PDA

View Full Version : Guitar selling stat

evenkeel
February 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Found this stat...

Music Trades provides census information about the US music industry. Their report indicates that 2,991,260 guitars were sold in the US in 2006. Of those, 1,490,260 were Acoustic and 1,501,000 were Electric (or roughly a 50/50 split).

I was very surprised by this. Not the total #, but the 50/50 split. Every guitar store I've ever been in has vastly more electrics on display than acoustics.

Curious as to what the fretters think. :confused:

just strum
February 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM
That is interesting. I would think that the youth purchases would drive the electric side up resulting in more of a 60/40 split at least. It's probably skewed like that because they obviously picked up yours, CB's, Shiner's, and Pike's purchases.

Childbride
February 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
That is interesting. I would think that the youth purchases would drive the electric side up resulting in more of a 60/40 split at least. It's probably skewed like that because they obviously picked up yours, CB's, Shiner's, and Pike's purchases.

;)

scgmhawk
February 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'm very surprised at that split. I started off with an acoustic (a billion years ago) which probably helped since the action was so high! I would think most kids nowadays -- mine included -- start off with an electric which is easier to play and get sounds like their favorite bands.

street music
February 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Most music stores in this area have a lot of acoustic guitars in their stock, my favorite store in West Virginia has Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Fender , Guild, BlueRidge, and Yamaha in their shop.

Brian Krashpad
February 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'm very surprised at that split. I started off with an acoustic (a billion years ago) which probably helped since the action was so high! I would think most kids nowadays -- mine included -- start off with an electric which is easier to play and get sounds like their favorite bands.

^ This exactly, including starting on an acoustic and my agreement that it probably helped by having to fight with it a bit.