PDA

View Full Version : Ceriatone Overtone Special

Bloozcat
February 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Now I really know I'm insane....

I have been so impressed with the tone of the Ceriatone Overdrive Special that I decided that I would have to get one...eventually.

Well, eventually has a way of sneaking up on you it seems...

I was innocently searching The Gear Page Amps Emporium (more like, "just asking for trouble") when I happened upon a used, mint condition Ceriatone OTS. Seems the owner has a case of GAS for another guitar, and needs to raise the necessary funds to satisfy his addiction. Well, as I've often said, addiction loves company, so in I rushed where angels fear to tread.

Anyway, there's a mint condition Ceriatone Overtone Special that'll be headed my way in a couple of weeks.

I'm so ashamed of myself... I'm just dirt....(but happy dirt...;) )

Don't worry oldguy, I only partially blame you for this...nah, more like I owe you a beer if I ever get to see you...:AOK:

duhvoodooman
February 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
You're insane. ;)

Bloozcat
February 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
You're insane. ;)

Thank you, I resemble that remark...;)

This insanity is getting really expensive...:eek:

marnold
February 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Tis madness, but there's a method to it.

May I be the first to say "clips!"

just strum
February 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Don't worry oldguy, I only partially blame you for this...nah, more like I owe you a beer if I ever get to see you...:AOK:

Even putting partial blame on someone else helps take away some guilt. Besides, it's about time OG gets blamed for something.

Congrats.

mrmudcat
February 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I hope to build one soon ,but the bass50 head 1986x:beer:

Bloozcat
February 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I hope to build one soon ,but the bass50 head 1986x:beer:

I've thought about building an 18 Watt as afirst project, but this OTS is much more complicated than I would feel comfortable tackling. Tung maybe, me no.

I'll enjoy reading about your project when you start it mrmudcat...:AOK:

oldguy
February 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Congratulations, Bloozcat, that's great news!:AOK: :AOK:

Welcome to the club.:D
I'm glad to be found guilty on this one, and I'll tell you why............
You're finally gonna get to hear what I can't explain in words, and can't capture in a laptop vid or clip. Kind of like a beautiful sunset I photographed, you had to be there to see it in 3-D to get the full effect.....

If you've heard a good Super Reverb really cranked, we're getting close, but the OTS has no reverb, I'm referring to the slightly overdriven transparent clean tones a Super can get. Then add even more sweet harmonic overtones, in-your-face sustain, and you're about there. It has an ambience about it that's almost 3 dimensional, esp. on chords. If you need more depth, stick a reverb or delay pedal in front of it, it loves pedals.
You'll have enough control knob tweaking to keep you busy for awhile, but I'd suggest setting everything on 5 (except the Master Volume, start w/ it on 1 or you'll blow your head off), guitar in the NOR(mal) input, all 3 switches in the down position........I'm just suggesting, here.
You can then tweak to your heart's content, and the sound will change. Not "change" as in modelling/digital sound change. Change as in "good gawd!" tube tone you manipulate not only for that sweet spot in the control panel, but in your guitar volume/tone knobs, your fingers on the strings, how hard you dig into the strings, how gently you caress them, what you translate to the instrument from your head and heart.....................:)
Crank the preamp, lower the gain, you can get slightly gritty on the clean side and down and dirty on the OD channel. OR.........
Back off the preamp, crank the gain just a tad, you can get crystal clean, big , fat, thumping tone, then step on the OD switch for a smooth bluesy sound (this is one of my favorites), similar to that big fat Fender Super tone I mentioned switching to a slightly cranked, gritty JTM45.
As I PM'd you, I do feel the "boost" function makes the amph sound a little too dark for my taste, unless you use the guitar's tone knobs and/or pickups to compensate, but alot of that depends on your EQ settings on the OTS as well. You can set the amph a tad bright w/o the boost on, roll back the tone controls on the guitar a little, then hit the boost and open the tone controls, and you essentially have 4 sounds from the amph.
1. Clean
2. Clean/boosted
3. Overdrive
4. Overdrive/boosted
I have not changed a single thing on mine since I bought it, not a tube swap, not the internal OD trimpot, nothing........... I've just played it, played it, played it, and the sounds get better........owners on the Ceriatone forum say it needs to "burn in" for hours to sound it's best. I thought that was BS, but I'm starting to believe it now myself. Usually by now I'd have been tinkering with something to coax "more" out of the amp......... I have with every other one I own, but not the OTS, it sounds the way I want my amp to sound. Like my old BF Super, or the JTM I played @ the local music store a couple weeks back, though none of the three sound exactly like the others, they all have "that" sound.
(Sadly, though, I must ashamedly admit my Super needs a cap job and thorough going over, and I've waffled over it far too long, trying to find a really good amp tech that knows the AB763 inside and out, and whom I can trust...............)
Oh, my,
I'm rambling on again.........senior moment...........sorry.

