PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions--careful listening required!

duhvoodooman
February 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Below is a link to a clip recorded using my new BYOC Overdrive 2 MOSFET pedal. I'm experimenting with something, but I'm not going to say what--don't want to prejudice any opinions beforehand. The clip is recorded with much the same setup as I used for the OD2 demo clip I recorded last night, except that this time it's recorded through my Line 6 Toneport DI and Gearbox Plug-in software, so the sound quality is better. Amp model is a Hiwatt 100W head, set up clean, run through a 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30 cab simulation. The guitar is my Fender Strat Plus on the bridge-middle setting.

You'll hear that same sequence I used for the original OD2 demo, plus a few extra chords at the end, repeated four times. My questions are:

Of the first three (3) repeats, which one do you like best and why? How would you describe any difference between the three? Try to separate differences in the playing from the tone itself--the tonal difference is what I'm interested in.

How does the fourth repeat sound to you, and how would you describe any audible differences between that one and the other three? Which of the preceding three does it sound closest to?
The last part is just one of my favorite SRV bits. I figure if you're going to be playing a Strat with Texas Special p'ups through a Tube Screamer-type pedal, you damned well better fit some SRV in there somewhere, playing quality notwithstanding.... :D :rockon:

Here's the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/1b6ca6fva3

just strum
February 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not the best when it comes to judging tone, but I lean towards #3. There is a crispness or sharpness in the notes towards the end that catch me.

As for matching the fourth up to one of the first three, I would say it matches more closely to the second.

Keep in mind that I've been sitting in front of the AD30VT and testing out the new speaker and the ME50.

Oh, and I thought the playing was good. You were testing out equipment, not preparing for a world tour.

piebaldpython
February 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I like #3 the best too because it sounded a bit "edgier" than the other two. Maybe it was THIS close to "breaking up"? I felt it was closer to #3 because of the "grit" factor, though it had some of the "clean" factor from #2
I really liked #4 as it sounded/felt "edgier yet cleaner" as though it was boosted to the forefront. Nice playing BTW. :D

sunvalleylaw
February 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Of the first three, I like number 2 best. It sounds more overdrivey and less distorty (great words, huh?) to me, and with a bit more warmth for some reason. The fourth one is either a second choice or equal to number two for me. There is still more distortion, and, but it is fatter and warmer to me. At least at this listening. Number 3 is next, though it sounds to me like a fattened up distorted sound (among the first three), like when I run my OD and my old distortion (DS-1) together. So I go 2, 4, then 3.

The final chord of the first run on number 2 is partly what really got me. I like how that chord rang out.

Rocket
February 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Huh?
It's funny that "careful listening required" of electric guitarists... you should think about getting opinion from some group that can still hear!

Suhnton
February 11th, 2009, 03:37 AM
To me, the first three share similar tonal qualities. Of those, I think #2 does it for me. The chords at the end have a nice clear quality about them. The fourth one is markedly different, like you're using different equipment. Has more of a mid-rangey sound (like a tweed amp?) which I don't hear in any of the first three.

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hey, you guys have some good ears there! (Probably better than mine, for the reason Rocket mentions!) Some very perceptive comments. Keep 'em coming! :dude:

Algonquin
February 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I prefered the chord progression in clip #1, it had an open dynamic flavour to it that I enjoyed. I liked the lead riff pattern from #2 as it came through a little fuller sounding and not as bright as #1.

#2 and #3 sound very similar to me... I listened a few times and didn't hear a huge difference.

I would say #4 is closest to #2&3, with maybe a bit more midrange.

Now I can't wait to here you say that all 4 clips are the same :rotflmao:

aeolian
February 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Here's what I heard when I listened.

The difference to me is slightly different eq for each. #1 sounds to me to be flat eq, #2 has a bit more mid-range boost, and #3 a bit more high frequency boost plus mid-range boost. I prefer the tone of #1; I find myself adjusting the treble down when I play my guitars, so that is the tone that I personally prefer. #4 sounds to be a more distorted sound with more squeal; it most resembles #2 to me.

Suhnton
February 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hey, you guys have some good ears there! (Probably better than mine, for the reason Rocket mentions!) Some very perceptive comments. Keep 'em coming! :dude:

Don't keep us guessing too long now...:)

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Don't keep us guessing too long now...:)
OK, here's the deal:

This clip is an opamp test. Guitar, pedal and amp simulation are identical on all of the first three clips. The difference is the opamp.

MC33502 MOSFET opamp
Burr Brown OPA2134 hi-fidelity opamp
JRC4558D, the "vintage" TS808 opamp
Back to the Burr Brown, but I dialed up the resistance on the Louder trimpot from 1.5 Kohm to 10K, to push the output a little harder.

I think the various observations were generally right on the money. The MOSFET is slightly smoother, the Burr Brown somehat cleaner and more articulate, and the 4558 has the edgier, lower-fi tone. Which you like best is purely a matter of personal taste. I'm sticking with that Burr Brown chip, for now.

Thanks for the great comments, guys! :AOK:

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Of the first three, I like number 2 best. It sounds more overdrivey and less distorty (great words, huh?) to me,...

I know OT, but for eight years someone watched one too many of Bush's speeches.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
LOL! Good one Strum!

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I liked 3 and well now I see why now that you've posted what the pieces were. I love the JRC in my Zonkin'.

You've been practicing haven't you. :bravo: :)