PDA

View Full Version : recording how to..

ted s
July 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hey folks, just searched the recording forum but still would like to ask.. how can I try my hand at recording with little/no expense ? I have a PC with a sound card and a Korg Pandora. Is it as simple as plugging my ax directly into the line in on the sound card ? Sorry if my plan sounds rediculous but I don't know.

thanks

Ted

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I was also wondering how do most of you record, do you use a mic or plug it directly (which I don't know how) and what software do you guys use for recording?

oldguy
July 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM
I do most of my recording on an older Boss br532 digital recorder, but there are many better options out there nowadays. This site offers some suggestions for PC recording and price vs. sound quality. Hope it helps.;) http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_record_guitar_on_pc.php
Glenn
P.S.- I am not endorsing any of the products on the site! I have not used them. Just thought the information might be helpful.

Robert
July 16th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I use a microphone (SM 57) in front of my amp, then into an audio interface (Tascam US-122, a USB interface). The software I use is Cubase. I have a tiny kid's keyboard which I can use to program some basic drums with Cubase. Lastly, I play my SX bass line in into the US-122.

ted s
July 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM
thanks guys, good info.

Guitar-Chris
July 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
As a very cheap way to start recording, there is the rpgram Kristal.

Look at Kristal Website (http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/)

It can do 16 Tracks and Effects. It comes with some basic effect. Some more, very good, but free effects you can get at kjaerhusaudio (http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php).

I use a small Behringer mixer (UB802), where the microfone Sennheiser e835 for voice and a sm75 clone for the amp are plugged in. From there it goes into a m-audio audiophile 2496 recording card.

Cranium
July 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Robert so the Tescam records multiple tracks and then you just edit with the Cubase program?

ted s
July 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I have a copy of jammer and Krytal, bought an adaptor from 1/4" to 1/8", will try line in direct from axx into sound card, see if any smoke comes out. :cool:

Robert
July 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I can record 2 tracks at a time with the Tascam US-122. I record only one at a time at home, so it's enough for me.

I record them one at a time on individual tracks in Cubase, and then I add effects and mix the whole thing until it sounds decent (which it never does) :).

Cranium
July 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Lol why not just turn on the backing track/midi file and record it all in 1 track with the guitar through the mic?

Robert
July 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Because it is much more flexible to record on individual tracks. I record one track for bass, sometimes 3 tracks for guitar (rhythm and lead). Then there could be tracks of vocals, etc. You can then adjust volume levels as you want. If you record everything on one track, you lose the ability to adjust the volume levels, as well as any way of adjust the sound of each track (eq, effects).

Cranium
July 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM
What do you use for drums?

Robert
July 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Sometimes Groove Agent, a VST plugin that is very easy to use.

I also use LM7 - it is another VST plugin that comes bundled with Cubase.

Guitar-Chris
July 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I have a copy of jammer and Krytal, bought an adaptor from 1/4" to 1/8", will try line in direct from axx into sound card, see if any smoke comes out. :cool:

Most times, the latency of the cheaper soundcards is not very well. So you have adelay between hearing and recording a track. That will not sound to good. But give it a try. Perhaps the adio4all driver is right for you.

ted s
July 17th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Right on Christian, there is a delay. Other than that it sounds ok. What's this audio4all driver ? I'll search for it but can you comment ?

thanks

Ted

Guitar-Chris
July 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Right on Christian, there is a delay. Other than that it sounds ok. What's this audio4all driver ? I'll search for it but can you comment ?

ASIO is a special driver structure for soundcards. It makes it possible, that the program can read the input sound with minimum latency. So, if you hear one track and record the next to it, both tracks shouldn't have a time offset.

Better recording card come with a special ASIO driver for it. If you haven't got one, you can test the ASIO-For-All driver. This will enable the same setting possibilities as for pro-cards in most times - not all.

You can find it under http://www.asio4all.com/