smooth playing and great feel.:AOK: I'm telling Dick Clark that I can dance to it.:)

peachhead
February 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Very nice :bravo:

Do you recommend your Gearbox over a PocketPod or Toneport? I've been looking at all 3 and right now the Ux1 is half the price of this one, and I've seen the pocketpod for $115.

ted s
February 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Nice playing and nice score David.

Mucho woodfactor

johnboymartin
February 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Howdy Algonquin!

Really nice fuzzy wood sound! Art and Lutherie is a great inexpensive guitar, maybe the best sounding for the money. The cedar top smells great, and sounds even better.

These are virtually a Seagull guitar, same company, same Canadian selectivity about properly treated wood. Great Playing!

Johnboy

evenkeel
February 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Very nice.

Wonderful low end tone, nice surprise from the 00/000 size. Beautiful tone all around. Natural, woody sound.

Well done. :bravo: :pancake:

warren0728
February 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
really excellent tone and playin' david! :beer: :pancake:

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Very nice indeed 'Gonq.

Is that the cedar top?

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/ami.htm

FrankAxtell
February 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
That's a great sounding little guitar...playing was very cool also.

helliott
February 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Great sound, David. And it is a very nice guitar. I got my son one, nearly identical to the one pictured here. Sounds just as good as my much more expensive Yamaha. Love to hear more of your playing, maybe some multi-tracking? Bring it on!

tjcurtin1
February 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Sweet sound and playing, David. She looks like the 00/000 cuz to my A&L dread.

Algonquin
February 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the kind replies folks. As some have mentioned, this is a 3/4 size guitar that is very suitable for kids to play. They are readily available for well under $300 new. All but one of the models in the AMI lineup have a solid cedar or spruce top which is awesome in this price range. I saw this used one for sale locally and read a few good reports on it and decided to go for it. It was a bit of a leap of faith when I bought it as the strings were extremely old and the action was quite high. The guitar didn't have a lot of wear, but is showing a few signs of neglect. For the price I didn't think it was a deal breaker, so I paid my money and was off to the local guitar shop for new strings and a replacement Tusq saddle. I've almost got the saddle sanded down to where I want it, and the new strings brought new life to a nice little instrument.

Yes, I wanted it for me... but I'm hoping my daughter takes an interest in it and learns a few chords. My son who is almost 4 is always showing an interest when I play and asks if he can strum along. It may well be that this becomes his first guitar! I believe this is the spruce top model, but I'm not 100% sure.

Peachhead, my apologies... I was plugged into my Toneport using the supplied Gearbox software for the Mic setting. I think a PocketPod would be a great way to go as well, and I'd like to get one myself for the portability factor.

M29
February 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Sweet sound David and nice playing very nice indeed:AOK:

M

markb
February 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I nearly bought one of those when I got my Larrivee parlour. It was very close and the A&Ls were half the price but when they got the third Larry out of the window it blew away everything else. If it hadn't been there I'd have come home with an Ami.

street music
February 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
David, That was very nice, my son has the same guitar and yes A&L are another great product from GODIN. I have heard about 12 different acoustic in the Art & Luthrie brand and all have been great sounding guitars.