PDA

View Full Version : Washburn Mando! (?)

Brian Krashpad
February 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I recall there's a lot of Washburn geetar players here, wanted your input, local Craigslist has a Washburn electric mandolin for $85. At that price even if it's their cheapest model, I don't see how I could go wrong short of it being in two pieces or something. Sorry, no pic or model info at present.

Wot sayest thou, oh mighty washouts?

wingsdad
February 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking that 'Washburn' is an Oscar Schmidt by Washburn.

The only Washburn Mando I know of that comes with a pickup is the M3SWE, an F Style (florentine) body, solid woods, that lists for over a Grand. It has an active (under saddle) p/u w/ preamp on the top side of the body.

On the other hand, the Oscar Schmidt OM10E is a laminated wood A-Style ('teardrop') body with a passive p/u, vol/tone controls on the face. It lists for around $300 and can usually be had new for half that or a bit more.

That's the more likely one for $85. It's more than decent as a starter mando. I had one, and felt I got the hang of the little beast good enough to upgrade to a Washburn M6SW (solid woods F-Style, non-elelctric).

If it's the M3Sw, then steal it fast for $85.

In a nutshell, you just won't get loud, 'ringing' mando tone from a lam wood model like you will from a solid carved maple b/s, solid spruce top model, but that matters little if its juiced.

Brian Krashpad
February 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Ah, I hadn't thought of the ol' Schmidt/Washburn possibility (I'm sussed to Squier/Fender and Epi/Gibson, but am out of my depth with acoustics or A/E's).

Thanks. My dad is reclaiming his mandolin after years of me having it, and this would be a fun cheap replacement I could even use in a band.

Brian Krashpad
February 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Did some poking around the 'net. The Oscar Schmitt OM-10E is streeting from between $195 and $230 new, so it seems like a good deal so long as it works.

http://proaudiomusic.com/images/om10e.gif

wingsdad
February 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Yep, if it's an OM10E, and the pickup works, you'll have some fun with it, for sure, and that's a good price.

I took up learning the mando as another color for my palette with an '03 version of the OM10E I got as a Winter NAMM '04 special deal (50% of List) at my Local GAS Station. Chinese-made:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Acoustics%20Post%20size/OscarMando.jpg

As you see, at that time the single coil pickup was mounted under the hood, which gave it's plugged-in sound more of an acoustic/electric guitar thing, picking up the body's tone and the strings indirectly. They started mounting it on top, I think, a year later, and having tinkered with one at the store, it's got more of a semi-hollow electric guitar character.

I learned enuff with it such that a year later, when my dealer got the '05 NAMM stuff in, I opted to trade it back to move up to this, a Korean-made '04Washburn M6SW, a/k/a the 'Jethro Burns' signature model, knocked off its perch as top-of-the-line a year later, and subsequently, discontinued:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Washburn%20M6SW/M6SW_0511.jpg

sunvalleylaw
February 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I would love to get a mando someday, and it would have to be one of the inexpensive ones above. That would be fine though for me. My guitar instructor is an excellent mando player, and he, on the other hand, has a very nice Gilchirst. Hoo boy! Is that thing pretty! I would be scared to play it!

wingsdad
November 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Due to personal health and family issues that have developed since April of this year, I'm forced to sell much of my guitar collection to cover medical bills and other mounting debts.

Among the pieces for sale is this:

this... Korean-made '04Washburn M6SW, a/k/a the 'Jethro Burns' signature model, knocked off its perch as top-of-the-line a year later, and subsequently, discontinued:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Washburn%20M6SW/M6SW_0511.jpgIt comes with a Stagg black tolex covered fitted for f-style mando hardshell case.

PM me if interested. Make a reasonable offer.

thanks.

Brian Krashpad
November 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Due to personal health and family issues that have developed since April of this year, I'm forced to sell much of my guitar collection to cover medical bills and other mounting debts.

Among the pieces for sale is this:

It comes with a Stagg black tolex covered fitted for f-style mando hardshell case.

PM me if interested. Make a reasonable offer.

thanks.

I'm sorry to hear you're having to sell things off. Unfortunately I dropped a bundle on health care this year as well, and haven't bought any pieces (except a couple to flip) in a year (one of which I'm still trying to sell).

I susbsequently sold the Washburn mando referenced in the OP, after I got a Fender A/E mando. As I play in bands I'd need an A/E model anyhow. Good luck with selling it.

lou
November 29th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Great looking Mando Wings and very sorry to hear about your situation but I also just spent myself out with a new guitar and a big screen TV. I am pulling for you and hope that you manage to sell it and you should maybe check in the other site and see if magoo or one of the other mando players could be interested.Best of luck bud.lou

Beerman
November 29th, 2011, 03:40 PM
PM sent.

kidsmoke
December 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Great looking Mando Wings and very sorry to hear about your situation but I also just spent myself out with a new guitar and a big screen TV. I am pulling for you and hope that you manage to sell it and you should maybe check in the other site and see if magoo or one of the other mando players could be interested.Best of luck bud.lou

I could see Magoo going for this. I'll share.

wingsdad
December 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Tio, Lou. I haven't been to the Wash Forum in ages. Appreciate you passing it on.

Right now, it's hanging in the store I bought it from since this past Sunday on consignment along with my Sheraton II and Schecter Blackjack S-1.

If he'd want it, put him in touch with me somehow and we'd go from there. It's not inexpensive. The MSRP when I bought it new in 04 was around $1,300. Obviously, that's not what I paid for it.

wingsdad
December 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Here's a couple of more photos:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Washburn%20M6SW/IMG_0481c.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Washburn%20M6SW/IMG_0479c.jpg

lou
December 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Lets hope that someone there or here wants it quick.lou