PDA

View Full Version : Any info for Lace Sensor Golds?

TS808
February 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I had a partscaster that I built and sold that I put Lace Sensor Golds on. I really liked the sound of those pups, and I'm considering putting them on my American Strats. If I remember correctly, they weren't as bright and sustained a bit better than normal single coils.

Anyone else have experience with these?

Spudman
February 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have a neck and middle and you're right they do have a lot less pull on the strings so there is better sustain and a whole different feel attacking the strings as well. I found and have heard that one of the best pot values to run them with is 500k ohms on the volume and 1 meg for the tones.

tunghaichuan
February 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I had a set in a parts caster a few years ago. I personally didn't like the tone, but it could have been due to the guitar or possibly the 250k pots. The set I had sounded kind of sterile and lifeless in the guitar I had.

Spudman is right, those pickups are very sensitive to pot values. I had a set of the Lace Transensors which sounded terrible to me. I later found out that it is a must to have 500k pots when using them. For some reason, 250k pots really kill the tone in those particular PUs. Since both pickups are designed by the same company, it makes sense to me now.

tung

markb
February 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
If you want noise free strat tones, consider Bill Lawrence pickups. The Fender SCNs are a Lawrence design too and get a bit more single coil zing than the Laces.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_NF_Singles.html

marnold
February 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Lace Hot Golds were the second choice for my Floyd. Mark Mitchell (http://marksmitchell.home.mindspring.com/) (aka SMark on the Fender Discussion Page) is a big champion of them. He's got a bunch of clips on his site.

Robert
February 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I liked them when I had them, but they didn't sound "vintage" enough for my current taste.

Spudman
February 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I just cranked my Strat with Lace golds and ya I like them. Not exactly like a vintage pickup but good nonetheless.

TS808
February 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I liked them when I had them, but they didn't sound "vintage" enough for my current taste.

That's actually what I like about them...they tend to sustain a bit better than standard single coils, and have a nice warmth to them.

sumitomo
March 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I am going to try that pot change,I have mine apart now (a little clean up)they come with 250's in the vol and first tone pot,but the bottom tone pot (closest to the plug in)is a double.This is on a 90's strat plus.The little orange caps are .022k,should those be changed to a different level also? Sumi:D

valriver 1940
May 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
i have been using a fender sensor gold in the neck postion in my telecaster for years. i like it for playing jazz and blues. :AOK: :AOK:

Jimi75
May 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I liked them a lot in my younger guitar player days. I used to play in a top 40 cover band and the other guitarist who was 20 years older than me had this Eric Clapton Sig with Lace Sensors. He lend me that guitar for the rehearsals and gigs and the pus were really great. You know my taste changed when I became a victom of the vintage hysteria...I went vintage and stood vintage.