PDA

View Full Version : Tribute Bands

evenkeel
February 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Until last Friday I had never been to a tribute band show. Always seemed a bit cheesy. But, my wife and I do some volunteer work at a local theatre (also at a foodbank/homeless shelter, very different deal). Anyway, the show last friday was "1964 The Tribute".

Fun show. The band had all the Beatles stuff down. The mannerisims, the sound, the guitars, the look all pretty much spot on. It was also great to hear a full on Beatles set done live. My Beatles memories are TV or records, so this was good in a way I had not expected.

Don't think I'll rush off to catch a Zep or Elvis or any tribute, but got to admit it was pretty fun stuff.

Spudman
February 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I've seen 2 Beatles tribute bands and really enjoyed them. They sounded authentic and had great costumes as well. It's great that we at least have tributes because I know I'll never get to see the original. That would be a dream come true for me.

Suhnton
February 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Technically not a tribute band, but I saw Dread Zeppelin in (IIRC) 1991. They put on a good show, although the guitar player looked more Ted Nugent than Jimmy Page.

M29
February 16th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I would have loved to hear the Beatles live and also Jimi Hendrix. The Beatles had a great live raw kind of sound on their early albums that I liked but live would have been great. I too only heard them on TV and records.

R_of_G
February 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I probably would have enjoyed seeing some of these bands too, but I've never really gotten the whole tribute thing. I'd rather see a band slip in the occasional cover of a song by a band they were influenced by than see a band trying to emulate another bands' whole live presentation. Maybe it's just me. I can live with not having seen things from before my time without seeing them imitated.

Geraint Jones
February 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band in Portugal 18 months back . They blew me away musically and as a mate pointed out there was no inter band fighting on stage . It was about 7 US dollars to get in and about 1 dollar a beer which greatly increased my enjoyment . The woman singing Great Gig in the Sky was outstanding , nailing it note for note .