PDA

View Full Version : Yee-haw! New BYOC Flanger comin' soon!

duhvoodooman
February 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Keith "Mr. BYOC" Vonderhulls posted this video demo of his new flanger on YouTube yesterday:

XE7X3GjIeBo

This will be the first flanger kit BYOC has ever offered, and has been eagerly anticipated by us DIY pedal building crazies for well over a year. The release kept on getting pushed out by other projects & priorities, apparently. Keith has been taking a LOT of ribbing about it from the BYOC forum mods, one of whom referred to it as the "Chinese Democracy" flanger. :D

Anyway, it's getting very close now, or Keith wouldn't be putting a video demo out there. I understand beta kits should be available soon, and you can bet yours truly will be pushing to be a "beta builder".

Feature-wise, it looks (and sounds!) very cool, incorporating the key features of two classic analog flanger circuits--the MXR and A/DA flanger pedals. The video demo covers it all pretty thoroughly. Not sure what that enclosure size is--definitely seems bigger than the standard 125B, but doesn't look to be as wide as the 1590B that the BYOC analog delay uses. (UPDATE: It is a 1590B enclosure, same one used for the analog delay and the size I use for my ZYS pedal, for those of you familiar with that. Apparently the YouTube "window" size distorts the dimensions of Keith's video.) The jacks are at the top in keeping with the design Keith is using for all his new pedals and redesigns of the existing kits. Definitely makes it nicer to install on a pedal board.

No word on price yet, but these designs that use "bucket brigade" analog delay chip technology aren't cheap. I don't think it will be as high as the analog delay, but we'll just have to see. As far as build difficulty goes, I'd anticipate it to be somewhere in the intermediate to advanced range, just as a guess. If I get to beta one, I'll know for sure.