Blooz..........
When it arrives, wire it up to a good cab, tune up your favorite guitar, crank it just enough to NOT annoy your neighbors, and strum a nice, fat chord.
Then we'll both be smiling..........:D :D :D

oldguy
February 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Kind of like if we were sitting at the lake together, having a couple beers, and looking at this in real life, in 3-D.:D

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154922a80ee4ad4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=813)

Blaze
February 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hey congrats Blooz , I thought you would go more in a JTM45 in your quest of Duane s tone but this is a good sounding amp as we can hear here :

6xD4Z4jous0

oldguy
February 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Yep, that's the Sammi and Marin version OTS. Those guys and Jack Zucker have some of the best OTS vids out there. Very nice playing!

Bloozcat
February 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all of your input and encouragement, oldguy. I don't think I've ever heard another amp that has the versatility and pure tone as this amp. Certainly, not at anything approaching a reasonable price. When I say "reasonable price" I mean when you step up to that level of quality and craftmanship that truly distinguishes an amp as "professional equipment".

For starters, I'm going to try it out through my Avatar semi-open back cab with the 2-G12H30's in it. I expect that it may sound just a tad dark with maybe some attenuated highs. From there, I might try mixing a V30 (or a WGS Veteran 30) with one of the G12H30's. I haven't heard anything but praise for this combination, not just with the Ceriatone OTS, but with many others as well. The 1X12" and 2X12" G-12-65 set up is another that's highly touted by OTS owners. The only negative I hear about this, is that you lose some of the high frequency, something that does not happen with the G12H30/V30 combination it seems. I even heard a sound clip with 2-Jensen C12N's that sounded really sweet. I have a pair of the fine Weber Ferromax C12N's that I might try out as well.

BTW: I know what you mean about that sunset picture, oldguy. After taking about 150 pictures while in Alaska this past summer, I found myself saying repeatedly as I showed them to others, "you really had to be there to appreciate the whole 3-dimensional picture..."

Blazes:
Yeah, I was looking seriously at a JTM45 clone, but this amp will cover that Duane tone and so much more. The JTM45, while a great amp, is known for a more singular tone where the OTS is known for such versatility and "tweakability".

My new Guitarforce Lord of the Blues humbuckers should be arriving about the same time as the OTS. The pickups can get that Duane tone and EC Bluesbreaker tone with the right amp, so I think I'm really going to be in tonal Nirvana soon...:D

I think I've listened to just about every YouTube clip on this amp, plus all the others on the Ceriatone Forum. I only hope my playing sounds half as good as some of those guys.....:)

Katastrophe
February 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Congrats! I'll bet that Agile will sound awesome through that amph.

M29
February 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Congrats Blooz:AOK: Nothing like having it all come together. :rockon:

Bloozcat
February 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Congrats Blooz:AOK: Nothing like having it all come together. :rockon:

Thanks, M29...

The pressure will be on now! I'm going to have to live up to the level of the equipment. I have this feeling though, that playing will become just that much more enjoyable that I'll really want to get better. :)

oldguy
February 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks, M29...

The pressure will be on now! I'm going to have to live up to the level of the equipment. I have this feeling though, that playing will become just that much more enjoyable that I'll really want to get better. :)

You'll hear every subtle nuance in your playing.............I know that's almost a cliche'd phrase now, but it's true. It will make you a better player, IMO.
Perhaps I should say I believe I've become a better player, working to play cleaner, less sloppy, more focused.

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I saw that amph in the Emporium & thought about the tones that Old Guy gets. I agree that looking at the TGP Emporium is just asking for trouble, but I didn't buy that amp. ;)

Bloozcat
February 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
OK, the wait is killing me...

Breath deeply into the paper bag...relax, and listen to yet another Overtone Special clip...

It's only two more days to this tone....
fo0cNaudQTo&feature=related

oldguy
February 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
So today is the day, then??????
:pancake:

Bloozcat
February 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
So today is the day, then??????
:pancake:

Ah, that wonderful phrase....

"On FedEx vehicle for delivery..." :AOK:*

*Edited for accuracy...:D

oldguy
February 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hang in there, Blooz....... "we're all pullin' for 'ya".......:D

Bloozcat
February 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hang in there, Blooz....... "we're all pullin' for 'ya".......:D

When I sent payment to the seller, I specifically, and emphatically asked that he not ship the amp "delivery signature confirmation required" because I would not be home to sign for it. Well, despite my instructions, when I first checked the package tracking online, it stated "delivery signature confirmation required" on the page.

So, I called FedEx and got what I believe is their absolute worst customer service rep. Clueless wouldn't even begin to describe him. He couldn't offer any kind of a rational explanation for their signature policy, let alone offer any options that might help me. I e-mailed the seller, and although he was very apologetic about not complying with my request that he not add the signature requirement when he sent the package, there wasn't anything he could do to change it once it was in FedEx's hands. FedEx company policy, and all that rubbish.

Sooo, I tried something that had worked in the past. I typed up a letter to the FedEx driver asking that he leave the package at my request and on my responsibility. I signed the letter and included a clear picture of my drivers license as proof of identity. That ought to work, I thought.

Nope...that didn't work either. At 1:44 pm the driver entered a note that appeared on the tracking page stating, "customer not available at time of delivery". So, I called FedEx again. This time I got a very competent woman CSR on the phone who was able to explain the signature policy and the options (of which there were none), and basically said in as nice a way as possible the equivalent of "tough luck Charlie".

The only saving grace in this fiasco is that since the package was shipped on a Tuesday, the delivery week is Tuesday through Saturday and not Monday through Friday as it would have been if the package went out on Monday. Fortunately, I can be home tomorrow which is not always the case (although I hadn't planned on hanging around the house all day waiting for FedEx).

FedEx's distribution center is located in West Palm Beach, which is 45 miles from my home. So they shipped my package 45 miles to my home, and now 45 miles back to their distribution center, only to have to ship it another 45 miles back to my home tomorrow - a total distance of 135 miles for a "local delivery". Let's see, 45 miles to make the delivery, or 135 miles to make the delivery :confused:. FedEx isn't exactly my favorite shipper right now. :whatever:

oldguy
February 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear that..... I've been through it more than once myself, and it does pi$$ a guy off bigtime. I've had words with UPS and Musician's Friend (which is why I'm no longer on their mailing list, and don't plan on being back on it), and FedEx. Always over "policy", lack of customer support, or basically being lied to..........anyway, best of luck to you, I hope you get your amp tomorrow.

mrmudcat
February 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
They are all starting to sux hardcore!:whatever:

tot_Ou_tard
February 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Waiting for delivery confirmation...;)

Bloozcat
February 21st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Well, I can certainly understand rules, but there are two customers in a transaction like this, and no acommodations are made for the party at the receiving end.

The only option FedEx offered me was to hold the package at their distribution center where I could pick it up. Their distribution center is 45 miles away (or better). That's hardly "home delivery" as stated on the tracking site. The much maligned UPS - whom I've had no problems with - has an office about 5-miles from me and another 3-miles from where I work.

Comically, as I'm waiting for this amp to finally arrive, I've been having visions of my package floating up on the shore of a desert isle and Tom Hanks picking it up and using it for a table or something. And I'll bet that FedEx thought that movie was a good advertising vehicle for their business...:rolleyes:

Morning update: On FedEx vehicle for delivery. Once more unto the breach, Dear friends, once more...

oldguy
February 21st, 2009, 07:10 AM
I've got a good feeling about today............. I'm gonna go fire mine up and start the "Delivery Dance" song that I just finished making up on purpose in my head.........:crazyguy:
This waiting's drivin' me crazy, too, Blooz. Post or pm me or something when it gets there.

M29
February 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
:poke: :poke:

Bloozcat
February 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Ok,Ok....the amp arrived on Saturday, safe and sound. This is the first chance to post anything about it, and I've had very little time to play with it so far. I hate it when a new toy comes in and there's no time for it. All day and into the evening Saturday, and all day and into the evening Sunday I was busy...:mad:

All I can say at this point is that the amp is in like new condition, everything works, and that it came with 2-Tung Sol re-issue 6L6GC's and three JJ 12AX7's.

