PDA

View Full Version : That GP Magazine

bigoldron
February 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Is it me or is that GP magazine getting REALLY redundant? I started back getting GP when I started back playing a two or three years ago, but I let my subscription lapse about a year ago. In the 2 years I received it, I know I can remember Alex Lifeson being on two separate covers. This past week, I was in a Books-A-Million and I'll be doggoned if they didn't have Brad Paisley on the cover. I do remember him being on the cover right before my subscription expired, so I know at least those 2 artists were repeats. I have paid attention before and have seen a copy of the mag for about a year, do they like repeating themselves?

It's not that I don't think Alex or Brad deserves it or not. Both are excellent, talented artists, but does GP really have that hard of a time coming up with something new to report on? I haven't seen that problem with Premier Guitar and I could care less about GW.

tunghaichuan
February 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I've been buying guitar magazines for over 20 years and it has always been that way. They tend to recycle the same themes over and over. Jimi Hendrix cover? Check. Randy Rhodes tribute? Check. Ad nauseum. Although I liked GP way better in the 80s as they had many more DIY projects.

tung

Is it me or is that GP magazine getting REALLY redundant? I started back getting GP when I started back playing a two or three years ago, but I let my subscription lapse about a year ago. In the 2 years I received it, I know I can remember Alex Lifeson being on two separate covers. This past week, I was in a Books-A-Million and I'll be doggoned if they didn't have Brad Paisley on the cover. I do remember him being on the cover right before my subscription expired, so I know at least those 2 artists were repeats. I have paid attention before and have seen a copy of the mag for about a year, do they like repeating themselves?

It's not that I don't think Alex or Brad deserves it or not. Both are excellent, talented artists, but does GP really have that hard of a time coming up with something new to report on? I haven't seen that problem with Premier Guitar and I could care less about GW.

markb
February 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
A couple of years ago the UK magazine Guitarist had 6 straight months of dead guys on the cover. Relevant? Up with the zeitgeist? I think not :thwap:

just strum
February 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I didn't realize it until now, but I think my GP subscription ran out. I believe it was a two year subscription. I do know that I didn't even open the cover of the last few issues that came to the house.

bigoldron
February 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I was just thinking that skipping a few months and picking up the latest issue of GP is not unlike the soaps. You can miss months or even years and pick right up where you left off.:whatever: