PDA

View Full Version : Are diet drinks bad for you?

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Aspartame, saccharin, splenda, etc. Do you think they are dangerous to your health?

I found this article:

A huge U.S. study of middle-aged adults has found that drinking more than one soft drink a day — even a sugar-free diet brand — may be associated with an elevated risk for metabolic syndrome, a cluster of factors that significantly boosts the chance of having a heart attack or stroke and developing diabetes.

"We found that one or more sodas per day increases your risk of new-onset metabolic syndrome by about 45 per cent, and it did not seem to matter if it was regular or diet," Dr. Ramachandran Vasan, senior investigator for the Framingham Heart Study, said Monday from Boston.

ted s
February 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yes, they are. Dig deep, that is bad $hit.

Algonquin
February 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I was reading an article recently that linked 'diet' soft drinks to obesity. Sounds strange right... how can something with little or no calories cause you to gain weight. Apparently there is a similar effect like when folks try and diet. Many times when people limit their caloric intake to reduce weight, the body senses this and goes into fat storing mode to stave off starvation.

Similarly when your taste buds get the sugary taste of a diet softdrink, and the body doesn't get the actual calories... it goes into the same type of metabolism (survival mode)

Spudman
February 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
There is enough research out there that suggests they are indeed bad. I never liked the taste of them so I allow my body to keep me safe. If it doesn't taste good - don't eat it. Some folks though don't notice the taste being a problem.

I also think that if they really worked then we'd see more people being less obese after long term consumption but that is not the case.

thearabianmage
February 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Yep. . . Good thing I don't drink diet beverages. . . Bad times about the copious amounts of Dr Pepper I drink.

tunghaichuan
February 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Diet colas contain phosphoric acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid), which is the same ingredient used in naval jelly rust remover. Phosphoric acid leeches minerals from bones so not only does cola not have any nutritional value, it also makes food less nutritious when taken with a meal. Bad stuff, avoid at all costs.

tung

oldguy
February 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I suggest taking the time to watch the video Rocket put a link to in another thread. Well worth watching, imo. Some (not-so-nice) surprises there, in more ways than one. Should answer the question asked here, also.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=121069#post121069

just strum
February 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I also think that if they really worked then we'd see more people being less obese after long term consumption but that is not the case.

Even if they worked, it is offset by "Yes, I will have two Big Mac's, large fry, and diet coke"

Dead man walking (not for long).

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Drink beer and you will avoid the risk of artificial sweeteners.

Geraint Jones
February 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I remember a friend of mine explaining that when diet cola first came on the scene, to get the same consistency as full fat coke they had to put in something similar to wall paper paste . Mmmm that may explain all those hangovers it was`nt the JD after all .

Spudman
February 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Bad times about the copious amounts of Dr Pepper I drink.

Nonsense. That's nectar of the Gods.:AOK:

Suhnton
February 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Drink beer and you will avoid the risk of artificial sweeteners.

Ding ding, correct answer above!

I haven't had a diet drink in years, with all the talk of aspartame poisoning and lawsuits against Monsanto (the company that produces the most of it). Even if it turns out that it isn't BAD for you, it's not gonna be GOOD for you either. I drink green tea or Chinese tea by the gallon (no hippie).

Spudman
February 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I suggest taking the time to watch the video Rocket put a link to in another thread. Well worth watching, imo. Some (not-so-nice) surprises there, in more ways than one. Should answer the question asked here, also.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=121069#post121069

Oh my God! I watched this and I am astounded by what has been allowed to be put into our food. I've theorized this for some time but to hear these researchers confirm it outrages me.

Sweet Misery (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-566922170441334340&ei=kKKNScuWLYLorgKMyNnHCw&q=sweet+misery)

Rocket
February 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Gotta keep the worker-bees fat, content, & dependent on a substance only the masters class can provide. Easier to control the cattle that way!

Sort of like getting more & more millions dumbed-down with antidepressants & other mind-mushing pharms.
Don't let em kid you... they want you fat & stupid enough not to figure it out. Your gov is now willing to help you pay for the brain-gravy... whatever it takes.

Dan't take anyone's word for it... sit back and really think about how things work.

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Why is it allowed to be sold to humans, if it's so bad then?

ted s
February 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
To delve into that question would probably break a forum rule or 3.

Tone2TheBone
February 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Pretty soon they're gonna come out with a report saying green tea is bad for you....

tunghaichuan
February 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
It's not just diet drinks. It's also hydrogenated vegetable oil which is put in everything, refined, processed corn syrup and white sugar, and processed white flour. All of those are poison and are causing many health problems.