I'll have about an hour this evening to try it some more. I just got word that my new Guitarforce, Lord of the Blues humbuckers are shipping today, so this Saturday when I'll have all day to myself, I'll be putting both new toys to the test...:beer:

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
OK, I've had the amp for a little over a week now and I've had some tome to play with it (but not nearly enough!).

When I first got the amp, I fiddled with it in various settings and found the tone to be a bit flat, dark, farty, and somewhat fizzy. The tube complement in the amp consisted of two Tung-Sol 6L6GC's and three JJ 12AX7's. I'm not a big fan of JJ 12AX7's, and I've read that this amp really responds well to pre-amp tube changes, so I thought I'd give that a shot. I replaced the JJ's with NOS Tesla (not JJ) E83CC's in V1 & V2, and an NOS GE 12AX7WA in V3. WOW, what a difference, is all I can say! It was like lifting a wet blanket off the amp.

My initial impression after the tube change is that this amp is a very complex piece of equipment...to say the least. Subtle little changes in the EQ can create big changes in tone. I've never had another amp where I could set the EQ controls for a basic flat response and get such truly balanced tone. All my other amps require tweaks for each guitar I plug into it. Tweaking the EQ certainly does enhance the amps response to certain guitars, but I was still quite surprised at how even the tonal response was with a flat EQ setting accross the board. At the advice of another who owns an Overtone Special, I set the controls as follows for my initial testing:

Volume - 5
Bright switch - off
Deep switch - off
Jazz/Rock switch -Rock
Treble - 5
Middle - 5
Bass - 5
Level (distortion) - 5
Ratio (") - 5
Master - 2.5
Presence - 3

Avatar 2X12 cabinet with 2-Celestion G12H30 reissues (made in England) used.
BTW: These speaker are very efficient, so this setting is loud...like small club gig loud.

This amp has a presence that is big, bold, clear, and articulate. It is very responsive to pick attack and subtle nuances in playing technique. At the same time, it is also unforgiving of mistakes. It picks up everything your hands do on the fretboard. It forces you to concentrate on how you manipulate the strings. By forcing myself to slow the normal pace at which I play and concentrating on each note, I've found tonal nuances that I've not experienced with other amps. The way the notes swell and sustain is something really beautiful. I've always had to resort to pedals to get that long sustain that blooms to the point of controlled feedback, but this amp alone does it with ease. All it takes is a subtle change in the direction I face in relation to the speakers. It is often said (and we've all heard it), that one note played really well can move you more that a bucketful of notes played really fast, no mater how well they're played. This amp really defines that notion. Hitting just a few notes just right through this amp and allowing that last one to bloom into a lingering sustain is the stuff that brings tears to the eyes. Sweet tonal bliss...

Another really pleasant feature is in how this amp responds to my guitars volume and tone controls. With the volume and tone at full, I was getting a great hard rock to classic rock type tone with humbuckers, and by rolling off the volume pot in varying degrees the tone went from rock, to thick warm blues at the edge of distortion, to a thick clear tone. Rolling off the tone control changed the treble attack of the pickup from bright, biting hard rock, to warmer classic rock, to warm blues, to a jazz tone. Full volume and rolled off tone produced a Santana-like tone. I'm sure that the Vitamin Q PIO caps I installed have something to do with this, but they alone didn't produce this tone in my other amps.

I had never truly experienced the full capabilities of the Highorder pickups that I have in my Agile 2800 DLX with my other amps either. My Epi Blues Custom 30 came closest, but it's far from this amp. The bridge pickup with its A2 magnet finally sounds like the PAF humbucker it's designed to be. From Mike Bloomfield like tones to Gary Moore, it all comes out through this amp. My Ibanez Artcore AS73 with the Truetone Technologies PAF's finally projects that warm, thick, and fat 335 tone. And what fun it is to play with the controlled feedback with that one! I purposely put off installing the new Guitarforce Lord of the Blues pickups in my Agile AD 3000M this weekend so that I could get a feel for the tone of the guitar with the stock Agile A5 pickups. They are most definitely rockin A5's and sound great through this amp. But now that I've played the guitar stock for a while, I'm ready to try the new pickups. I really prefer the tone of a good PAF style humbucker over the grainier, thicker, and heavier tone of the A5 magnet humbuckers. And now that I have an amp that really gives life to that PAF tone, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm convinced that the elusive Duane tone I've been craving is in the combination of the LOTB pickups and this amp.

