PDA

View Full Version : NAD! Marshall JVM410H is my new best friend!

Robert
February 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
New Amph Day!

I went picked up the 100 watt JVM410H and plugged in to my Avatar 2x12. Played both my Suhr and Michael Kelly with it. I was wondering if my Avatar would work well with this Marshall.

Oh - My - Goodness!

This amph is such a treat! :dude:

I could only play at low volume because of kids and wife, but still, it sounded sweet nonetheless. My other amps has to be played much louder in order to get a good tone. So the master volume feature on this Marshall is working very well.

Okay, so honeymoon isn't over yet, but I sure am smiling playing this amp. It is in fact very easy to use. It's like 12 amps in one, and all tones are impressive. There is something about the tone that is so clear and distinct. Chords ring very full even with distortion.

Regarding the distortion, there is so much of it on OD1 and OD2 if you engage the Red mode. Scary. Any metal head would love this to death. :rockon:

The clean channel is in fact very impressive, especially with my Suhr. It sounds not far from a Fender, actually. Very classy, but I set it to overdrive slightly anyway, just because that's what I like.

That Plexi style sound is in there, very, very cool. This is "my" sound. That Marshall punchy tone with just the right amount of gain. I found myself rolling down the volume knob quite a bit to get a half clean tone, then roll it up more for digging in for that classic Marshall tone. This amph has plenty of that Marshall tone, guys!

Ok, I'll stop now. I'm obviously excited. :AOK:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_749925e5c617b9.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=966)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_749925e70e069c.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=967)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_749925e7e069de.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=968)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_749925e8b5b63b.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=969)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_749925e991ded3.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=970)

t_ross33
February 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
very cool Robert! Congrats... I know you've been GASing for a Marshall for awhile. Cool that you can get near-Fender tones (weren't early Marshalls based on the Bassman circuit?). Can't wait to hear it...

oh, wait I think I can... better turn it down before your neighbors in Saskatchewan complain :rotflmao:

Edit: Oh, BTW thanks for including the amp's model number in the heading cuz I probably wouldn't want to read about your NADs :poke:

Ch0jin
February 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I was SO about to post "Pix or it didn't happen" but look, here they are!!

Happy New Amp Day :)

Looks like all this talk of simple low powered amps passed you by huh Robert :) That baby has more knobs than a Roman bathhouse and more grunt than a pig farm! Nice "bedroom" rig for sure :)

Rocket
February 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hmmm... now what could be missing?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/MarshallStack_Slayer.jpg/800px-MarshallStack_Slayer.jpg

Gil Janus
February 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Happy New Amp Day :AOK:

Now you can really :dude: :rockon: :R :DR :greenguitar:

Gil :cool:

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Great pics Robert, and I am glad you are happy with it! Congrats!

markb
February 11th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hmmm... now what could be missing?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/MarshallStack_Slayer.jpg/800px-MarshallStack_Slayer.jpg

A picture of the Fender Princeton hiding behind those cabs? :)

Enjoy the new amp, Robert.

Jimi75
February 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Hey Robert,

WELCOME TO MARSHALL LAND!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear that the clean channel convinced you and you have found a great amph. Wow! The Plexi sounds must be awesome I can imagine and the many possibilities this amph offers will bring you a sound to dream of!

The Marshall cleans are always totally underrated. Man I love them Marshall amphs!

That was a good decision. You will love this amph. Definitely a keeper. :master:

J75

Kazz
February 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Robert.....I cannot wait for some clips of you playing through this amp. Congrats man. The JVM410H is what Frank is currently using.

Rocket
February 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
The JVM410H is what Frank is currently using.
Bill & Dave too!

F_BSurfer
February 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Congrats Robert .......I can only imagine how awesome it is

oldguy
February 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Congrats on your new Marshall, Robert!
If Frank, Bill, and Dave are all using one, they gotta be great.

mrmudcat
February 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Oh your a cruel man BOSS!!!!!:master:

M29
February 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yikes:rockon: I wants it precious........Sweet, oh yes its is sweet:rockon:

Brian Krashpad
February 11th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Congrats!

I don't think I'd ever figure out all those knobs though!

R.B. Huckleberry
February 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Wow. A Marshall at last! Play it in good health, sir. Enjoy!

Tone2TheBone
February 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
It is aboot freakin' time Rob. Welcome to the Marshall family! I love the pics...you got that Marshall in da the house look! Congratulations you made a fine choice! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Blaze
February 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: C est super cool Robert , getting closer to Scotty s set up is nt.
You look like a young boy with his toy again ..
Hope you won t be the next Tinitus rookie ..Carefull..:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Bravo !!

Blazes:AOK:

Robert
February 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks, hehe!

I've already got shot ears, so too late for me!

Algonquin
February 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
That's a lot of knobs on that one... it'd take me a month or so just to get familiar with them.

Now you need a 2x12 cabinet sized riser so you can place your Avatar 2x12 horizontal. Maybe just something empty and light disguised as a cab to get the speakers elevated and help with projection... just a thought :poke:

Very nice looking amp :AOK:

(As Reverend Mack weeps silently :cry: )

Robert
February 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I will use the Mack too. They are different and compliments each other.

It is NOT hard to use. It's 4 channels, all with their own knobs, so very easy. Add the gain and eq you want for each channel - good to go!

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I will use the Mack too. They are different and compliments each other.

It is NOT hard to use. It's 4 channels, all with their own knobs, so very easy. Add the gain and eq you want for each channel - good to go!

