PDA

View Full Version : How to inspire one's kids to play guitar?

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Well the oldest one just moved out, and I tried to get her inspired to play some guitar or any instrument. Didn't work.

Working on the 15 year-old right now. She showed a bit of interest initially, but of course now it's mostly boys, boys, boys. What to do?

Our 5 year-old knows how to play a Swedish lullaby already... :) She can play an E chord and sing the tune (some assistance needed of course).

Have any of you been successful at inspiring teenage girls to play guitar and sticking to it? I try not to be pushy, and if they don't have the interest, that's fine too. It is just such a shame, since I have plenty of people willing to pay me by the hour for teaching guitar. Oh well, any input appreciated.

Algonquin
February 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
It's a tough one for sure... I'm sort of in the same dilemma, except the part about folks wanting to pay me for lessons.

I guess you could try and learn some simplified versions of the songs and music she's listening to to try and go that route. It may be like trying to teach them to drive though. Even though we know how, they may pay more attention and do better with another instructor. Does her High School offer guitar in their music program?

R_of_G
February 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'll get back to you in about 12 years. :D

In all seriousness, I am hoping that Ella Rose will want to play music when she's older. My sister bought her a toy piano and she seems to like it. I play guitar to her every night and she looks at me like I'm doing a magic trick so I think she likes it on some level. I figure if she grows up knowing that her father plays music and both of her parents listen to and talk about music most of the time, she'll learn that it's important and hopefully will want to play. I'll let you know how it plays out.

Working on the 15 year-old right now. She showed a bit of interest initially, but of course now it's mostly boys, boys, boys. What to do?

I would think boys would love a girl that could play guitar. I know I would have when I was 15.

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah the 15 year-old is taking guitar at school, so hopefully that is some inspiration. Her teacher there tells her he would like to take lessons, from me. Pretty cool.

Algonquin
February 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah the 15 year-old is taking guitar at school, so hopefully that is some inspiration. Her teacher there tells her he would like to take lessons, from me. Pretty cool.
That's good, kids (young adults) will do things they want to. Like us, having friends who play will be a bonus for inspiration.

tjcurtin1
February 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
My students (now in 8th grade = 14 yrs. old) have played music in class with me most every day (for 8 years now, some of them; recorders - some now play all 5 voices) as well as an orchestra instrument in our upper grades orchestra. As a result, they have all become competent musicians and enjoy the fact that we can learn and play all kinds of music. This year I offered to teach a little guitar to anyone who was interested, as an extra one recess period a week. Two of the boys jumped and have worked at it on their own at home, too, and are getting quite good (interestingly, they both also play cello, and I pointed out that it was lucky for them as it has sped their guitar learning/playing). I knew that another of the boys and one of the girls were also interested, but they backed out, and I didn't want to push. Well at our arts night performance the other day the class performed 'Ashokan Farewell', with the two guitarists making their debut. The next day, I heard from the moms of the two reluctant guitarists whose interest has now grown and who would like to start... Yay!

I think that it's probably easier, as David says, if it's not coming from a parent. It may also help that I'm not all that good and have to work at it myself - I think that it may make it seem more possible in a way: "Well, I at least ought to be able to do it THAT well!"

F_BSurfer
February 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
All three of my kids play guitar not that I taught them though I might have got them started but quite a few teachers along the way. The youngest she now 14 and well she has decided to take a break from it grow her nails and be a girl as she puts it.I think the thing I learn from my kids is keep it fun and exciting,they have to see and hear there progression.Girls I think are harder to keep inspired to play.My 5 yr old grandson has just started first thing my oldest daughter taught him is a simple twinkle twinkle little star and i'm working with him on a shuffle it is easier to work with him than it was with my kids, the whole parent thing I guess.

ted s
February 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Tell her guys dig girls that play guitar, and if she practices a lot she can play like this young lady.. :master:

zdY0DrpTSp4

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I think especially with girls, there needs to be a social, fun element. My son was inspired when he was asked to be included in a performance at camp, and as part of his "Rock Camp" last summer. There were a bunch of girls that got into it too. Those situations inspired him more than when he is home alone working on his scales. We also made music practice required to earn Wii and computer time. A good 30 min practice earns 40 min screen time.

I am trying to think of when young girls sit around and jam, and unless you have some sort of camp or band situation, it is hard to make it social. But I think having some social connection with friends helps.

Brian Krashpad
February 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
My daughter expressed interest in bass, so I told her she could play any of mine that she wanted (I don't have anything expensive) and that eventually we could get her one of her own, if she wants. Over time, I also bought a little 2x10 cab for her use, and rehab'd an old bass head of mine that previously wasn't working, so she would be able to have something to play through in her room at Casa Krashpad (all my amps except a tiny half-watt 2x8 practice guitar amp are at my office).

I've shown her some scales, as well as the major chords, so she has all of those written down for reference. I also taught her a couple songs. She basically went online and taught herself tab with a little help from me (at this point, since I never really use tab, I'd bet she is better at it than I am, though that is not saying much).

Things have gone slowly, because I'm not really a guitar/bass teacher. I try to answer her questions whenever she brings any to me. So I'm more like a facilitator than teacher, if that makes any sense.

She is in a very demanding academic high school program (pre-International Baccalaureate, with some Advanced Placement classes as well) and does not have a lot of spare time besides her studies. Recently, our church youth group has decided to have their own youth music group, and she is very excited about trying to play bass for that. Hopefully, that will keep her interest up.

The youth music group leader was supposed to get some music to her in advance of tonight's meeting, which never happened, and she is far from being able to sit down with a lead sheet or sheet music with chord notations and play right away. However, hopefully they will start supplying her with music and I can help her practice in advance of the meetings. That would allow her energies to be much more focused than they have been to date. I'm really looking forward to that.

Jimi75
February 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
How many times did I ask myself how I get my kids (6 and 4) inspired to play an instrument. They love singing and dancing like almost all kids do and they love it when I take the guitar and sing some kids stuff with them. BUT as soon as I want to start explaining something on the guitar, they kinda block. My son recently said he would like to play the drums, but I think his interest changes from minute to minute.

It's hard to inspire them. But I am convinced of the fact that if they grow up in a musical household chances are quite high they play an instrument one day.

Robert
February 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah, it's hard to know what to do. I give the 15 year-old straps, guitars, amp, albums to listen to, etc. Hopefully she gets into it. I'm trying to get her to start a band with her friends, but of course it depends on how interested her friends are.

mcgreggor57
February 12th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Is it possible to start with "What inspired you?" I imagine the reasons we became involved in music/guitar will run the gamut.

In all honesty, I can not remember why I went to the assembly in grade school, 40 some years ago, where they introduced those in attendance to "band". There was no musical influence in my home. Maybe it was a peer thing....I don't remember if my friends were interested...or if I became friends with those that were interested. ;)