PDA

View Full Version : Monkeys

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
No not the "hey hey we're the Monkees" kind. Primates. Animals. My father in law hates them. I always laughed at him because of that but really when it comes down to it he's right.

"Take your stinking paws off me you damned dirty ape".

Discuss.

SuperSwede
February 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Personally I dont have anything against monkeys.. But I dont think that its nice to watch them at the zoo, they seem to copulate a lot in the open.

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Personally I dont have anything against monkeys.. But I dont think that its nice to watch them at the zoo, they seem to copulate a lot in the open.

They'll also eat or throw their poop at you too.

SuperSwede
February 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
They'll also eat and throw their poop at you too.

True true but so does dogs (eat it).
Dont know any other animal that throws it at you except possibly humans.

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I loved the "Planet of the Apes" series as a kid, "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp" as well, so I guess I like chimps. Monkeys are fun to watch, but I don't like them as much as chimps. I like the intelligent expressions and behaviors chimps demonstrate. I find also the large gorillas and apes fascinating. Jane Goodall's work impressed me.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Let me tell you guys a little story that has led to a phrase that has been a motto amongst my friends for a long time now...

A friend of mine used to be a professional comedy writer. When he first started in the business it was the 1990's and his first job was for The Jon Stewart Show, not the Daily Show but the original Jon Stewart Show on MTV. His first day on the job he met Stewart and asked him if he had any advice for him as a beginner in comedy writing. Stewart told him "monkeys are always funny." They've been words to live by ever since.

hagarfreak33
February 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I don't understand why people try to keep them as pets-although when i was a kid B.J. and the Bear seemed cool and the orangutan that drove the car in the cannonball run was cool too.:D
I do love The Monkees though:beer:

Bloozcat
February 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I like monkeys just fine...in the wild. I despise zoos, they're nothing but wild animal prisons. I'm not an animal "rights" person, I just believe that wild animals should be left in the wild. Want to see them? Go to their habitat, don't cage them up and bring them home.

Just look at the case in Connecticut where the 200 lb. "pet" chimpanzee on Xanax mauled a woman visitor, biting off both her hands and ripping her face to shreds. Chimps are not domestic pets, they're wild animals, and they react like wild animals.

Rocket
February 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Is this thread about monkeys or apes?

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Let's rename it Primates. Monkeys and apes.

markb
February 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The bonobo or pygmy chimpanzee is the randiest animal in the world.

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4451/BonobosLikeHumans.html

peachhead
February 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Chimps are not domestic pets, they're wild animals, and they react like wild animals.

+1. :AOK:

just strum
February 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Just look at the case in Connecticut where the 200 lb. "pet" chimpanzee on Xanax mauled a woman visitor, biting off both her hands and ripping her face to shreds. Chimps are not domestic pets, they're wild animals, and they react like wild animals.

My son just told me about this when I got home, you're right, they are wild animals and don't belong in that environment where something like that could happen.

I'm not against Zoo's because they do a lot of good for the animal kingdom. Most Zoo's are not like the Zoo's of my childhood.

I noted here before that I lived just a couple of blocks from the Zoo when I was a kid.

They'll also eat or throw their poop at you too.

My buddy and I use to stand off to the side of the chimp cage waiting for the unsuspecting school tours to walk past the cage and WHAP!!! they would get hit by the poop balls. Maybe that's where I got my appreciation for bathroom humor.

marnold
February 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
A friend of mine used to be a professional comedy writer. When he first started in the business it was the 1990's and his first job was for The Jon Stewart Show, not the Daily Show but the original Jon Stewart Show on MTV. His first day on the job he met Stewart and asked him if he had any advice for him as a beginner in comedy writing. Stewart told him "monkeys are always funny." They've been words to live by ever since.
In the immortal words of David Letterman, "Flyin' monkeys is funny."

Ch0jin
February 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Thank you.

I hung out with a girl who hand raised Chimpanzees (not monkeys) in the UK and she switched me on to a book called "Next of Kin" by Roger Fouts. She also got annoyed when people swapped "Monkey" for "Ape"

Probably not on the required reading list for creationists as the author is clearly an evolutionist (just a warning), but I highly recommend it. He talks a lot about teaching chimps to communicate using sign language, people who raise them as pets (as has been stated, not a good idea), research and environmental issues and so on. It's a massively eye opening book if you can hunt down a copy.

Ch0jin
February 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Chimps are not domestic pets, they're wild animals, and they react like wild animals.

I agree completely. In these cases it's almost always the fault of Humans, not the Primate. As is explained in the book I mentioned in the previous post, you can teach them to communicate, you can toilet train them and groom them, heck one woman in the book even had a pet Chimp that could make a cup of tea and/or Gin and Tonic from scratch, but no matter what, there are thousands of years of animal instinct just below the surface. Something thats best not forgotten when interacting with them.