I went on a radical diet about 6 months ago for health reasons: no sugar, no cereal grains, no sugar, no starches, no processed foods of any kind. I haven't eaten out since then. I make a lot of my own food from scratch. I make my own lactose-free yogurt. I drink lots of green tea.

I could barely function 6 months ago. My mental focus was nil, I felt terrible most of the time, I was irritable, egdey and just plain nasty to be around. I hadn't built an amp in 2 or 3 years. My wife and I were going to get a divorce.

Since then, I've lost about 25lbs., my mental focus is much sharper, I think more clearly and I'm generally more pleasant to be around.

I was putting poison into my body and it was killing me, very slowly, but killing me nonetheless.

tung

Gotta keep the worker-bees fat, content, & dependent on a substance only the masters class can provide. Easier to control the cattle that way!

Sort of like getting more & more millions dumbed-down with antidepressants & other mind-mushing pharms.
Don't let em kid you... they want you fat & stupid enough not to figure it out. Your gov is now willing to help you pay for the brain-gravy... whatever it takes.

Dan't take anyone's word for it... sit back and really think about how things work.

peachhead
February 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I've cut waaaaaaaay back on the amount of beer I drink; I hate diet drinks, but I love Dr. Pepper (although I don't drink it that often) and I can't live without sweet tea. I try to drink enough water to offset it but I'm sure it's not enough.
I know regular DP and Coke (and sweet tea for that matter) are bad enough, I can only imagine the crap they put in Diet coke- and it doesn't even taste good. Bleeeech.

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM
First, most of your sodas have high fructose corn syrup in them. That acts like a preservative and at the same time, the HFCS is what allows you to drink and drink and drink soda. If the soda was "pure", it wouldn't take much to sate you.
Second, our foods in the good ole USA are loaded with preservatives and that my friends, makes it tres' difficult for our bodies to digest and breakdown the food we eat.
When we were in Germany for Baby Cobra's ketamine coma, we had food that by and large was preservative free. Vive' la differance!! It tasted better and my innards worked fabulously. I ate whatever I wanted in Germany and I came home 5 pounds lighter. :D

SuperSwede
February 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM

Same thing with cigarettes...

Kazz
February 8th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Don't forget the amount of sodium in diet drinks.....which makes you retain lots of water.

Robert
February 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Same thing with cigarettes...

At least you have to be 18 in many countries in order to buy cigarettes, and the health risks are clearly stated.

Spudman
February 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Because if people are kept healthy then they have more time for other activities such as acheivement and that threatens the upper echelon. Also, when people are kept sick then you can create multi billion dollar industries such as: insurance, pharmaceudical, HMO, physicians, schools, hospice, opthmalogical, etc.

tunghaichuan
February 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Because if people are kept healthy then they have more time for other activities such as acheivement and that threatens the upper echelon. Also, when people are kept sick then you can create multi billion dollar industries such as: insurance, pharmaceudical, HMO, physicians, schools, hospice, opthmalogical, etc.

Bingo.

Many chronic diseases could be eliminated before they started, but then how would doctors be able to afford yachts, ski lodges in Aspen, etc? :flamemad:

tung

ted s
February 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
but but but, big business and govts. are our friends, they love us and want nothing but the best for us.... :reallymad:

Tone2TheBone
February 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Bingo. Clearly Spud is the winner in this thread. He got it right on the money.

Spudman
February 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Bingo. Clearly Spud is the winner in this thread. He got it right on the money.

Isn't this whole thing just disgusting? My blood gets to boiling over this. It's insane that people would do this to other people for any reason. I can only hope that Karma is effective in a quick fashion.

In the meantime.....be aware and intelligent.
j0pm0hNbYqo

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
But what about Diet Coke Plus!? After all, it has vitamins. :thwap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke_Plus

Spudman
February 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
But what about Diet Coke Plus!? After all, it has vitamins. :thwap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke_Plus

Aspartame, aspartame, aspartame. I'll never touch a product with that in it ever again. I knew there was a reason I didn't like it.

Rocket
February 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Aspartyl-phenylalanine-1-methyl ester, acesulfame potassium, magnesium sulfate...

YUM! Where do I get in line for all that health?

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Aspartame, aspartame, aspartame. I'll never touch a product with that in it ever again. I knew there was a reason I didn't like it.

Ditto. And I cannot handle the massive amounts of refined sugar in traditional soda drinks, except on rare occasions, maybe involving a root beer float. Therefore, the seltzer water machine with a splash of fruit juice in it works great if I need a little sweet in my drink.

Bloozcat
February 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Don't even get me started on asapertame...

It's a neurotoxin, plain and simple. Don't take my word for it, do a search on aspertame and read the whole sorid story about how it got approved by FDA. If you're not scared sh**less after reading the whole story and never touch the stuff again, you're probably a fatalist who just doesn't care. It's "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" at it's finest.

I started having a heart erythmia about 5-years ago that I just couldn't explain. I went through the whole heart stress test that the doctor didn't even bother to completely finish because as he said it, my heart got stronger when exposed to stress, not weaker. That wasn't a surprise to me. The doctor said that it's "normal" that a percentage of the population have this condition, and that it wasn't considered a health problem. Well, it wasn't "normal" for me. If my heart was strong, I wanted to know what was causing the erythmia.

I had often wondered about Aspartame and it's potential health risks, so I started to do some research. Without going into all the volumes of health related problems that Aspartame is suspected of contributing to, let me just tell you what I did. I quit Aspertame cold turkey. No more diet sodas, nothing with any Aspertame in it at all. It took about three months for my body to rid itself of the remnants of the substance, but after that time, the erythmia stopped...completely. I never had a problem until I started to injest Aspartame, and I haven't had a problem since I rid my body of the toxin. Anecdotal evidence? Perhaps, but I didn't need a clinical study to prove what Aspartame did to me. Simple cause and effect was sufficient.

Remember when there was no clinical diagnosis for Cronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia? Look back in history to when these "diseases" first appeared in numbers in society. Then look at when Aspartame was approved for human consumption. Coincidence? I think not...

Tynee
February 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Not to sound absurd, but do those of you who maintain that "they" are trying to keep us unhealthy and uninformed also believe that "the government" flew the planes into the the WTC? How about that the contrails that you can observe in the sky behind a jet airplane are actually "chemtrails" left behind because "the government" is trying to poison the masses? Or, maybe you are on board with the "vaccines are killing more babies than they are curing" crowd?

Its all just a bit too far-fetched. Like Rocket said, "sit back and really think about how things work."

tunghaichuan
February 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a cop out, but I really can't explain "they" without delving into gov't/religion/politics, which are all strictly forbidden here on The Fret. Sorry.

tung

Not to sound absurd, but do those of you who maintain that "they" are trying to keep us unhealthy and uninformed also believe that "the government" flew the planes into the the WTC? How about that the contrails that you can observe in the sky behind a jet airplane are actually "chemtrails" left behind because "the government" is trying to poison the masses? Or, maybe you are on board with the "vaccines are killing more babies than they are curing" crowd?

Its all just a bit too far-fetched. Like Rocket said, "sit back and really think about how things work."

Spudman
February 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Tynee
We live in the most advanced country on earth. Don't you think that with all that ability people would be getting healthier instead of sicker? We aren't getting healthier. In fact diabetes is projected by 2010 to overtake heart disease as the number one killer in the US. We have more doctors per capita than any other country yet our people are grossly unhealthy.

Other countries don't have the diseases we have because they don't eat the same processed foods that we do. But coincidentally, when aspartame was introduced into other countries the same diseases started showing up.

Do I believe that there is a group of people that know the facts about aspartame and yet politically managed to move it into the market place in spite of the fact that it is not good to ingest? You bet I do. Do I believe they know what they are doing to people with their products? Yes.

You can have whatever conclusions you like about your other questions. This thread is about what is in diet drinks and their effects.

Like Rocket said, "sit back and really think about how things work." Gather data.

Tynee
February 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Spud, I don't deny that it is possible for a group of people to pull the wool over for some amount of time. I also can neither confirm nor deny that diet drinks are good or bad for you (although I suspect they are no worse than 80% of the food we eat in America today). My point is that it is far-fetched to believe that the Senate, the House of Representatives, the Judicial Branch, and the White House (under any president), could all be paid to slowly and deliberately poison the American People.

The larger issue here is personal responsibility. If I choose to drink a fifth of Jack Daniels every night, I'm more than likely headed for problems later in life. By now, people know that there is no healthier and more budget friendly beverage than water, with Milk being very important to a healthy diet as well. If I choose to drink Diet Coke to the exclusion of all other beverages, then I'm more than likely headed for early extinction as well.

