PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this amp in the U.S? Marshall VS30R (UK)

sirzune
February 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Marshall Valvestate VS30R Amplifier was made in the UK in the mid 90s. It's power requirement is: 120v / 50hz (instead of 60hz). It has no switchable power source.

I know it's old, but I want to try it out.

Thanks

Geraint Jones
February 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hello sirzune , if you plug in your amp in using a 60hz main supply it should result in your transformer delivering more current to your amp causing it to overheat and if the transformer has fuses probably blow them in time. A lot of transformers though are set to handle both 50/60hz it may be worth opening it to check the transformer itself.

sirzune
February 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Hello sirzune , if you plug in your amp in using a 60hz main supply it should result in your transformer delivering more current to your amp causing it to overheat and if the transformer has fuses probably blow them in time. A lot of transformers though are set to handle both 50/60hz it may be worth opening it to check the transformer itself.

Well I can't open it without actually breaking it. It's constructed in such a way that you can't get into actual amp area without breaking the contacts. Thanks for the reply, though.

Geraint Jones
February 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I`ve just been on the Marshall forum , there`s a few threads from guys moving from the us to uk and vice versa who`ve just used voltage regulators so i guesss for you it should`nt be a problem , if in doubt try posting on there .

sirzune
February 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I`ve just been on the Marshall forum , there`s a few threads from guys moving from the us to uk and vice versa who`ve just used voltage regulators so i guesss for you it should`nt be a problem , if in doubt try posting on there .

Well, I gave in: I plugged it up and it works perfectly! Now I'll still have to know whether the difference in hz will affect the transformer in some way later. It's just so difficult to get that answer when I can't even open it without breaking the solid unremovable pins that hold the amp housing to the case.

Thanks for your posts.