PDA

View Full Version : The importance of timing and rhythm

Robert
February 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I will work on a video on this topic eventually, but for now, I just want to mention how extremely important it is to practice timing.

Many of my students can play pentatonic licks and blues rhythm patterns. Problem is, they often struggle to play it in time.

Simply put, playing with good time is a necessity for anyone who wants to sound good.

So what does good time mean? It means that every note played is accurately and tastefully with respect to the tempo. For more info on tempo, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(music)

What I'm getting at here is how to improve timing. Use a metronome, drum machine or groove to practice playing 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, triplets, etc; at different tempos. I think good backing tracks are great for practicing. I mean, playing to a metronome, how fun is that? Having a good groove going makes it so much more fun to practice.

A great way to improve is to record yourself practicing these things. When you listen back, you might find yourself thinking, wow, am I that off really? I have had that realization quite a few times myself... ;)

I have throughout my years of playing spent a lot of time with drum machines, and I learned a lot from it. It is time very well spent to work on rhythm, timing and meter. It is one major and very apparent difference between a great guitar player and a mediocre player. Take any good players like for example, Robben Ford, Keith Richards, SRV, Yngwie Malmsteen, Johnny Winter or David Gilmour - they all play with great time (I intentionally mentioned different type of players). They of course have other skills too, such as good technique, tone, and experience, but without good timing, they would sound like basement wannabies.

I started out by practicing scales and technique when I was young, and I got pretty good at it. Problem was, when I joined my first band, I sounded so terrible I couldn't believe. The problem? My timing was off the wall! I remember well an audition I did, and I did not get the job, most likely because I could not play tight. I went home and practiced with a drum machine and starting thinking about music instead of guitar, and my playing improved immensely.

So, I strongly recommend working on timing and rhythm early on, in order to become a solid guitar player. It is one of those things that people expect, and if timing isn't good, it becomes VERY apparent.

mcgreggor57
February 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Looking forward to watching it!

Fretcruiser
February 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Dude, I echo that completely. That's been an ongoing theme for me the past few months. I use a metronome every day, and now it feels weird when I don't use one to practice. I've seen so many improvements, it's not even funny.

This video is pretty useful. It's Paul Gilbert on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCojcP_6AkI

Here's Dave Weiner... Steve Vai's guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0SKrfdisk

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I agree. I always, always, always play with the drum machine in my BOSS RC-2 pedal.

I couldn't imagine trying to sound good without the timing nailed.

Spudman
February 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
All great points Roberto. Even though I had spent years playing in bands the few years that I didn't I got rusty. It was playing along with a sequencer that got my timing tight again especially playing along with funk grooves. It even changed my style somewhat.

just strum
February 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
It was playing along with a sequencer that got my timing tight again especially playing along with funk grooves.

Interesting, Mark Wein recommends the book "Funk Guitar - The Essential Guide" by Ross Bolton, for that very reason. I have it, but don't ask me if I used it:thwap:

t_ross33
February 15th, 2009, 11:48 AM
and... if you ever get a chance to record in a studio, a lot of producers like to nail everything to a grid. In the digital realm, timing is crucial!

I always thought I had pretty good timing, starting out as a bass player and all, but until I recently started practicing with a metronome or click, I didn't know how much work I had ahead of me :thwap:

just strum
February 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
...until I recently started practicing with a metronome or click, I didn't know how much work I had ahead of me :thwap:

The Gretsch will make the trip more pleasurable.

Robert
February 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Another BIG thing you should all be doing is: tap your foot to the beat. Even if you are just playing something by yourself, tap your foot the the 1/4 notes. It is VERY important, because it facilitates locking your body to the beat. Eventually, you will "feel" the beat in your head and body. It becomes natural.

