PDA

View Full Version : Are my feet growing?

luvmyshiner
February 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Robert, you'll be glad to know I've started running again. I've been needing to find an exercise regimen for some time (I'm getting old and fat), but I was concerned about running because of my back. So I talked to my Doc about it, he gave me some back exercises and told me running shouldn't be a problem as long as I get new shoes every six months.

So I decided to give it a month before I bought new shoes to make sure I would stick with it. Today has been a month, and I'm up to a mile and a half (not much by your standards Robert, but I'm hanging in there). So I went to buy some new running shoes today.

Now I've been a size 12 since I was in the 9th grade, but no more it seems. Apparently now I'm a size 13. Fortunately I was able to find a sweet pair of New Balance shoes in my size. The only thing I can figure is that my feet must be getting fatter like the rest of me. Just seems to me if my feet are growing again at 47 years of age, other parts of my anatomy should be growing as well.:beer:

Rocket
February 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
...seems to me if my feet are growing again at 47 years of age, other parts of my anatomy should be growing as well.
Heh-heh... well your teenie-weenie delusions are obviously still growing!

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Great decision, Shiner!

Regarding shoes, you know I have that happen all the time too. The shoe people make some models smaller (or bigger) than other models, so there is no guarantee a certain shoe size will always fit. Go by feel and fit, not by number... :)

Tone2TheBone
February 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Shoes and clothes are made in China so they run small.

luvmyshiner
February 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I was amazed at how many choices they have now Robert. I went to Academy, and they had two rows of nothing but mens running shoes. I tried on three or four pair in the middle of the price range and finally went with the ones that felt most comfortable.

evenkeel
February 8th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Bit of athletic shoe trivia..

Shoes are made around a plastic mold called a last. There is no industry standard for size or shape. So... what adidas calls a 9 is not shaped the same as a Nike 9, etc., etc.. Even within a specific brand many different lasts will be used.

So, what the label says on the shoe is largely irrelevent. Really just a reference point. Try a bunch on and go with what fits.

Also, the fact most athletic shoes are made in the Far East is not a factor in sizing. All aspects of development including the last, materials, size, style etc. are controlled by the company. The factory builds the product according to the specs set by the company.

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Maybe you are retaining water - you're never too old for a sex change.