PDA

View Full Version : How tall are you?

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I was wondering how tall most people here are and how does it affect your guitar playing or any other things, generally I figure taller people have bigger hands so it might feel more comfortable to play, on the other hand it could be uncomfortable to play sitting because it would be hard to keep your back straight. Im about 5'10-5'11 (not sure) about 179 cm for those who don't know in inches, so how tall are you guys and how does it affect ya? :R

Robert
July 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I am 169 cm and it affects me in the way that I feel small. Haha!

Another thing, I am kinda skinny since I'm a runner, and certain guitars have sharp body edges and I get bruised ribs after playing a long gig. That was one of the reasons I sold my Reverend Rocco guitar - you could cut cheese with the side of that guitar.

Tim
July 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I am 5" 10" and shrinking. My weight is .. well it's over 200 lbs. I would rather play standing up I have not found at what level I want the gutar to hang. If it is too low, my wrists start to hurt. If it is too high, then I feel like I am being choked. There must be a happy medium somewhere.

Katastrophe
July 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm only about 5'7", but I have long, skinny fingers that seem to do okay for guitar work. There are guitarists out there with all kinds of hand sizes. For example, I like to use Andres Segovia as an example...

See him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA&search=segovia

One of the best classical and flamenco players ever, IMO, and he has short, stubby fingers.

SRV and Jimi Hendrix both had huge hands, that could wrap around a Strat neck easily, enabling them to do chord work with their thumbs...

Even as short as I am, I find myself hunching over the guitar quite often when practicing, if I'm trying to concentrate.

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I think my hands are a bit unproportional, they are quite alot bigger for my height then alot of people I know that are about my height, by the way Tim Im sortof like you, also kinda overweight so I usualy have my guitar just above the waistline for the best performance. Robert you don't seem small, your hands are quite skinny so its hard to tell if your big or small, my hands are all "buffy" so its hard to tell how big I am by my hands sometimes, I also have those big and "buffy" fingers like Segovia, maybe just a bit longer, doesn't really bother me too much.

Maybe you guys have some pics of your hands on the fretboard, that would be nice to see :R

Iago
July 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I`m 5'8". but my hands are kinda small even for someone my height I guess, I like big necks though. I also need to strap the guitar with the pickups at my bellybutton level, thats the most comfortable position for me. in terms of fingers I dont know how mine affect the playing... maybe i have a lighter touch with my left hand than most people.

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I was hoping to get an oppinion of someone over 6ft tall and how it might affect him, although steve vai is like 6'2 he doesn't seem to have trouble, but who knows.

Spudman
July 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Maybe you guys have some pics of your hands on the fretboard, that would be nice to see :R

Cool. Lets start a "show us your hands" thread. To hell with pedal boards and guitars and amps, I say. I don't think any other guitar forum has done that one and we could be the first!:)

Iago
July 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM
well, believe it or not, that happened in a brazilian guitar forum I`m a member! hehehehehehe

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Thats a good idea really, maybe we can even have a pic thread for the whole...body? Cause I have really seen anyone here exept Robert, I bet you guys all look cool :cool: but not me :(

By the way guys can you also post your age and where you were born, lol :DR

SuperSwede
July 16th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Im 189cm.
I like spuds idea, why dont you start by posting yours spud?

Cranium
July 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Well Swade you seem pretty tall, does it affect you in any way on your playing?

SuperSwede
July 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Well..... I dont think that I would play different if I were shorter... Perhaps if I had shorter fingers, I dont know...

Spudman
July 16th, 2006, 09:14 AM
People say that I sound much taller than I really am. I do sometimes bump my head on the bottom of bridges so maybe I'm taller than I thought.

Iago
July 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
People say that I sound much taller than I really am.

HhahahaHAHAHhahah, that was great!:D

Cranium
July 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Nice, how tall are you actualy? And what are your ages guys, Im still growing! :D

SuperSwede
July 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM
nice hands spud, perhaps a little lotion could give you back that winning lustre.

Spudman
July 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
nice hands spud, perhaps a little lotion could give you back that winning lustre.

Those are my Jeff Beck hands. Fresh from the garage.

JLefty
July 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm 6'4 and 220ish. Fairly large hands with pretty good sized fingers. As far as playing goes I sit down alot since I don't play out. Started playing year and a half ago.

I don't know,I guess there's +'s and -'s for both the short and the tall:)

t_ross33
July 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM
5'-10" ish. Medium size hands/fingers. I really have to stretch to catch 4 frets :o That always bothered by back in my bass-player days. I'd see other players that just hung back and didn't seem to move around much (John Entwistle anyone?) - and there I'd be, scrambling like crazy up and down the neck :D

I've known guitar players with really big hands - chord an open A with one finger! I can fake it using two and have to use all four for most E/Am shape barre chords. Anyone else have this problem?

I also saw a rather well endowed young lady playing an acoustic and had to rest her, uhm...self between the bouts in order to play comfortably. I knew a lady who was rather heavy and she played with an open tuned guitar on her lap and used a butter knife for a slide...

I guess we all have our quirks and physical limitations. Some find gear to fit, others find methods to make the gear work for them. As long as it sounds good, eh?

Trev

Tim
July 18th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Yep! Must be your pickin' hand there Spuds. I can tell by the manicured fingers that you keep. I imagine you’re pretty wicked with the Travis style of playing.

Speaking of which? Does anybody know of any good “Travis” picking learning DVDs or lessons? I have dusted off my old Chet Atkins CDs and love hearing that guy play. I can’t believe he is gone 6 years already.

marnold
July 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM
4' 22 1/2", 12.7 stone

duhvoodooman
July 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
1830 mm / 110,000 grams.

I must be tall enough, because my feet reach the ground OK.

kerc
July 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM
6', 165 lb. I'm skinny!