PDA

View Full Version : Almost bought a Marshall today

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Went to the big city music store and found a used Marshall JVM 410H in great condition. Price was good I think - $1000.

I plugged it in to a 1960AV cab, and goodness came out. The amp has a freakin' million knobs and thangs, but I was able to dial a pretty righteous strat tone. :) The clean channel was, nah, not that sexy really. But who buys a Marshall for clean tone?

I sat there thinking, "what band do I play in where I could make use of this". The answer is nada. So, no Marshall came home with me. :(

I am going there every Saturday for the next 9 weeks, so maybe I'll change my mind if I keep seeing it sitting there... would be fun to have of course, but I can never play loud at home (or at any gigs) so I dunno. Still, it sounded nice at lower volumes too. I just don't like all this midi crap and blinking buttons - I don't need any o dat.

tunghaichuan
February 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Robert,

I was under the impression that your Mack amp is a Marshall circuit. I guess I'm kind of confused. Does it not sound Marshally enough? Or do you just have to have the real thing?

tung

Robert
February 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
The Mack amp is great but very clean sounding. I am interested in that classic Marshall crunch.

Rocket
February 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM
The Mack amp is great but very clean sounding. I am interested in that classic Marshall crunch.
Tough to find really good clean... hundred ways to get crunch.

SuperSwede
February 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
The clean channel was, nah, not that sexy really. But who buys a Marshall for clean tone?

Someone needs to listen to t2tb´s silver jubilee Marshall... amazing clean and breakup sounds! :)

I really dig the clean tones that you can get from the JCM/JTM amps too.

oldguy
February 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Someone needs to listen to t2tb´s silver jubilee Marshall... amazing clean and breakup sounds! :)

I really dig the clean tones that you can get from the JCM/JTM amps too.

I go to youtube and listen to Tone's clips just for that sound.........that sound. Plus he plays great guitar, and he's funny.:D :D :D

Blaze
February 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Come on Rob , make yourself one

JTM45 (http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSJTM45/BSJTM45.htm)

Robert
February 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Well, after sleeping on it, I am getting the feeling I should get this Marshall. I must admit it sounded very nice, and the price was right. I've been reading up on these too, and many seem to like them. That Plexi style breakup tone is definitely in the amp, and it sounded "big". I hope it's there next weekend, if so, I may very well buy it. I think I should have a good chance of getting most of my money back if I ever want to sell it. I mean, they go for $2,199.99 at Musician's Friend. $1000 CAD seems like a good price to me!

Blaze
February 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Get some quality ear plugs too ...

Nice GASING amp:bravo:

Robert
February 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Get some quality ear plugs too ...

Nice GASING amp:bravo:

You know it sounded great at reasonable volume. That's one thing about those old non-master volume amps. They probably sound better than any Marshalls, but I couldn't use them unless I had a attenuator. I played a 100 watt Super Lead head a few years ago and it was a dream, but man it was loud!

About the clean tone, well I didn't spend much time with the amp, and from what I've read, many say this amp has better cleans than most other Marshalls, so I'm sure with my Suhr and my sweet pedals, I could make this baby sing or scream any which way I want!

Maybe I should call them and ask if they can put it away for me until Saturday... yes Marshall GAS has officially hit me now, in case that isn't clear enough... :D

tunghaichuan
February 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Cool. Here is a review (http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0907_Marshall_JVM.php) in case you hadn't seen it.

Looks kind of complicated, but very versatile.

Regarding the Mack amp, all you really need is a germanium treble booster (like the BYOC Triboost) to get the Marshall Crunch :poke: I've heard tell of a guy called DVM who can help you with that :AOK: :D

tung

You know it sounded great at reasonable volume. That's one thing about those old non-master volume amps. They probably sound better than any Marshalls, but I couldn't use them unless I had a attenuator. I played a 100 watt Super Lead head a few years ago and it was a dream, but man it was loud!

About the clean tone, well I didn't spend much time with the amp, and from what I've read, many say this amp has better cleans than most other Marshalls, so I'm sure with my Suhr and my sweet pedals, I could make this baby sing or scream any which way I want!

Maybe I should call them and ask if they can put it away for me until Saturday... yes Marshall GAS has officially hit me now, in case that isn't clear enough... :D

Jimi75
February 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hello Robert,

Please make sure that you do not comprimise. The 410Vh is a great amph, but you will have to "love" it entirely, otherwise you will always yearn for that cleansound you have in mind.

I went for my JTM45 because of the great clean sound and with that basis you can stack the crunch with pedals.

Good luck my friend!

J75

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I agree that you should not compromise. If this one is the one you want, go for it. But I wouldn't compromise, and hope you like it or can flip it later. I have gotten the impression you would prefer the basic, real deal Marshall, without excess thrills or options, that just makes you smile when you turn it on and play it. If that is true, I would hold out for that one.

Robert
February 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I am impulsive when I have money, and I like to buy anything at the moment that I think sounds good. This amp sounds like the real deal, and the price is right. I will have to ask them why it's so low, in case there is something wrong with it that I didn't notice. I have a great cleans in my Heatseeker and if I get this, I have that classic rock crunch anytime as well. Fun to have more than one amph! Fact is that my Heatseeker has to be played loud to get to break up, whereas the 100 watt Marshall gives great crunch even at volumes. Kinda weird in a way, the 18 watter is much louder than the 100 watter for home practice!

I may be able to afford this because I just sold my Fender strat and some pedals, so with that and some gig money, I'm just shy of that one grand.

They had a Vintage Modern, 1987x, DSL and other interesting Marshalls, but they were way more expensive of course.

just strum
February 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
This amp sounds like the real deal, and the price is right. I will have to ask them why it's so low, in case there is something wrong with it that I didn't notice. I have a great cleans in my Heatseeker and if I get this, I have that classic rock crunch anytime as well. Fun to have more than one amph! Fact is that my Heatseeker has to be played loud to get to break up, whereas the 100 watt Marshall gives great crunch even at volumes. Kinda weird in a way, the 18 watter is much louder than the 100 watter for home practice!

Have you discussed this with the Suhr? I mean, isn't that the one that will be really using it? Did you take the Suhr to the store, so they can meet?

It really depends on how it sounds with the Suhr. Your sound is only as good as its weakest link and we know how you feel about the Suhr - never know, it may be a match made in Heaven!!!

Blaze
February 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Might have this one for 12 grand ..

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Marshall-JTM45-re-issue-W0QQAdIdZ103443784

Don t know about this one ...

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Marshall-JTM45-Angus-Young-Clone-from-Ceriatone-W0QQAdIdZ104097903

Robert
February 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Talked to my Suhr (nickname Jake) this morning, and Jake said "yes I would love for you to play me through a JVM410H. Please get it for us.".

So, how can I say no to such a pleading?

R.B. Huckleberry
February 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Talked to my Suhr (nickname Jake) this morning, and Jake said "yes I would love for you to play me through a JVM410H. Please get it for us.".

So, how can I say no to such a pleading?

Once you put it that way, it all makes sense.