PDA

View Full Version : TS-808 Placement in the Chain .. any advice ?

skintrade
February 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi guys, just finishing off a pedal board project and thought I would get some points of view on TS-808 Keeley Mod placement.

I currently have...

Guitar=>VPJr=>Vox Wah=>BD2 Mod=>Keeley Comp=>Keeley Fuzz Head=>DS-1 Modded=>TS-808 Keeley=>Flanger=>Chorus=>DD7=>GE-7 EQ=>Mesa Express 25 1x10.

I may also squeeze in a MT2 after the DS1 at some point.

I am pretty happy with the set-up but I'm wondering if I should place the TS-808 elsewhere in the chain (like in front of the DS-1 or Fuzz?).

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Iago
February 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Depends on the function that you want it to perform. If you wanna try it as main grit source, I'd try before the DS-1 and the BD-2. And those I'd place after the Fuzz Head. To me fuzzes sound better as first in the chain and with overdrives after it, so I'd also try Fuzz Head first followed by the more gritty drive you have (the one that has more gain on tap). Like:

Guitar > Wah > Fuzz > DS-1 > BD-2 > TS-808 (set for more volume, not much gain) and the rest of the pedals set just as you currently have it. When you kick in the TS-808 with the fuzz on (or the DS or BD for that matter), it will make it thicker and more sustainy. I Hope this helps!

Not familiar with "VPJr" :s sorry.

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
There's obviously no "right" answer to this, but I generally like to run my OD-distro-fuzz pedals in increasing order of gain. I'd try the TS808 right after the compressor.

BTW, one notable exception to the above is unbuffered fuzz pedals like the Fuzz Face--like Iago says, they seem to sound best at the front of the chain. But something like a Big Muff I'd have near the end of the distortion stuff.

Iago: VP Jr. is a volume pedal....

Skintrade, we always encourage our new members to stop by the Fret Players forum (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13) and introduce themselves.

markb
February 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Guitar=>VPJr=>Vox Wah=>BD2 Mod=>Keeley Comp=>Keeley Fuzz Head=>DS-1 Modded=>TS-808 Keeley=>Flanger=>Chorus=>DD7=>GE-7 EQ=>Mesa Express 25 1x10.
:)

I'd put an 808 after the compressor in that chain. I've found TSs stack well with Blues Drivers if you run the Blues driver first and, like DVM said, I'd go low to high gain through the chain. BUT, I'd move the volume pedal to after the drives. At present, all the noise from your drives is coming through when you lower the volume. VP before compressor is a surefire recipe for excessive noise. Keep the VP before the delays (and mods) so that you preserve the delay trails when lowering the volume. It sounds more natural that way. That's what I'd do but, in the end, it's really your preference.

Spudman
February 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'd put an 808 after the compressor in that chain.

I ran my TS for years after the compressor and really liked it. I had great control over feedback and the touch characteristics of the guitar/amp that way. Later I graduated to running distortion (DS1) before the TS with similar results except that I now have 3 distortions (DS1 alone, TS alone, or DS1>TS together).

The main reason I preferred to have the TS last was that it took the high end off of the DS1 and at gig volume that worked the best and was more pleasant to the ears.

Anyway, I'd go wah>comp>DS1>808>BD2 (in case you want to brighten up the 808)

markb
February 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
The main reason I preferred to have the TS last was that it took the high end off of the DS1 and at gig volume that worked the best and was more pleasant to the ears.

Anything that takes the top end off a DS1 has to be a good thing :)

skintrade
February 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I am going to have a play around on Saturday with the 808 after comp at the head of dist chain. I am also gonna try the vol pedal toward the end of the chain, this may put pay to me wondering if a Keeley Katana boost at the end of the chain would be a worthy investment..... pedal addict... gotta STOP lolo

I appreciate the posts, thanks again..!!