A smile on your face like a boy and his dog.

Congrats on the purchase.

Do any of us ever grow up when it comes to new toys? I know I don't.

tjcurtin1
February 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
YeeHaw! It's a knob-fest for sure! Can't wait to hear you through it - turn it up to 11!
Seems that between the Suhr and the Marshall you have now attained your Holy Grail of GAS - what heights of gear desire are left for you to scale?!?

Robert
February 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys, but you know, "GAS never sleeps".... :D :D :D

tjcurtin1
February 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Oooops! Gotta update that sig line gear list....

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys, but you know, "GAS never sleeps".... :D :D :D

Certainly not with the alarm clocks going off around here.

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Congrats Robert!

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Oh, man! That's SUH-WEET, RR! :AOK: :bravo: :rockon:

A new Suhr and now a new Marshall?? Did you have a rich uncle die or something? And what exactly is being done with all those Fret.net donations, anyway? :poke: ;) :D

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Ok it's Thursday morning. I bet you kept turning on the light in your jam room last night just to have another look at your new Marshall before you went to bed with a smile on your face didn't you....

:D

Robert
February 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Almost, Tone... I played it until late last night...

DVM, I could afford this because it was used and I sold my Fender Strat and some other stuff, plus I've have a few good paying gigs lately. Ahh, the joy of gear!

I'm very stoked about this monster amph. It screams and it cuddles... if I want it to. The clean channel is so clean if I want it to be. Quite amazing. Must have been a lot or R & D going into producing these amps. I think this must be the best Marshall amp you can buy today as a current production model. It can do almost any tone you can imagine! Ok, it is a Marshall so it won't sound like a Dumble or a Fender or a Boogie, but it sure has lot going for it and has such a variety of classic Marshall tones in it.

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Wait till you plug yours into a Marshall 4x12 cabinet. You'll need to have a few more gigs lined up after that.

Robert
February 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I don't plan on getting a 4x12 because they are a pain to haul around, plus my 2x12 sounds really good with this amph. If I had a roadie, yeah then I'd like a Vintage Modern cab! Anybody volunteering to carry such a thing around for me? :D

I won't say never though.... ;) but I keep my gear in the basement and the stairs are narrow... :(

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Never say never. They come with wheels ya know.

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
DVM, I could afford this because it was used and I sold my Fender Strat and some other stuff, plus I've have a few good paying gigs lately.
Ah, yes--a source of gear funding that I shall never enjoy!!

DVM -->:master: :rockon: <-- RR

Robert
February 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Never say never, DVM! You should join a band, it's never too late. You're a good player.

sunvalleylaw
March 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
The JVM210H got a mention in the last GuitarPlayer for favorite amph I think! Yours must be nearly twice as good!

Robert
March 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
4 times as good!

Neal
October 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Robert, and congrats on what I think is a great amp. I'm getting that very same amp, and setting it on a 1960 vintage cab. The distortion is smooth and meterable, that can enable me to produce some real nice bluesy sound. But I was really impressed with the clean.

deeaa
October 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Congrats...when I was shopping for a new amph I came _so_ close to getting the JVM...but alas, it was so expensive. Plus I was a little afraid of it being too complicated...I wanted an amp I could play the rest of my life and I got a bit spooked by how hard might it be to do maintenance on that monster in 15 years or so :-)

So I went with Ceriatone; simple p-t-p Marshall copy at half the price of JVM.

BUT I'm so jealous...if I were rich, I'd get me one in a heartbeat. I absolutely loved the 'orange' or is it crunch channel...marvellous, great sound even at lower levels. I barely tested the cleans, but yeah, they sounded good too. Despite I found the ultra gain sounds, well, too ultra gain for my use, I was and am sure that'd be one great Marshall to have...also my friend who bought one for his studio for artists to use when they want a Marshall sound swears by it.

I somehow equate the JVM in some respects with the 6100 latter series...those were some seriously good sounding Marshalls as well...and also a lot of knobs :-)

Robert
October 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
It is a fantastic amp. You can get almost any kind sound imaginable out of it.

Neal
October 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Happy amp day to me. I did it. I am the proud owner of a JVM 410 H, coupled with a 1960 Vintage Marshal cab.:pancake

This thing is the sweetest of the sweet, in fact, it has tupelo honey dripping off of it.:happy

mrmudcat
October 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Robert's teasing ,makes some of us by new marshall stacks that we dont need:what :french :thwap

Neal
October 31st, 2009, 05:47 AM
:happy In the case of this amp, It's a tease in the right direction:AOK

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Yea our El Capitan got me going on a new stack marshall but I had VM on my brain from the get go and not sorry I got it by no means ..................I have been looking at tiny macks lately :thwap

Robert I listened to Valerie aka:Val Halla.....and the boys of course dug that catchy good girl pop diddie she's fixing to drop. Sak girls have it going on.............:french :crazyguy

Neal tupelo honey.......like those words..(sounds like a song coming on).......in another time our clan lived out on the Natchez Trace.........Mississippi..(houston).............. ..near Tupelo.........:cool:

Neal
October 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Song? :socool Hmmmmmmm. I think you have something there:greenguitar:

deeaa
November 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
Dudes, I'm getting gas for the JVM. I shouldn't, because the only way I could afford one is by selling my current amph which was hand built for me and tha would be very stupid to sell, I'd regret it for ever.

GAS is a terrible thing. I need to pass the gas for now, LOL :help