PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Searching for a mod similar to the TBX/Delta Tone Control

msteeln
February 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Had this pre-made device in a Strat years ago, made by a guy who's web site was full of great ideas/info/mods. Sold ones for Tele's and bass as well.
His small creation was mounted on/replacing the pot end of the tone knob, inside the cavity, and gave many tonal variations and PU choices by simply turning the multi-indented knob.
Not up on the TBX or DTC, and another product by StellarTone(?), but are (possibly) very much like my now mystery device.
I deffinitely want another in my someday-to-be CV Strat, but have had no luck yet finding the name/number in my file of stuffs & computer archives..., typical.

Sound familiar to anyone?
I think it's still made/sold, and was quite popular with insiders.

markb
February 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
One of Deaf Eddie's Fat-o-caster switches maybe? May not be what you're thinking of but sounds similar. The TBX is just a dual pot that acts as a regular 250k tone until it's halfway and then progressively works towards no load between 5-10. The Delta Tone control just has a notch at the end of the travel that takes the tone pot out of circuit. I have a TBX in my strat and a DTC in my tele. They both work as described.

http://deaf-eddie.net/

msteeln
February 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thank you so much, MB!

And, now that you are versed in all three, what do you think of them, pros/cons?
I'll do a search for more discussions.

I tend to set the PU's at bridge and neck, and leave it there, but the options are worth having the DE mod available.

Anybody tried the StellarTone stuff?

markb
February 20th, 2009, 07:44 PM
The TBX (wired to bridge and middle on my strat) is subtle and helps add zing to the neck/middle combo on the strat which is traditionally a bit dark due to the loading effect of two tone controls. It also adds a nice sparkle for shimmery chorus or tremolo tones. There is a mod for the TBX to make it work better with passive pickups. I could live with a normal tone control instead.

The Delta Tone/No-load control is probably more useful. It's like having a subtle treble booster in the guitar with distorted tones. It also works well for pushing a clean tone out front for country material where cranking the volume doesn't feel right. Again, I could do without it.

I don't have one of Eddie's switches. I'd just get lost in the combinations.

msteeln
February 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Much appreciated.