PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix on the Lulu show 1969

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Great rendition by the Voodoo Chile himself accompanied by Geddy Lee on bass and Alex Lifeson on drums.....

jE80W5xYbTI&feature=rec-HM-r2

snoglobe
February 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Great rendition by the Voodoo Chile himself accompanied by Geddy Lee on bass and Alex Lifeson on drums.....

jE80W5xYbTI&feature=rec-HM-r2

That's Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, Geddy Lee would have been 16 or so at the time and somehow I doubt he would have been skipping his Grade 10 classes hopping on a plane to London to play with Hendrix. Just saying.

marnold
February 19th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I assume you're kidding? That's Noel and Mitch, although I will admit that Noel looks quite a bit like Geddy here. Not sure if that's a compliment.

R_of_G
February 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Great rendition by the Voodoo Chile himself accompanied by Geddy Lee on bass and Alex Lifeson on drums

That's Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, Geddy Lee would have been 16 or so at the time and somehow I doubt he would have been skipping his Grade 10 classes hopping on a plane to London to play with Hendrix. Just saying.

Not to mention that Lifeson plays guitar, not drums. Tell you what though, I'd have gladly skipped the entirety of tenth grade to play with Hendrix. :D

Tone2TheBone
February 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yes I was kidding. You guys should know me by now. LMAO

I also apologize cause I have seen the vid posted here before. I just couldn't help but make the comparisons to Geddy and Alex though and to see who caught it.

evenkeel
February 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
If my memory is right on this Lulu was supposed to come up and sing with Hendrix on Hey Joe. He went into "Sunshine" just as she was coming on stage. I'm sure I've seen a clip somewhere of Lulu stomping off, very annoyed.

Or, yet another example of hazy 60's memories.

SuperSwede
February 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Man thats a good clip, thanks toneboy.

Jimi75
February 20th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Wasn't it that Jimi was supposed to play "Hey Joe" and they played Voodoo wihtout the directors knowing it - to their big surprise of course?

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Wasn't it that Jimi was supposed to play "Hey Joe" and they played Voodoo wihtout the directors knowing it - to their big surprise of course?

It was definitely "Sunshine of Your Love" they substituted for "Hey Joe" to the dismay of the show's producers.

Here's the clip. The switch to "Sunshine" starts at 2:59 with Jimi saying they'd like to stop playing "this rubbish" and dedicate a song to Cream.

gv3cKLWQimE

You gotta love Jimi not allowing some tv producer to tell him what music he gets to play. He's not a jukebox, he's a person. He'll play what he wants.

Jimi75
February 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
It was definitely "Sunshine of Your Love" they substituted for "Hey Joe" to the dismay of the show's producers.

R_of_ G thanks so much for posting the scene I meant! :master:

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
No problem. I think the best part is the look on Mitch's face in the beginning. He knows what's going to happen and he just has this grin on his face like "he heh, watch this because this is gonna be funny!"

evenkeel
February 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
So my memory is not totally out of wack!!! Thanks R_of_G. :bravo:

You do pick up the band laughing, knowing the joke is coming. They also seem less than into playing Hey Joe. Little bit sloppy.

Good post. :beer:

R_of_G
February 20th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I just love and remember stories like these where a producer tried to force an artist to play a specific song only to have the artist start the song and then transition into whatever they actually wanted to play. The Hendrix story always stands out, as does Elvis Costello on SNL being told to play "Less Than Zero" but opting to stop playing that and go into "Radio Radio" instead.