I have not had the time yet to really sit down and dial in the Strat tones I'm looking for. But, I know from the many videos I've seen on YouTube with Strats played through this amp, it's just a matter of tweaking until I find them.

Later in the week I'll be getting a WGS Veteran 30 speaker that I plan to pair with a G12H30. It'll be interesting to see how that combination enhances the tone of this amp. A single or 2X12 cabinet with Celestion G12-65's (or WGS ET65's) is probably the most popular with this amp, but this speaker combo seems to be second most popular (and pretty universal with a lot of amps).

We all know that tone is in the hands, and that no amount of spending on equipment can make up for that. But...better equipment does get you closer, and in this case it forces the player to get better to meet its standards. And better equipment can create the desire to apply one's self toward the goal of becoming a better musician. I know this amp has renewed my desire....:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Your descriptions pretty much match my ideal amph.

Balanced frequency response, dynamic, touch sensitive, individual notes have character & bloom, nuanced, the amp rewards subtle variations played well & punishes poor playing.

I'll pm you my address so you can send it here to see if I agree with your assesments. ;)

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Your descriptions pretty much match my ideal amph.

Balanced frequency response, dynamic, touch sensitive, individual notes have character & bloom, nuanced, the amp rewards subtle variations played well & punishes poor playing.

I'll pm you my address so you can send it here to see if I agree with your assesments. ;)

"No one's getting my amp..."

He said with the crazed look of a mother grizzly protecting her cub. :D

These amps are really deserving of the hype that surrounds them. The whole, does it sound like a Dumble or doesn't it, is moot. I'm sure it sounds like one of the Dumbles Howard made, but since they're all purported to be uniquely voiced for the individual client's tonal taste (in true boutique fashion) who knows which one? Or for that matter, who cares? Not me. All I know is, this amp delivers the goods. Sure, it's more than I've ever spent on an amp before, but even at that it's still less than a whole bunch of other "boutique" amps I've seen. They all should sound this good...

Of course, the purchase of an amp like this is a little like actually finding the holy grail. It's the end of the road. The quest is complete. I have found perfection....and quite frankly, it's making me look a little bad right now...:D

oldguy
March 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
The longer you play it, the more you'll like it. I least I do mine. The even order harmonics and full, fat sound, clean or distorted, are great.
I have amps I like the overdrive side on, and the cleans are good...........
but I love the overdrive on this one, and the cleans are great.
Glad you found the preamp tubes improved the sound. I haven't changed a thing on mine yet. I couldn't imagine it sounding better, but I may give it a go sometime.
I know what you mean about the basic sound of the amp........ I always tweaked my others between guitars. I don't do that much now. If it's set to a sound you like, it'll still be a sound you like when you change guitars.
I'm happy you dig your new amp, Blooz............I'd have felt terrible if you hadn't liked it. I liked my Epi (So Cal) also, as you did your Blues Custom, but the OTS is just so much..............more.;)

M29
March 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Blooz, awesome review:AOK:

Ch0jin
March 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Wow, awesome review!

If there was ever any remaining doubt that Ceriatone amps are awesome, it's gone now!

All I need is another job to justify the Plexi head, the JCM800 head, the Overtone Special, the Deluxe Reverb.......

All for research reasons of course :)

tunghaichuan
March 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm jonsing for their Marshall Silver Jubilee head, as I'll not likely be able to ever afford an original.

tung

Wow, awesome review!

If there was ever any remaining doubt that Ceriatone amps are awesome, it's gone now!

All I need is another job to justify the Plexi head, the JCM800 head, the Overtone Special, the Deluxe Reverb.......

All for research reasons of course :)

Eric
September 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hey Blooz,

Now that you've had this amp for a year and a half (provided you still own it -- do you?), I will assume that the honeymoon period is over.

How do you like it at this point? How does it rank with your other amps? How much use does it get? What sort music do you use it for?

I don't actually know what amp(h)s you have, so I can't exactly ask how it compares to specific amps you might own, but in the general sense, what is the character of this amp?

