PDA

View Full Version : Popular TV Shows You've Never Watched

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I am not a big TV watcher, but there are those shows that tend to be the talk of the office that even the non-TV watcher might catch.

Here are three that come to mind that I have never sat down to watch and in passing through the room, probably have not seen a total of 5 minutes.

American Idol
Dallas
Friends

Although I don't watch much TV, these are the ones I do or did make time to watch

Seinfeld
MASH
Cheers

and recently I started watching reruns of Two and a Half Men.

When I do watch TV I tend to watch the Discovery Channel, History Channel, and concerts on VH1 Classic. Oh, and I am a news freak. I think I stayed glued to the news for a year after 9/11.

Blaze
February 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM
As canadian we have translated americain series like Desperate Housewives,CSI etc, but i m not into translated stuff except for 24 that is well translate ..

From U.S TV i m watching Letterman , 24 current season , sometimes CCN and some sports events like Golf Masters , Tennis and Hockey of course..I like PBS and cultural or science channel .

Tone2TheBone
February 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Desperate Housewives was one of them. Never saw an episode. Sex in the City....same thing. Now MacGyver on the other hand..... ;)

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Desperate Housewives was one of them. Never saw an episode. Sex in the City....same thing. Now MacGyver on the other hand..... ;)

Yep, those are two more you could add to my list, but at their peak, I couldn't go into the office the next morning without a few people talking about them. If you didn't know what they were talking about, you would think they were discussing a neighbor or family member.

peachhead
February 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Most of the popular sitcoms now I have never seen. I watch NCIS and The Mentalist on purpose, and CSI by the ton (because it, like Law and Order, is on somewhere at any given time). Otherwise it's a crapshoot- whatever happens to be on when I sit down or whatever the rest of the family finds that I'm stuck with.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Lost, Boston Legal, Am. Idol, Sex in the City, a bunch of others. We are usually thurs night TV freaks, starting with Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, ER, and now continuing with Gray's Anatomy, and ER, and sometimes The Office and 30 Rock. Other than that, I like Austin City Limits and will join my wife to watch Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters sometimes, or I may skip and play guitar. It depends.

R_of_G
February 12th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I have also never seen an episode of Lost and from the descriptions I hear, it will probably stay that way. I've never seen a lot of things. There are not many shows currently in production that I do watch. Most of my tv watching is for sports, though we do periodically watch plenty of shows that are no longer on via DVD.

Suhnton
February 12th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Watched most of Season 1 of Lost before realizing the writers were making it up as they went along. Same with 24 - horrible stuff. Others I haven't seen:

The OC
Desperate Housewives
Sex In The City
ER
The L Word
American Idol

Ones I have watched all or most of, and enjoyed (for better or worse):

Ugly Betty
Damages
The Closer
CSI - all three versions
Friends

Old ones:
Black Adder
The Young Ones
Cheers

Also, caught a bit of Taxi (the one with Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd) once I got old enough to understand the jokes.

Kazz
February 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I have never watched more than 1 episode per season of American Idol....Just do not like the show...but classic rock night is usually fun...if I find out in advance what night that will be....else I just do not bother...Simon is an ***.

Dallas and 90210 I did not miss an episode....Dallas I was a kid and watched with my family....90210 I always watched before going out to party and play pool.

Current shows that I have never watched:

Lost
well I guess you have to know what is on to know what you are not watching LMAO.

I watch CSI - Las Vegas don't care for the other 2
Ghost Whisperer
Knight Rider (new series)
90210 (new series)
Smallville

Like strum I too watch alot of history channel, discovery channel, biography, modern marvels etc....but I have a Tivo...it is one of my guilty pleasures....but it means I can watch the shows I want to watch in my own time...and can fast forward through commercials....on the rare occasion that we watch a show live (as it actually airs) We let about 10 minutes of it play through before starting then that banks us up enough to where we can skip through the commercials.

NASCAR racing is a whole nother thing....come Sunday both the wife and I will be glued to the big screen for the last time so we can watch the Daytona 500.

(I sent an email around my work 2 weeks ago inquiring if anyone would be interested in buying a 65" rear projection big screen tv for $500, our bonus checks come in the first week in March so I figured if anyone would be interested they would want it with their bonus check....turns out one of the girls dads was looking for a bigger TV so she jumped all over it for him....I had to add an extra stip that they could not pick it up until the weekend AFTER Daytona LMAO)

Going to put that $500 with part of my bonus check to get us a new flat panel or DLP tv.

The 65" was given to us 2 years ago previous owner said something was wrong with it and we could have it free...picked it up and dropped it off at a local shop to get a quote...it was like $300 to get it fixed...so for $300 I got a nice big screen tv...and after 2 years of use made $200 of it....now that is a deal that even Strum will appreciate. :-)

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Ahh MacGyver! Only dude in the world that can create a radar from a piece of chewing gum and a pen.

oldguy
February 12th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Ahh MacGyver! Only dude in the world that can create a radar from a piece of chewing gum and a pen.

The "McGruber" parody on SNL cracks me up. I even liked the Super Bowl commercial where he says he legally changed his name to Pepsuber.

m64WxhzOozM

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM
The "McGruber" parody on SNL cracks me up. I even liked the Super Bowl commercial where he says he legally changed his name to Pepsuber.

m64WxhzOozM

Someone ought to tell that guy soda is bad for him. :)

marnold
February 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Someone ought to tell that guy soda is bad for him. :)
It doesn't matter because he gets blown up every episode anyway. Drink up!

Bloozcat
February 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Just about everything on network TV...

Really, no kidding. When the TV is on it's The History Channel, Discovery, ESPN & ESPN 2, SciFi, or a station with a movie that I haven't seen at least 20 times.

Since Seinfeld ended, the only popular "network" TV shows I've watched have been those that are in syndication and play every night of the week at a certain time. And, there's only one of those, Two and a Half Men, that I watch regularly (both re-run and Monday night). I've seen every Seinfeld episode too many times to count. When you can recite the part of each character before they do, it's time to move on. Same for M*A*S*H & Law & Order.

Something I've never understood. With the popularity of football in the US, why don't the networks run a "best of the week" game every Monday night or on Sunday afternoons? If you don't have the NFL Package your choice of games each Sunday of the season is VERY limited. I don't want to watch Dallas, Pittsburgh, and New England each week, but they seem to be on every Sunday so I have no choice. Think of all those other games that are played each week that could be re-run in different markets. I'd sure watch a re-run of a great football game that I couldn't see during the regular season before I'd ever watch anything else on network TV. The networks have been complaining that they lose viewership every year...well, DUH! Re-run the crap, don't re-run something people have proven they like to watch...:confused:

R_of_G
February 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Something I've never understood. With the popularity of football in the US, why don't the networks run a "best of the week" game every Monday night or on Sunday afternoons? If you don't have the NFL Package your choice of games each Sunday of the season is VERY limited. I don't want to watch Dallas, Pittsburgh, and New England each week, but they seem to be on every Sunday so I have no choice. Think of all those other games that are played each week that could be re-run in different markets. I'd sure watch a re-run of a great football game that I couldn't see during the regular season before I'd ever watch anything else on network TV. The networks have been complaining that they lose viewership every year...well, DUH! Re-run the crap, don't re-run something people have proven they like to watch...:confused:

I might watch it but only if it were my team and I wanted to see how they played. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't be all that interested in watching a game for which I already know the outcome. Once it got to what I know was the final score, what would be the point of watching since I know nothing else is really going to happen? I suspect many people would see it the same way. I could perhaps see it happening on a cable network, but I can't imagine an actual broadcast network would dedicate three hours of programming time to a game that already happened.

Bloozcat
February 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I might watch it but only if it were my team and I wanted to see how they played. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't be all that interested in watching a game for which I already know the outcome. Once it got to what I know was the final score, what would be the point of watching since I know nothing else is really going to happen? I suspect many people would see it the same way. I could perhaps see it happening on a cable network, but I can't imagine an actual broadcast network would dedicate three hours of programming time to a game that already happened.

We're talking about repeats here...

It doesn't matter what show it is, if you've seen it, you already know the outcome. That doesn't stop the networks from repeating shows all summer long (and a lot of those shows are so bad they shouldn't have been shown once, let alone twice). How many times have you watched a movie more than once? How many times have you watched a favorite show more than once?

So why not put on the best game played each week during the season as a repeat in the summer. I might know the outcome, but I don't know how the game was played...beyond the couple of lousy clips I get from the network sport shows. Everytime I've mentioned this idea to someone (until now), I got a positive response to the idea...and I've mentioned it many, many times (of course it's been only to football watchers).

Here's the bottom line: Re-runs of terrible network shows -or- re-runs of the best football game played each week of the regular season. It's a no brainer for me. Same for my wife too, and she doesn't even watch much football (but a lot less network TV).

I'm a footbal fan. It doesn't always have to be my favorite team I'm watching for me to enjoy it, but can be another team (or two) that I like as well. Goes for college and pros alike.

oldguy
February 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
That's the problem, Blooz.......... everyone's different, the networks have no idea what to put on the air. I'm not a football fan, but I'd think your idea would be a win/win for those who are.
Here we have only cable, I would watch classic comedies and westerns if they were offered, but they're not.
There are 2 public television stations I like, but reruns come around pretty quick....... still I'll watch the reruns if they're good, much as I assume you would football games, if they were good games.
Here, though...............
Mostly crappy reality shows, which for the most part I loathe......... I can't think of a single one right now I'd watch. I'd turn the television off first (which is probably as it should be anyway, I could be practicing guitar).:D

Bloozcat
February 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
That's the problem, Blooz.......... everyone's different, the networks have no idea what to put on the air. I'm not a football fan, but I'd think your idea would be a win/win for those who are.
Here we have only cable, I would watch classic comedies and westerns if they were offered, but they're not. Mostly crappy reality shows, which for the most part I loathe......... I can't think of a single one right now I'd watch. I'd turn the television off first (which is probably as it should be anyway, I could be practicing guitar).:D

Granted, it could be problematic as to which game to show. If the networks follow their usual instincts, they'd probably have Dallas on every week just like they do during the regular season...:D

Which ever game they put on though, I think it'll make at least some football fans somewhere happy who aren't now.

Too bad about your cable system oldguy. At least our basic plus cable here (the choice most people have as basic) has TV land with old TV shows like The Honeymooners, and I love Lucy, to name just a couple. Saturday mornings are all westerns on AMC. And there are enough channels playing movies each night that you'll occasionally get to see some older classics.

But you're right, instead of watching TV (or falling asleep in front of it as I do), we'd be better off practicing guitar...:AOK:

R_of_G
February 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
It doesn't matter what show it is, if you've seen it, you already know the outcome. That doesn't stop the networks from repeating shows all summer long (and a lot of those shows are so bad they shouldn't have been shown once, let alone twice). How many times have you watched a movie more than once? How many times have you watched a favorite show more than once?

But they air re-runs mostly for the people who didn't see it the first time. If I missed an episode of a regular show it's not like I'd see the outcome on ESPN and in the sports pages. I'd just catch it when it was re-run. With sports, once it happens, I don't personally think I'd watch it if it were replayed if I know the outcome. Then again, I'm only one person. Maybe more people think it's a good idea.

And I agree wholeheartedly that networks air many many shows that shouldn't be on at all. :D

oldguy
February 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
But they air re-runs mostly for the people who didn't see it the first time. If I missed an episode of a regular show it's not like I'd see the outcome on ESPN and in the sports pages. I'd just catch it when it was re-run. With sports, once it happens, I don't personally think I'd watch it if it were replayed if I know the outcome. Then again, I'm only one person. Maybe more people think it's a good idea.

And I agree wholeheartedly that networks air many many shows that shouldn't be on at all. :D

Here I go comparing apples and oranges, but one of my favorite sports to watch is boxing (I know, violent sport, boxers suffer brain damagee, blah, blah, blah........ I still like to watch it).
Anyway, I've watched reruns, especially of old matches, time and time again. I knew the outcome, but still, if it was (IMO), a really good match I'd watch it again.
I love the old matches featuring Jack Johnson, Floyd Patterson, Joe Louis, etc. I've also seen reruns of "Raging Bull", "Cinderella Man", etc. and watch them whenever they're on.
I'd guess Bloozcat might do the same with really kicka$$ football games seen before? Especially if a couple key plays were missed the first time around.

Bloozcat
February 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM

That's a valid point R_of_G...

It certainly wouldn't be for everyone, but for many it sure would be better than re-runs of really bad shows. I suppose that The NFL Network is the place to go for that, but Comcast and the NFL are in a childish pi**ing contest about the cost of carrying the station. I'm not going to pay extra just to get the NFL network, and they're not going to price it where Comcast feels they can air it profitably as part of the regular cable programming.

Here I go comparing apples and oranges, but one of my favorite sports to watch is boxing (I know, violent sport, boxers suffer brain damagee, blah, blah, blah........ I still like to watch it).
Anyway, I've watched reruns, especially of old matches, time and time again. I knew the outcome, but still, if it was (IMO), a really good match I'd watch it again.
I love the old matches featuring Jack Johnson, Floyd Patterson, Joe Louis, etc. I've also seen reruns of "Raging Bull", "Cinderella Man", etc. and watch them whenever they're on.

