PDA

View Full Version : More on Lace Sensor Golds

TS808
February 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I got my Lace Sensor Golds tonight (pre-wired pickguard) and dropped them in one of my American strats tonight.

I really like them...whoever described them as "sterile" was dead wrong. I really like the tone...warmer than a standard single coil, and the sustain is much better.

They are not as hot as a standard single coil, but believe it or not, I prefer that in a pickup....I played the strat through both my Delta Blues and Blackheart Handsome Devil tonight and so far, so good. I'd highly recommend them. I'm going to drop a second set in my other strat tomorrow night probably.

snarph
February 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
no doubt it you either love lace pickups or you dont I like them but on the other hand if I am really going for it I use standard single coils I have both

TS808
March 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
no doubt it you either love lace pickups or you dont I like them but on the other hand if I am really going for it I use standard single coils I have both

I agree...the honeymoon period is over now and I'm realizing I like the stock single coil pickups better than the lace sensors. The sensors are nice pickups, but missing a little bit of top end and aren't as hot as the American Series single coils.

markb
March 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I find all the noiseless strat and tele pickups lack a bit of snap and twang. Not a bad sound, just not the glassy tones I expect from a Fender.

TS808
March 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I find all the noiseless strat and tele pickups lack a bit of snap and twang. Not a bad sound, just not the glassy tones I expect from a Fender.

What I noticed too is that the Lace Sensors don't have much output..not very hot at all. My amps sounded like they were on 1/2 power at times, and the Lace Sensors really pick up alot of feedback from my amps, more so than regular single coils.

They aren't bad pickups by any means, and I'm going to leave them on my MIM strat, but my American strats are going back to stock.

Spudman
March 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I have one Strat with 2 golds and a red. True they don't sound "classic" but I love the noiseless factor. In a band situation they seem to project just fine. The most noticeable change for me was the lack of string pull from the pickups. The strings vibrate longer and easier and it takes less effort to activate them. It's a different playing experience for sure and not a bad one by any means.

tunghaichuan
March 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
One thing to consider is that the Lace sensors have less magnetic pull than standard strats. You may want to adjust them so that they are as close to the strings as possible when fretting all the strings at the 21st or 22nd fret. This may improve your output.

tung

What I noticed too is that the Lace Sensors don't have much output..not very hot at all. My amps sounded like they were on 1/2 power at times, and the Lace Sensors really pick up alot of feedback from my amps, more so than regular single coils.

They aren't bad pickups by any means, and I'm going to leave them on my MIM strat, but my American strats are going back to stock.

TS808
March 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I have one Strat with 2 golds and a red. True they don't sound "classic" but I love the noiseless factor. In a band situation they seem to project just fine. The most noticeable change for me was the lack of string pull from the pickups. The strings vibrate longer and easier and it takes less effort to activate them. It's a different playing experience for sure and not a bad one by any means.

I agree..they really don't sound bad...it was just I couldn't get used to the "different" factor. I'm keeping the set on my MIM strat (red, silver, and blue).