I'm scared of Human women with PMS. Imagine if you will a 200KG Chimp with PMS. Better yet, read the book ;)

Bloozcat
February 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I agree completely. In these cases it's almost always the fault of Humans, not the Primate. As is explained in the book I mentioned in the previous post, you can teach them to communicate, you can toilet train them and groom them, heck one woman in the book even had a pet Chimp that could make a cup of tea and/or Gin and Tonic from scratch, but no matter what, there are thousands of years of animal instinct just below the surface. Something thats best not forgotten when interacting with them.

I'm scared of Human women with PMS. Imagine if you will a 200KG Chimp with PMS. Better yet, read the book ;)

There is (was?) a chimpanzee rescue shelter nearby that took in animals from labs, government studies, etc. The people who ran the place taught the chimps to communicate using sign language. It was really interesting to learn just how developed their minds are. The chimps could communicate at the level of a small child of about 6 years old.

One of the most interesting stories that I saw was a taped account of the interaction between one of the women biologists who worked at the facility, and a female chimp who had developed a relationship with the woman. During the course of her involvement there, the woman became pregnant. She later developed complications and lost the baby. When she returned to the facility afterwards, the female chimp noticed that the woman was no longer pregnant and asked through sign language where her baby was. The woman answered that she had lost the baby, that it had died during birth. Amazingly, the female chimp then said that she knew the sorrow the woman felt, that she had lost a baby herself.

Now, keep in mind that this communication was at a very basic level, but what the female chimp had expressed to the woman was unmistakable.

I've never looked at chimps in the same way after that....

EDIT: This is the facility I was speaking of:
http://www.savethechimps.org/about.asp

Cottonwood King
February 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Speaking of which:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/19/chimp.cartoon.apology/index.html

check that out.

Bloozcat
February 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Speaking of which:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/19/chimp.cartoon.apology/index.html

check that out.

This whole thing is utterly ridiculous. President Obama did not write the stimulus bill. In fact, no bill is written by any President, bills are written by Senators and Congressmen/Congresswomen. But, I guess it's too much to expect of the critics of the editorial cartoon to know anything about how our federal government works.

The NY Post editor was correct in portraying people like Al Sharpton as the opportunists they are.

A small group of us at work recently did a presentation to the company on succession planning. To inject a little humor at the end of our power point presentation, we used as an example of how not to approach the subject, a TV commercial that aired in the last year or two. In the commercial, a man was in a staff meeting about sales. Everyone in the company except him, were chimpanzees who were all misreading the company's disasterous financial situation, prefering to delude themselves and just have a party instead.

Well, the man responsible for suggesting and finding this little humor skit for our presentation is black. No one ever gave a thought to any linkage between chimpanzees and black people, least of all him. We all thought that a company mismanaged by chimps was hilarious...and so did everyone who saw it.

It's pretty sad when anything and everything no matter how innocently presented, has to be exploited as a racial attack by those who make a living of it.

Cottonwood King
February 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I know, it's really hard to do much of anything in America without sounding racist. We actually had a discussion about it during one of our Chapels at our university.

piebaldpython
February 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hmmmmmmm......sometimes I wonder if we HUMANS are any less "animal" than the animals themselves????? I say this because the City of Brotherly Love is once again burying one of it's finest, the 5th in 6 months.
The perp shot this cop dead right on the streets. Cop never knew what hit him. The perp had a gun in the pocket of his jacket and blasted away. :confused:

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hmmmmmmm......sometimes I wonder if we HUMANS are any less "animal" than the animals themselves?????

Sadly, I'd definitely say yes we are. That's a very sad story about the slain police officer.

piebaldpython
February 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hmmmmmm......this just isn't about cops either. I mean, in Philly, we have over 400 murders a year. It's damn ridiculous.

Bloozcat
February 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hmmmmmm......this just isn't about cops either. I mean, in Philly, we have over 400 murders a year. It's damn ridiculous.

Yeah, Philly is a dangerous little city...

I used to live accross the Delaware from Philly many years ago, and it wasn't as bad then as it is now...:(

oldguy
February 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like Kansas City.......... which would explain why I live in a camper on a farm outside the city when I'm working down there.

Ch0jin
February 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM

Wow. See, stuff like that messes with my colonial mind. After reading that I went to the Australian bureau of stats to check our murder rates for 2007.

I live in New South Wales, which according to the data had the highest murder rate. 163 people charged. Now to me, 163 people is a lot of people. It's bus loads of them in fact. But 400? Thats a whole new level.

OK I thought, lets break it down to percentages, maybe Philly is a big place.

Population of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania = 1,449,634 = 0.028% Murder rate

Population of the whole state of NSW (including Sydney, where I'm at) = 6,875,700 so 0.0024% Murder rate

Conclusion.

You're more than ten times more likely to be murdered in Philly than in the most dangerous big city in Australia. Time to move my friends :)