PDA

View Full Version : Johnson JR-200 resonator clip

tjcurtin1
February 19th, 2009, 10:34 PM
OK, this may be my one and only ever...

Well, this was recorded back in '35 on a wire recorder, so excuse the sound quality:whatever: Actually, it sounds about like that, but it's through the mic on my laptop - clearly not as good as on Oldguy's:thwap:

Anyway, some idea of the sound of this cheepo resonator - recording quality kinda gives it that old-timey flavor;) The tune is Vestapol. Sorry for any and all clams...

http://www.box.net/shared/nkf3arsrch

Jipes
February 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
OK, this may be my one and only ever...

Well, this was recorded back in '35 on a wire recorder, so excuse the sound quality:whatever: Actually, it sounds about like that, but it's through the mic on my laptop - clearly not as good as on Oldguy's:thwap:

Anyway, some idea of the sound of this cheepo resonator - recording quality kinda gives it that old-timey flavor;) The tune is Vestapol. Sorry for any and all clams...

http://www.box.net/shared/nkf3arsrch

Sounds good to me, a bit like a Mississipi John Hurt song :AOK: I like the slight bending (1/4 note ?)

tot_Ou_tard
February 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Great stuff Ted! Thanks for making the clip. I like the 1930s crackle too.

tjcurtin1
February 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Very kind of you guys... Anywhere else I'm sure I would have gotten flamed out for the low-fi recording, never mind the playing.

Well, Jipes, I'm still working on hitting those bends just right...!

M29
February 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
That is sweet tj, very nice indeed no flamin here:AOK: I have never played a resonator but I can just feel it, I gotta give one a try. Did ya have your fishin pole setting next to ya.......:D

tjcurtin1
February 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, M29. Yikes! Too cold for a fishin' pole up here just now in the Northeast (for me anyway)! I'm not sure what a cold-weather fishin' tune would sound like, but this one sounds like warmer weather to me...:D

BluesHowler
February 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Great playing! I gots to get a resonator guitar soon.

You don't need a fishing pole next to you playing like that. You just need some fried catfish and hush puppy's and wash em down with a Mason jar full of cheap Tennessee whiskey.

I've listened to your clip over 20 times and it just gets better each time I hear it. Post a longer one soon please!

piebaldpython
February 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM
AWESOME!! Dude, that was really good. You kept that bass nice and steady througout the whole tune with nice treble string fingerpicking. Takes a good bit of SKILL/TALENT to make those two parts mesh the way you did. Don't sell yourself short. Yeah, I could hear that MJH via Stefan Grossman vibe. Dig in a little bit and you'll evoke Taj Mahal.

Standard tuning I presume???? Oh, the CRACKLE is a great touch too.

So, since you have a reso.....when you gonna play turn out a SLIDE tune??

Let's see, I'm typing as I'm listening to you.......I have to be up into double digits by now. Love this stuff! :AOK:

M29
February 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
tj, I got the impression you were barefoot setting on a Mississippi riverbank with a fishing pole setting next to you as you were playing the guitar. Just an image from the style of music you were playing, a picture being painted in my mind. I did not notice where you were at. I am known for brain farts and senior moments for future reference. :D

wingsdad
February 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM
That was just spot-on, tj :bravo:

Cheapo Reso? :rotflmao:

You play it well, and that makes it sound as if it cost 3X as much.:beer:

The recording quality fits the tune, augments the mood & feel...I swear... I can hear the catfish a-jumpin'...;)

just strum
February 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
TJ, very nicely done and a warm little tune.

tjcurtin1
February 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Standard tuning I presume???? Oh, the CRACKLE is a great touch too.

So, since you have a reso.....when you gonna play turn out a SLIDE tune??

:AOK:
Sorry, PBP - should have noted that it's in open D tuning - I was scared of the idea of non-standard tuning but it's fun. I am working on the slide, which is also fun, and not as hard as I thought it would be. If I ever get to the point where I have a better means to record, (the crackle was really not intentional!) maybe I'll try something else. Funny you should mention Taj - I was just listening to some 70's stuff with him playing a National.

Again, thanks everyone for the encouraging words - I had to play that about a thousand times before it began to sound like anything, which is true for most stuff for me. But I do find that the journey to get there is satisfying, so I'll keep working at it. I do notice that I'm getting a little better as time goes on. Hanging out with you all here has been a big encouragement... to more than just GAS:D (Robert may remember my NON-playing when we met in Boston...) And I don't think that I ever would have felt 'safe' enough to post music anywhere else.

M29 - I was just joshin' along with your image, since it made me shiver to think of it in this chilly weather! BTW, I notice that you, too, are in frigid territory - if the tune made you imagine yourself momentarily in a warmer place, I'm glad to have been of service;)

tot_Ou_tard
February 21st, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'll be at that fishin' hole sometime too Ted.

piebald. I have some Stephen Grossman lessons & I am a big big taj fan, but who is MJH?

Algonquin
February 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM
+1 on all the comments above. The fishing comment is spot on, and it definitely has that warm feeling going for it!

Well done :bravo:

oldguy
February 21st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hey, TJ, I just let this play about 10 times in a row and I'm lovin' it!:D :D

I never could get my fingers co-ordinated to pick like that, you are doing a great job, those bends sound great also. Keep up the good work, this stuff just makes me smile.:) :) :)