We should all eat at home, food that we have prepared ourselves. We should LIMIT our intake of other beverages, drink more water, and in general make healthier choices. To say that we are all being systematically poisoned by the Food and Drug Administration because they allow us to buy a product that may or may not have beneficial effects as well as harmful ones, is denying that we all have a personal responsibility in this. Could it be that we have simply started making horrible diet decisions since the late 70's - early 80's, and that, not aspartame, is why we are more unhealthy than ever before? Combine that with the fact that we have better access to the medical care, and that we have, as you pointed out, vastly superior technology for finding out what's wrong with us, and the numbers are going to start looking worse.

Maybe I'm just skeptical.

Spudman
February 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Maybe I'm just skeptical. We should all eat at home, food that we have prepared ourselves. We should LIMIT our intake of other beverages, drink more water, and in general make healthier choices.

Skeptical is good. I just think with the evidence that can be easily obtained that there is more to it than we are shown.

I think your second sentence is really what people need to be made aware of the most. It is important to be in control of what goes in your body. I think people get lazy and because of that end up cruising down the highway of self destruction.

I always think of the old IBM credo G.I.G.O. - Garbage In Garbage Out

Tynee
February 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I think people get lazy...
I always think of the old IBM credo G.I.G.O. - Garbage In Garbage Out

Preach on, brother of the Fret...

Bloozcat
February 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Want to know who "they" are in the Aspartame fiasco?

Just follow the money trail and where and to whom it leads...

A simple fact...

An organic substance cannot be patented. A synthesized chemical substance can. Where do you think the money is there?

The all natural organic sweetener Stevia hasn't been able to get approval from FDA as a non-caloric "dietary" sweetener despite its undeniable safety record. And why do you suppose that is? Well where would companies like Searle and Monsanto be if Coca-Cola could opt to use an all natural, non caloric sweetener in their Diet Coke...and not have to buy Aspartame from the chemical companies? Think of it. Coca-Cola could take the high road and truly promote their product as a healthy drink (relatively speaking). No artificial chemical sweeteners. Think of how that would go over in an increasingly health conscious marketplace. And then think of what the chemical companies would be losing.

So, out come the lobbyists. Stevia bad, Aspartame good, here's another campaign donation. Secretary of Defense pressures FDA because he has substantial investment in chemical company and lots of tax payers dollars to make life Hell for FDA bureaucrats. Get the picture? This isn't fiction, its dirty business as usual in Washington. And before anybody thinks this is a political statement, this isn't a partisan practice. It's an equal opportunity practice open to all who eat from the public trough known as government.

I had said earlier that a natural organic substance can't be patented. But, if there are certain refinements made to that organic substance it can be named and trademarked. And just who do you think is jumping on this (money) bandwagon? Why none other than a chemical company...Cargill.

Well, Coca-Cola is not some fly by night company with no clout of their own (and neither is Pepsi who has a stake in this). And it seems that Coca-Cola has found themselves a new partner to jump in the sack with. I've been following this partnership between Cargill and Coca-Cola for over a year now. All the small natural food companies individually and combined could not get FDA to grant them GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) approval for Stevia as a natural sweetener. But now that it's got a name (Rebiana), and has the backing of CLG Life Tech Corp, Cargill, and Coca-Cola (yes, they worked with Cargill on Rebiana) it's suddenly legit. Looks like they could afford the lobbyists that the poor little health food companies couldn't.

http://www.stockwatch.com/swnet/newsit/newsit_newsit.aspx?bid=Z-C:GLG-1561728&symbol=GLG&news_region=C

EDIT TO ADD: Stevia was never available in grocery stores before. Since FDA wouldn't allow Stevia to be marketed as a sweetener only a "food additive", it was relegated to health food stores. But now it's magically available in grocery stores everywhere under the brand name, Truvia. It tastes as good (and even better) than the health food store Stevia I had been buying, but Truvia is only half as sweet.

Spudman
February 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Blooz
It's great to see that someone else is in the know. Thanks for your input. All this information could make a great difference in someone's health.

Tone2TheBone
February 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Well done Blooz.

Bloozcat
February 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Blooz
It's great to see that someone else is in the know. Thanks for your input. All this information could make a great difference in someone's health.

Thanks, Spud...I really hope that it does. I'd hate to see someone else suffer because they didn't know. I've had a few friends drop the diet soda habit after I had talked to them about it. One woman I know quit smoking and drinking Diet Coke at the same time (about 6-months ago now). Now that's some admirable resolve...:AOK: