PDA

View Full Version : Black History Month - The Music

just strum
February 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
A big part of Black history that hasn't received the recognition in the print media and TV this month it deserves. The music here is just a small example of music that inspired millions to pick up a guitar.

xuRhaDrnlWo

qck-s79efuw

eGI-NK8OMhU&feature=related

tvsbFc8uzOY&feature=related

4Ny5ajCn0xw

zYrVwGxlcFA&feature=related

tjcurtin1
February 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hey, Mark - great stuff! Thanks for dishin' it up for us. Good thoughts about the history and the music.

just strum
February 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hey, Mark - great stuff! Thanks for dishin' it up for us. Good thoughts about the history and the music.

Thanks. I would like to see some of the others post some as well. I don't have the blues knowledge of the early blues artist like a few of the others here.

wingsdad
February 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
...music that inspired millions to pick up a guitar.

The early & legendary Black Blues guitarists, for sure...and sadly, the US of A of the 50's and into the early 60's buried them under the covers, relegating most if not any radio airplay to 'race music' stations.

But let's not forget this guy flashing a Cherry Red Gibson ES345 who was among some of those cats like Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy cutting tracks for Chicago's Chess Records...and like the Bluesmen you've posted thus far, had a huge influence on the young White British players and bands that emerged as the 'British Invasion'.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UN6rXaNhM2w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UN6rXaNhM2w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And then there was this 'other' Black Music that sprang out of Detroit as the 50's turned into the 60's...powered by a group of studio cats...the Funk Brothers.

This clip's first 10 seconds or so is weird...my French is a bit rusty...but there's subtitles..but hang with it to meet the Funk Brothers original cast and then as they were in 2001...embedding is disabled on this, but here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-PNmGMTD-s

It's taken from this documentary released in 2002...if you've never seen it, rent it, borrow it...I did, and then I just had to buy it to get more as the Deluxe DVD set has a 2nd disc with hours more stuff not in the originally released movie:
http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
If we're talking soul music, we'd be remiss not to discuss Stax and when you discuss Stax, you must start with the MG's as they were the backbone of so much of what was recorded on the Stax label.

Time Is Tight - Booker T & The MGs

dHq4laFwAEM

Green Onions - Booker T & The MGs

czuKJeH-t84

And of course, my favorite singer of all time, Otis Redding (backed by the MG's)...

These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding

fL0dYXJ62XI

Can't Turn You Loose - Otis Redding

pOXq_vLCjco

oldguy
February 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Here you go.

xZ40kVRvcdk

d646s7mknm8&feature=related

wingsdad
February 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
If we're talking soul music, we'd be remiss not to discuss Stax and when you discuss Stax, you must start with the MG's as they were the backbone of so much of what was recorded on the Stax label.

+1, R_of_G :beer:

Only running out of time this morning kept me from bringing up Stax/Volt and Memphis/Muscle Shoals soul.

Thanks for picking those tunes...

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
+1, R_of_G :beer:

Only running out of time this morning kept me from bringing up Stax/Volt and Memphis/Muscle Shoals soul.

Thanks for picking those tunes...

You're welcome and my pleasure. Definitely among my favorite music ever recorded. I could (and have) listen to nothing but Otis for days.