I'm the same with boxing. I watch the classic fights all the time when ESPN airs them. Not to find out who won (which I obviously already know), but just to see a classic contest again.

R_of_G
February 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I suppose that The NFL Network is the place to go for that, but Comcast and the NFL are in a childish pi**ing contest about the cost of carrying the station. I'm not going to pay extra just to get the NFL network, and they're not going to price it where Comcast feels they can air it profitably as part of the regular cable programming.

Don't even get me started on NFL Network. I think it's appalling that the league allows games to be shown on a channel that is not available to every single fan. Whether or not I would pay for that channel aside, I don't even have the option as mine is a cable system that doesn't have it available even if I did want to pay for it. This past season I had to miss the Jets beating the Patriots in New England because of it and I was furious. The whole thing is a joke.

Bloozcat
February 13th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Don't even get me started on NFL Network. I think it's appalling that the league allows games to be shown on a channel that is not available to every single fan. Whether or not I would pay for that channel aside, I don't even have the option as mine is a cable system that doesn't have it available even if I did want to pay for it. This past season I had to miss the Jets beating the Patriots in New England because of it and I was furious. The whole thing is a joke.

One of my favorite sayings because it so often leads to the truth:

Follow the money trail...

On the same topic, I haven't been exactly happy with ESPN and their "ESPNU" channel either, for the same reasons.

R_of_G
February 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
On the same topic, I haven't been exactly happy with ESPN and their "ESPNU" channel either, for the same reasons.

I get ESPNU, thank goodness. They play a lot of college hockey which I could watch all day. I could understand being upset about not getting it on your cable system. I would be if I didn't get it.

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
To follow up. I was sick over the weekend and while I was in bed suffering I watched an entire episode of Desparate Housewives. First time ever. It was actually entertaining. Could have been the meds or the high fever. I also watched an entire episode of Scrubs. Never saw it and found that one to be mildly entertaining in a stupid way. So I guess I'll start giving other shows a chance.

just strum
February 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
...It was actually entertaining. Could have been the meds or the high fever.

You can get the same results by watching the female news anchors on the Spanish channel - we can rule out meds and fever.

SuperSwede
February 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
To follow up. I was sick over the weekend and while I was in bed suffering I watched an entire episode of Desparate Housewives. First time ever. It was actually entertaining. Could have been the meds or the high fever. I also watched an entire episode of Scrubs. Never saw it and found that one to be mildly entertaining in a stupid way. So I guess I'll start giving other shows a chance.

Falcon Crest? :D

I havent seen too many episodes of Desperate Housewifes but I too have to admit that I enjoyed it... same with Dr House, not bad at all.

Algonquin
February 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I don't think I've seen an episode of any of the following shows. I'll likely watch the Sopranos at some point, but it will have to be from Seaon one forward.

-House
-TheSopranos
-Desp. Housewives
-Sex and the City

Cottonwood King
February 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM
My wife and I started to watch scrubs, since they had the seasons on DVD at the library, but they didn't have season 3, so we stopped there, haha. I've never watched:

Lost
House (the newer ones, I've seen first and second season)
Desperate Housewives
Sex and the City
Seinfeld
MASH
many more

I just don't watch TV. And now, if I do, it's usually time warp or myth busters on discovery. Also, I really am wanting to watch battle star gallactica. I also love that 70s show, probably my favorite sitcom. I think that's partly because I grew up in Northeastern Wisconsin, so the humor is great!

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I'll likely watch the Sopranos at some point, but it will have to be from Seaon one forward.

I didn't watch it when it was on because I don't have HBO, but we started watching it on DVD via Netflix. I loved the first three seasons and then hit the wall with Season 4. I started to dislike it and then outright hated it. I stopped watching after that. My wife continued to get the DVD's and she liked most of Season 5. By the final season she was watching because she felt compelled to see it to the end but she didn't like it anymore at that point.

And Cottonwood King, wow, never seeing Seinfeld? I can't imagine what my life would be like if that were the case. I doubt I could (or would want to) count how many times I've watched every episode of that show. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

Tone2TheBone
February 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
You can get the same results by watching the female news anchors on the Spanish channel - we can rule out meds and fever.

No lie. Telemundo's got some nice lookin' babes.

Bloozcat
February 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
No lie. Telemundo's got some nice lookin' babes.

Si, muy caliente!