PDA

View Full Version : New to the "Heard"

Gary
February 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Just found you guys last night and "hear" I am.
Some background: I've been playing guitar since I was 10, and now I've reached 55.
I've been more serious the past 11 years and even more serious the past 3 months. Yes I'm a late bloomer, and can finally play Little Wing!
I started my playing on an old Kay jazz box, with lipstick like hum-buckers, my brother set aside after he had his chance with it. I moved on to a who knows what electric. After years of plunking through "Wipe Out", "Gloria" and of course "House of the Rising Sun", I moved into years 19 through 21 with a "Norma hummingbird" acoustic and a '69 Gibson SG custom, (that I paid a whopping $150., and eventually traded for an Ovation Tornado. I really wanted that "!0 Years After" look and sound. Ended up selling the Ovation and giving up the ax for quite a while. Tried to resurrect my interest and purchased a "Sigma" acoustic, which my brother still has after trading to him for "I can't remember what".
Now I'm getting serious: I held a Takamine NP17-C and purchased it new about 10 years ago. It talked to me though it's Kowa/cedar body. I didn't put the thing down for 5 years and started writing songs immediately. From there I borrowed an Ibanez Bass from a friend and found new ways of playing guitar that still amaze me. I purchased an Ibanez 390 bass and a Yamaha Strat like copy to refinish.
I ended up trading the two for an '80's Epiphone Sheridan. Again, I just picked it up and it talked to me. Now I was over talking with this guy and under his couch I see a Fender case. In it was the nastiest Hamer guitar I've seen. It was black with rust and broken strings. I told him I'd buy it for $50., and he jumped at it. I took it home and looked it up on the net. It's a 1983 Hamer Phantom A-5. I stripped the black paint off to it's natural mahogany body and neck. The head stock has a veneer of curly maple, go figure. There was a lot of cleaning to do on the wiring and controls and some static from the pick guard. I had a friend slice a piece of bobinga to cover the pick guard and finished it to look as natural as possible. I made a new truss rod cover with a slice of curly black walnut for the head stock. Then I mounted a nice piece of turquoise to bring attention to the head stock. Fixed the action and thew on some .09 silver bullets. I will always keep this one oiled and in my collection.
This last Christmas I was in the market for something new and thought I was heading for a Les Paul, but after playing several, I leaned toward a Stratocaster. I ended up with an American mahogany HSS, which I am in love with.
I currently play through a Line-6 spider ll 1/12 75 watt amp which I plan to super size at some point. I would like something with 2/12's an at least 120 watts. Though I did play a concert at a 300 seat auditorium with a 30 watt Crate amp - 2 times. Hey, they said I could mic it, the liars. I chose the Line-6 for the weight (42 lbs), effects, speaker size and the $200. price tag when they were getting rid of the old stock.
I just refinished a 1984 Fender Japanese Strat to look like a new relic, and will age beautifully. I will eventually add pictures to this site.

I use a Boss looper, a DigiTech peddle with a whole lot of my own custom sounds and a Roland GR-20 synth for those added fill sounds.
I've done some live recording with a band a couple years ago and got hooked on the studio thing. I like to do guitar clinics to keep pushing me to try new things. I love the free lessons on YOUTUBE! I play my own stuff mainly, a jazzy, bluesy, acidic style with some slapping and popping added in when I find the zone. I used a pick sometimes and most of my fingers all the time. I dream of playing like Tuck, of Tuck and Patty.
If you made it this far, give me a shout. My name is Gary and I live in Colorado.

Robert
February 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the heard! Glad to have you join the cattle. I like Tuck too, great player. I might axe some questions about that GR-20; I've thought about getting something like that to play with for recording.

oldguy
February 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hi, Gary. Welcome to TheFret. Sounds like some interesting guitars, pics will be nice to see.

Gil Janus
February 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Welcome aboard TheFret. It looks like you will fit right in.

Gil :cool:

warren0728
February 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
welcome gary....nice intro....this is a great relaxed forum....you'll like it....

tunghaichuan
February 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome.

There are a few of us in Colorado on The Fret.

I like Tuck Andress a lot, as well. That guy is a monster player. The cool thing about him is that when he records, he just plugs his guitar into the board and plays.

I have an old Sound Page from Guitar player, one of those little plastic records that came in GP in the 80s and early 90s of him demonstrating his technique. He was playing three distinct parts. Unbelievable. :master:

tung

Just found you guys last night and "hear" I am.
Some background: I've been playing guitar since I was 10, and now I've reached 55.
I've been more serious the past 11 years and even more serious the past 3 months. Yes I'm a late bloomer, and can finally play Little Wing!
I started my playing on an old Kay jazz box, with lipstick like hum-buckers, my brother set aside after he had his chance with it. I moved on to a who knows what electric. After years of plunking through "Wipe Out", "Gloria" and of course "House of the Rising Sun", I moved into years 19 through 21 with a "Norma hummingbird" acoustic and a '69 Gibson SG custom, (that I paid a whopping $150., and eventually traded for an Ovation Tornado. I really wanted that "!0 Years After" look and sound. Ended up selling the Ovation and giving up the ax for quite a while. Tried to resurrect my interest and purchased a "Sigma" acoustic, which my brother still has after trading to him for "I can't remember what".
Now I'm getting serious: I held a Takamine NP17-C and purchased it new about 10 years ago. It talked to me though it's Kowa/cedar body. I didn't put the thing down for 5 years and started writing songs immediately. From there I borrowed an Ibanez Bass from a friend and found new ways of playing guitar that still amaze me. I purchased an Ibanez 390 bass and a Yamaha Strat like copy to refinish.
I ended up trading the two for an '80's Epiphone Sheridan. Again, I just picked it up and it talked to me. Now I was over talking with this guy and under his couch I see a Fender case. In it was the nastiest Hamer guitar I've seen. It was black with rust and broken strings. I told him I'd buy it for $50., and he jumped at it. I took it home and looked it up on the net. It's a 1983 Hamer Phantom A-5. I stripped the black paint off to it's natural mahogany body and neck. The head stock has a veneer of curly maple, go figure. There was a lot of cleaning to do on the wiring and controls and some static from the pick guard. I had a friend slice a piece of bobinga to cover the pick guard and finished it to look as natural as possible. I made a new truss rod cover with a slice of curly black walnut for the head stock. Then I mounted a nice piece of turquoise to bring attention to the head stock. Fixed the action and thew on some .09 silver bullets. I will always keep this one oiled and in my collection.
This last Christmas I was in the market for something new and thought I was heading for a Les Paul, but after playing several, I leaned toward a Stratocaster. I ended up with an American mahogany HSS, which I am in love with.
I currently play through a Line-6 spider ll 1/12 75 watt amp which I plan to super size at some point. I would like something with 2/12's an at least 120 watts. Though I did play a concert at a 300 seat auditorium with a 30 watt Crate amp - 2 times. Hey, they said I could mic it, the liars. I chose the Line-6 for the weight (42 lbs), effects, speaker size and the $200. price tag when they were getting rid of the old stock.
I just refinished a 1984 Fender Japanese Strat to look like a new relic, and will age beautifully. I will eventually add pictures to this site.

I use a Boss looper, a DigiTech peddle with a whole lot of my own custom sounds and a Roland GR-20 synth for those added fill sounds.
I've done some live recording with a band a couple years ago and got hooked on the studio thing. I like to do guitar clinics to keep pushing me to try new things. I love the free lessons on YOUTUBE! I play my own stuff mainly, a jazzy, bluesy, acidic style with some slapping and popping added in when I find the zone. I used a pick sometimes and most of my fingers all the time. I dream of playing like Tuck, of Tuck and Patty.
If you made it this far, give me a shout. My name is Gary and I live in Colorado.

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Gary, welcome to the forum. Nice history you provided. Late starter here and close to the same age.

You are probably wondering where Warren found a picture of Peter Townsend in shorts - he won't tell us.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Welcome!

scgmhawk
February 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Welcome, Gary. Cheers!:beer:

Jimi75
February 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the Fret. you will like this place!

Brian Krashpad
February 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Welcome Gary!

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Great to have you with us, Gary! Lots of us old farts around here--I've got almost 3 years on you! Welcome!! :dude: :rockon:

peachhead
February 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Welcome, Gary, looking forward to some pics of that gear!

skintrade
February 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hey m8 welcome....... :beer:

evenkeel
February 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hey. Welcome to the gang. :bravo:

Suhnton
February 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Welcome Gary,

Sounds like you have some nice gear at your disposal.

Welcome.

There are a few of us in Colorado on The Fret.

I like Tuck Andress a lot, as well. That guy is a monster player. The cool thing about him is that when he records, he just plugs his guitar into the board and plays.

I have an old Sound Page from Guitar player, one of those little plastic records that came in GP in the 80s and early 90s of him demonstrating his technique. He was playing three distinct parts. Unbelievable. :master:

tung

I remember that issue. I went and saw Tuck & Pattie a good 15 years ago. Great playing and singing. Unfortunately, a lot of the audience at the back (which is where I was) spent more time talking to each other and drinking beers. I think people were more interested in being seen at the gig than actually enjoying it.

Sorry Gary for that rant, welcome again :) :)