Ideally, you should always be able to tell where in the beat you are, and if this is difficult, practicing tapping your foot will help A LOT. Just be patient and work on it over time. Some people have a natural ability for time, others may have to work on it, but you develop a great sense for time if you devote a few hours a week to practicing this.

t_ross33
February 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Another BIG thing you should all be doing is: tap your foot to the beat
Like dis here byes...:dude:

TNEg65rlnu4&feature=related

Robert
February 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I can't stress enough the importance of tapping your foot to the beat. It is very often overlooked by beginners, or they simple don't know they should doing this from day 1.

Ch0jin
February 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I can't stress enough the importance of tapping your foot to the beat. It is very often overlooked by beginners, or they simple don't know they should doing this from day 1.

That paragraph could be the single most important tip for any musician when they first touch an instrument.

Over the more than ten years I've been trying to teach myself how to play I've overcome quite a few things I thought impossible at the start, like using my pinky finger and barre chords for example. I now regularly play with a backing track to work on my timing and I could not agree more about the importance of timing.

However...

Although several people told me right after I picked up my first guitar "Always tap your feet" I never did. Now, all these years later, if I concentrate on tapping my foot to the beat I'm playing I invariably stumble and muck it all up. It's the most basic of all basics and I can't do it :(

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Another BIG thing you should all be doing is: tap your foot to the beat. Even if you are just playing something by yourself, tap your foot the the 1/4 notes. It is VERY important, because it facilitates locking your body to the beat. Eventually, you will "feel" the beat in your head and body. It becomes natural.

Ideally, you should always be able to tell where in the beat you are, and if this is difficult, practicing tapping your foot will help A LOT. Just be patient and work on it over time. Some people have a natural ability for time, others may have to work on it, but you develop a great sense for time if you devote a few hours a week to practicing this. I never tap my foot.

I've always wondered if I should start doing so.

just strum
February 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
another good example and I love the song

I-owDmKJfUk

Suhnton
February 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I do this. My neighbours on the 1st floor probably hate me.

street music
February 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
This is hardest part for me, I'm trying to get better at my timing and I really appreciate this thread more than you know.

Spudman
February 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I never tap my foot.

I've always wondered if I should start doing so.

Shaking or tapping your antennae or appendages is acceptable as well.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Ideally, you should always be able to tell where in the beat you are, and if this is difficult, practicing tapping your foot will help A LOT. Just be patient and work on it over time. Some people have a natural ability for time, others may have to work on it, but you develop a great sense for time if you devote a few hours a week to practicing this.

I did not start out doing this, and was certainly not taught to do it when I played piano growing up. I work on doing it now, and one really great way to learn I have found is to tap my foot in the car to whatever I am listening to, and if I am in a place where I can have one hand on the wheel, move my thumb and index finger (as if I was holding a pick) over the seam of my pants, trying to strum in time with what I perceive as the the lowest common denominator of the rhythm of the piece. It might be 1/8s or 1/16ths instead of quarter beats. This gets me moving my hand at the required pace while keeping track of the basic downbeats with my foot. It seems to be helping.

Robert
February 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Right on Steve! Yes, using your body (hands, feet, head, whatever) to follow the beat to a song you hear on the radio, tv, etc is great exercise. The point is to lock into the beat, and it is still good practice to do this even though you don't have your guitar with you. It definitely pays off in the long run.

Remember to record yourself periodically to see what your timing is really like. You can then tap your foot to your own recording! (hopefully...) :)

just strum
February 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
...and one really great way to learn I have found is to tap my foot in the car to whatever I am listening to,

Hopefully you don't listen to Rush Limbaugh:D

I actually listen to some of the CD's that come with various lesson books. I play the CD from "Blues You Can Use" and listen closely to the timing and try to get it ingrained in my head. Apply the same approach as SVL, but like most of us, I've always been pretty attentive to the music playing while driving. Sometimes I have to be amusing to the person next to me when I'm at a traffic light.

tot_Ou_tard
February 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Shaking or tapping your antennae or appendages is acceptable as well.
In certain company, yes.

I'll call you to bail me out.