I've been looking at Ceriatone for a while, and while any purchase is a ways off, I'm always interested in collecting more information.

deeaa
September 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
It's funny BTW I haven't touched my Ceria's tone controls in years, literally. At some point I ripped off the knobs and attached them back to show 12 position so I can always dial back my fave tone if they're messed with, and that's how they've stayed ever since.

I _think_ I have cut some trebles on it and added mids.

And yeah, it responds real well to especially V1 tube change. And yes it's a very well balanced amp.

I however think it's also a very 'transparent' amp and if you use a very wide freq speaker with it, it is too bright and such; speakers like the V30's 'reveal' too much. I vastly prefer old, midrangey low wattage speakers.

It's no wonder I guess, it's the 18W design which IS an old design...so maybe that's why my 60's-70's Celestion 25W speakers work so wonderfully with it.

I would REALLY love to get me a JCM800 clone as well from Ceria.

oldguy
September 24th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Hey Blooz,

Now that you've had this amp for a year and a half (provided you still own it -- do you?), I will assume that the honeymoon period is over.

How do you like it at this point? How does it rank with your other amps? How much use does it get? What sort music do you use it for?

I don't actually know what amp(h)s you have, so I can't exactly ask how it compares to specific amps you might own, but in the general sense, what is the character of this amp?

I've been looking at Ceriatone for a while, and while any purchase is a ways off, I'm always interested in collecting more information.

Eric,
I'm in no way trying to answer for Bloozcat, although I can explain a couple points for you, as I also own the Overtone. It is a clone of Alexander Dumble's Overdrive Special, Nik @ Ceriatone builds several versions nowadays, 40w, 100w, Blues Special, etc. It is my main go-to amp always, and I love pairing it w/ the Jet City 20w head for a big sound.
Blooz hopefully will check in w/ a better, more detailed account of his experience w/ his Overtone.

Bloozcat
September 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Well, it's still one of my main go to amps whenever I sit down to play. And that's considering that I own a 65' Fender black face Band Master, an Epiphone BC 30, a Crate Vintage Club 30 and Vintage Club 20, and a modded Epi VJ.

My version is the straight 50 watt, not one of the HRM's ("hot rubber monkey") or otherwise modded versions. I play mainly blues and blues based rock and this amp easily does that in several different modes. One of the things that sets these Dumble clones apart from other amps I think is their versatility and sensitivity. Subtle EQ changes can make big differences in the tone as well as the touch sensitivity.

I like the tone of humbucker guitars through this amp more so than single coils, and my favorite guitar to play through this amp is my Ibanez AS-73 with the Guitarforce Vintage 57 pickups. The combination does everything from a warm, clean, BB King through a fatter, more overdriven blues/rock tone. I haven't specifically tried to dial in a Robben Ford Dumble tone as many who've bought this amp have.

As Dee said, it is a very transparent amp which requires you to concentrate on your playing. Every nuance of your instrument comes through...but so does every mistake in your playing. Not a bad thing at all as it forces you to concentrate more on your playing.

Of the speakers I have the 2X12 G12H30's and the 2X12 G12H30/WGS Veteran 30 (Celestion Vintage 30 clone) both sound very good. The Celestion 2X12 G12-65 is one combo that seems to be very popular for those trying to get that Robben Ford Dumble tone. I think part of this is due to the G12-65 being a less efficient speaker compared to the other Celestions mentioned (and most of the Eminence Redcoat/Patriot line). This allows the amp to be cranked up without the deafening volumes that a 50W tube amp can deliver. I'd consider trying them if I wasn't up to my ears in speakers already.

If I had to give a short, concise description of this amp it would be: Versatility, sensitivity, and high-fidelity.

Eric
September 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.

oldguy
September 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Here's a rather long, boring jam I did to a BT with mine.......not the most inventive instrumental, but a fair idea of the sound with my Agile AL3000.

LkBgtxxq6ok

Katastrophe
September 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I swear, oldguy, you could play through a stringed cheese grater and make it sound good.

I've heard you through several amphs and guitars now, and am always impressed with the quality of your tone. You, sir, have good hands. Or, it could be the overalls.:happy

oldguy
September 25th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Thanks, Kat, and I do believe you're on to something.............. my theory is the overalls cause me to set all the amphs and guitfiddles to sound the same no matter what they should sound like..........and the end result you either like or you don't.

Thanks again for the compliment.:)

Ch0jin
October 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Nice demo OG. I can see why you love that amp!